Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

ShareThis| Print Story | E-Mail Story | Font Size

enlarge

Olive Garden: American flag display would disrupt dining experience
October 12, 2011 9:23 AM
AP / WPEC-CBS12.com
ANNISTON, Ala. -- Officials with the parent company of Olive Garden restaurants say they're sorry if a decision regarding an Alabama Kiwanis club's desire to display the American flag caused any concern.

The comments come after 80-year-old Marti Warren of Anniston said she wasn't allowed to bring an American flag into an Olive Garden for a planned Kiwanis Club banquet in the east Alabama town of Oxford.

Warren learned the night of the banquet that she wouldn't be allowed to display the flag or the Kiwanis banner in the restaurant, she said.

"I was so angry," she told WBRC-TV. "I felt like I had been slapped in the face."

Orlando-based parent firm Darden restaurants said in a statement that "like all Americans we have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the American flag and everything it symbolizes."

The Oxford Olive Garden lacks a private dining area, which led to the decision, company officials said.

"To be fair to everyone and avoid disrupting the dining experience for all other guests, they're unable to accommodate flags or banners of any type in the dining room," according to the statement.

Without a flag at the Kiwanis banquet, Warren said she asked club members to close their eyes and picture the flag waving in the wind as they said the pledge of allegiance.

Read more: http://www.cbs12.com/articles/garden-4735966-flag-olive.html#ixzz1abyMSQtt

[Linked Image]
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Haven't been there in over 9 years, after the [bleep] tried to feed me raw chicken and then argued with me about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading the statement from Darden (parent company of Olive Garden), it's not clear if it's a company-wide policy to not allow flags, or banners - or if it's unique to the Oxford, Al restaurtant.

Safe to say, I'd bypass the Oxford facility.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's just great when a business tells you in many ways they don't want you business. I always comply.

NRA Lifetime Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have never eaten there before,what have I missed?
Someone told me they serve soup and pasta and when i eat out I get a steak.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ate at an OG once, in Weatherford, TX. Ordered spaghetti, and Italian sausage, which was served after a very nice salad. Their sauce was so-so, and the sausage left much to be desired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ironic that at least this particular Olive Garden won't allow the flag of The United States of America, but is quite eager to accept United States currency.

Fuggem, I don't give a [bleep] for Italian food anyway!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Omit.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am Italian, and Olive Garden food isn't. We ate there twice years ago and decided it wasn't up to snuff. When I order chicken or veal and get a processed cutlet or order fettuchini alfredo and get all my pasta stuck together in a white paste, I tend to give up on a place.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
More likely a corporate decision. We took our au pair there last year for her birthday, and my wife quietly mentioned it was the girl's birthday and if they could do anything. They replied (almost word for word to the statement above) they had recently stopped doing the birthday thing, because it "disrupted" other diners.

As if Olive Garden is a formal dining experience.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
3rd tier Italian fare.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ate at one in Mobile, AL several years ago... didnt like the food and havent been back!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
yea, I'll let darden restaurants know tomorrow all my paper tender has the US flag.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's too bad, i hate to hear that as a Kiwanis member. We've met weekly in three different locations over the years, a steak house, a Chinese restaurant and the country club. They all had no issue with the US flag being displayed, when we did the pledge. We also bow our heads while a member says a prayer in public. No one says anything about that either. These locations are locally owned and not nationally owned, it might make a difference.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Disappointed to read this as Anniston is my home town. I didn't realize the Obamination of America had reached had reached that deeply. Screw Olive Garden/Darden restaurants!!!

I always thought their food sucked anyway!

Last edited by gwindrider1; 10/12/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
never darkened the door of an "Olive Garden"....we have too many real good Eye-Tie restaurants here to bother with the strip mall imitations.

but now I'll start deliberately boycotting them.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made the mistake of going there one time for lunch. It's a good thing I never moved here for fine dining outside the home.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Disappointed to read this as Anniston is my home town. I didn't realize the Obamination of America had reached had reached that deeply.

If I recall correctly, your home town was quick to jump on the "assault weapon" ban concept in the 90's.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is a link to Olive Garden corporate trying to apologize. Maybe they had Mexican waitstaff and got mixed up with what country they were in?
They announced something else a month ago. I posted it here. will have to go find it.

http://www.olivegarden.com/default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/company/contact_us/faq.asp[/url]

Oh yes, last month Olive Garden and their affiliate restaurants (Red Lobster + others) owned by the Darden Family announced they would be working on a more healthy recipe lineup in accordance with what Moochelle thinks is necessary.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/12/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Better than most would give.

They had good lunch specials the couple times I've been there.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 52 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,724
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.