Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have three, a 7mm Weatherby Accumark with a 4.5 x 14 Leupold that shoots great, heavy but holds nice a very little recoil, killed one elk with this gun. I have a Mark V stainless fluted 300 Weatherby with a 3.5 x 10 Leupold and an accubrake,hits hard, can't stand the noise of the brake and don't like the recoil W/O the brake, I've killed 8 elk and 10 mulies with this gun, shoots lights out. The third gun is a factory second 30 06 Ultralight, shoots great, carries great, wobbles a little when shooting off hand, kicks like a mule when shooting 180 grain bullets, I now shoot 150's!

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always dreamed of affording a Weatherby as a kid. Now I have 4 and no desire to sell of trade any of them.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/09/11.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have never owned one, but have been there when other guys
have killed deer with 300WBY rifles, pretty devestating round.
Could only imagine shooting moose or elk with one. I have
often wonder if WBY sells more Vanguards than Mark Vs. Shop
in my are has a 257WBY built on an FN Mauser action, very cool
looking rifle but not my taste.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I stand corrected I once owned a Vanguard in 7mm-08 many
years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kman
This might be slightly OT but with the 6 lug being used for non wby calibers could you build a 358 norma mag on one? They chamber the 338 win mag in it.

I'm 99% sure they never chambered the 338WM on the six-lug .... there's NOT enough room to open the boltface to accomodate the .532" case head.

They did however chamber the six-lug for 338-06 A-Square.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I really like my 6-lug MK V.

The bolt operation and cartridge feeding is very smooth with minimal bolt slop when the bolt is fully open. I love the short bolt throw/scope clearance for my hand and two-position safety which locks the bolt closed when selected on. The out-of-the-box trigger is very good. My rifle has a matte finish of excellent quality, extremely consistent and well done, even in areas not visible when the barrel and action are installed in the stock. I love the handling and balance of this rifle too. It is 7 3/4 pounds with the scope mounted, which I feel is perfect. I think you get a lot for your money with the MK V. The more time I spend with it, the more I like it as a hunting rifle.

I have heard that the 9-lug is generally considered to be a bit smoother in operation than the 6-lug and also that the safety is a bit quieter to select "off" even though the safety on my rifle is certainly no noisier than my other rifles.

The most common dislikes of the MK V seem to be 1) people don't like the looks of the stock/rifle or 2) it is a push-feed action.

1) The Weatherby stock happens to fit me really well. I would encourage anyone who has sloping shoulders rather than square shoulders to try one-you may be pleasantly surprised like I was.

2) Some people will not be satisfied with anything but a controlled feed action, which is their prerogative.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As a young teenager drooled over the color weatherby catalogs. I made a note to myself to buy one when I could afford one. I have since purchased 1/2 dozen , I know they make no sense with all those locking lugs and such but everytime I take one hunting it does what it is supposed to do with minimal fanfare. I love the short bolt throw. I wish that Weatherby would modernize it and make it a 3 lug and lighten the action and or make a version out of titanium I think they would sell a boatload of them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all the Weatherby Mark V rifles built using the same action as what's used for the 460 Wby mag? Perhaps this is why they are so heavy?

...on earth as it is in Texas.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rick35: I currently own only one Weatherby MarkV Rifle and that model was made in Germany and is in caliber 224 Weatherby.
It has been a reliable and accurate Rifle for me.
I really like the "balance" of this handsome little Rifle. And that is saying something as I generally prefer long heavy barreled thick stocked Rifles for my Varminting needs.
I have lots of friends that own Weatherby MarkV's of various vintages and my friends have been pleased with them.
My Weatherby MarkV has an excellent trigger by the way.
Good luck if you are contemplating buying oen - they hold their value pretty well I do know that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The six-lug action was designed later than the original and was designed for standard rim diameter cartridges, which is why it weighs quite a bit less than the nine-lug.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just sold all my WinRemSav stuff and bought a Vanguard. My treat to myself upon retirement in 2012 will be a LH Mk5 German with Wby scope or a Crown Custom. It'll be a safe queen with few shots fired, but I worked all my life just to have a fancy Wby.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

[email protected]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
As a young teenager drooled over the color weatherby catalogs. I made a note to myself to buy one when I could afford one. I have since purchased 1/2 dozen , I know they make no sense with all those locking lugs and such but everytime I take one hunting it does what it is supposed to do with minimal fanfare. I love the short bolt throw. I wish that Weatherby would modernize it and make it a 3 lug and lighten the action and or make a version out of titanium I think they would sell a boatload of them.
um take an ultralite mkv and give it titanium reciver to make it even lighter with a 24" barrel this would be AWSOME aleady like my ul. weatherby a small bit better than my kimber 84m but make them weigh the same and laugh

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned a couple chambered in 300 Wthby over the years. I find the Mark V's to heavy and guady for my taste and the accuracy was only so so. I doubt I'd own another.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own six of them and at least one of them goes on any serious hunt I go on. Then again I am one of those no-loads that does a lot of what some of you eschew as "Paid Hunting."...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I own three MkV's.
The Fibermark .257 has easily taken more game than all my other rifles combined, from coyotes to elk.

The .300 began life as a Synthetic, and now wears a McMillan Edge stock. It's bedded, free floated, and recrowned, and shoots little bitty groups, like the .257.

The .416 Wby. is a Euromark model, with a beautiful piece of wood. It will go on the next trip abroad, to Argentina for water buffalo.

All are a little heavy compared to most other production guns, but the reliability and performance of these rifles is top notch, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Weatherby Accumark 338-378 is pulling .38 groups at 100 yards 4 shots. It is a awesome rifle.It is shooting as accurate as my Custom long range rifle.All I did was float the barrel a little better than factory.

1 and done
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A good long time ago I decided I wanted a .340 Wby. A few years back I stumbled across a stainless Fibermark in that caliber. That rifle and 210gr TSX's at 3100fps are going to stay in my arsenal for any foreseeable future. It's a bit on the heavy side, there's no getting around that, but for a .340 it doesn't seem to kick as hard as one would think either. (at least to me)

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I were to do it all over again, I'm undecided as to what I would actually do. However, things tend to have an allergic reaction to getting these things pointed at them...they leave a lasting impression on the victim. I like Weatherby cartridges...especially the 257 WBY and 338-378 WBY as seen below. My only complaint it the lack of options for the Mark V action as far as bottom metal and trigger replacements.

[Linked Image]

The land of the free because of the brave.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've shot several MkVs and some were very accurate factory rigs. I got burned on a new one in 7Wby(shot terrible), so haven't gambled on another. They are heavy for sure, about like toting a Rem Sendero.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I've owned a couple chambered in 300 Wthby over the years. I find the Mark V's to heavy and guady for my taste and the accuracy was only so so. I doubt I'd own another.

If the first was heavy and gaudy ... why did you get a second? Did you get stronger? More refined taste? ... smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 1234, 1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 75 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,650
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.