Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=616315

Great post above about a CO "solo" goat hunt. The author highly reccommends the brand of boots. worth the read.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OldForester
Anyone here use them? Our local boot store was having a sale today. Any pair of boots $100. I had never heard of Kenetrek before, and the tag said $359, so I wouldn't normally look at them anyway, but they had my size in a Mountain Extreme NI. They felt nice! So, I walked out of the store with them. They have a pretty stiff sole that might be a bit more than I need for most of my uses, but for a hundred bucks I didn't see how I could lose. Seemed like it would be a pretty good rugged terrain boot.

I also bought 2 pair of Danner Pronghorn GTX boots, one for my grandson and one for me.

i bought that same boot earlier this year. i wore them around the house for a day or two, then used them to pack into the backcountry for a sheep hunt. over 10 miles each way on new boots with full pack over a 9K'+ pass and no issues. i'm sold.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my kenetrek boots. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Far more comfortable than anything I've owned ex. Danner, Meindl, Cabelas Meindls alaskan hunters... Buy em all and sell them to us!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I wore mine last year on my coues hunt. I wasnt able to hike much at all as my ankle was very well sprained, but I made do. I wore them for a week at work in the mountains last week and I could definately feel them loosening up and they becamse quite comfortable towards the end.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I bought my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's a few years ago I went directly to their main store near Bozeman and had a talk with Jim Winjum. He advised about 15 hours of break-in before hunting with them, but mine only took about half that.

I hunted with them that fall when the weather was cool enough (they are surprisingly versatile in different temps, so anything from 50 down to zero qualified) and liked them a lot. The next year I wore them on a 2-week bear hunt in Alaska, and by the end of the hunt both the guide and my companion had blisters and wet feet. I didn't.

I've used them hard for another two hunting seasons since, and they're still in great shape. For me their a bargain at $359. $100 would be a steal!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine seem to leak. I will no more after this coming week's bear hunt.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They leak because they use about the cheapest material in their boots.Junk cambrelle lining,sponge soles and some halfassed unheard of membrane for waterproofing all for more money then Lowa,meindl or asolo.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I may be antique, but I still really like the American made Danner boots (some of their line is made in China, poor experience w/ them). I particularly like the Hood Winter Light and Canadian. Also fond of the Ft. Lewis.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bauer,

Please tell us of your vast experience with Kenetrek boots in the field.

I know a bunch of people who have actualy used them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bauer
They leak because they use about the cheapest material in their boots.Junk cambrelle lining,sponge soles and some halfassed unheard of membrane for waterproofing all for more money then Lowa,meindl or asolo.

Read the label again. Not sure you are thinking of the right brand of boots.

I have used my hard for 2 years and they are holding up better than any boot I have previously owned. In my opinion Kenetrek use high quality materials and are very well made.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wore meindl's from cabelas for years, but got a pair of 400g kennetreks a few yrs ago. I really like them. I want their desert safari's and a pair of their cowboy pack boots too

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OldForester
Anyone here use them? Our local boot store was having a sale today. Any pair of boots $100. I had never heard of Kenetrek before, and the tag said $359, so I wouldn't normally look at them anyway, but they had my size in a Mountain Extreme NI. They felt nice! So, I walked out of the store with them. They have a pretty stiff sole that might be a bit more than I need for most of my uses, but for a hundred bucks I didn't see how I could lose. Seemed like it would be a pretty good rugged terrain boot.

I also bought 2 pair of Danner Pronghorn GTX boots, one for my grandson and one for me.

If their boots are as good as their gaiters you'll love them.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like mine for the most part and they haven't leaked.

The one knock I have is that (for me at least) the heel is a little too tall. But that's only because I have a problem with rolling my ankles so I like the heels on my boots to be a little shorter. I tend to wear other boots on rocky ground and reserve the Kenetreks for the snow, if the heels can sink in then they work fine for me and they really shine in the snow anyway.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.