Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rost495 Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Came home last night, about to work on suzuki and as I grabbed a can of lube.. I walked to the suzuki and thought.. hmm something by my wading boots wasn't quite right and the lab is acting a bit iffy... go back... sure nuff, cottonmouth in the corner of the carport under the air tank.... just about 2 inches of tail showing....

Long story short, all dogs away and sharpshooter and done.

But he'd bitten the toad, toad was all swoll up, BIG toad. Had blood on its side where it was bitten. I could hear all the rustling while trying to remove wade boots and manuever without getting struck... he/she was after the toad and probably just had struck.

Here is the question...I kept the toad corralled for 3 plus hours... never died... and finally escaped. I'd have thought 3 hours was enough to die. Just was curious. Could they be immune somehow?

Dunno how the snake was going to eat him as he was as big as a hardball almost... snake was only 3 footer...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Possible explanations:

1.) No envenomation. A dry bite.

2.) Wasn't a cottonmouth. People in and north of Atlanta swear up and down that they see Cottonmouths, but according to biologists, you need to go south of Atlanta to find them. We do have plenty of brown water snakes that eat frogs and toads and all sorts of things. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Water_Snake

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cottonmouths are pit vipers, pit viper venom is geared towards warm blooded prey cottonmouth venom likely is pretty ineffective against cold blooded critters like toads...

venom can be very selective...a good example is the Sydney funnelweb spider, its venom is harmless towards cats an dogs but for some reason its highly reactive against primates and can kill a human.....

hognosed snakes that everyone considers harmless are actually venomous but their venom is so geared towards amphibians at most it creates a mild rash in people....

your average garter snake is also venomous but it to is geared towards cold blooded prey and only causes a mild irritation in people....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rattler

your average garter snake is also venomous but it to is geared towards cold blooded prey and only causes a mild irritation in people....

Sheridan...interesting...Ive been bitten a couple times by garter snakes while fooling around with them, and it did exactly that...

You gotta work hard at it to get bitten by a hog nose...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by rattler

Sheridan...interesting...Ive been bitten a couple times by garter snakes while fooling around with them, and it did exactly that...

You gotta work hard at it to get bitten by a hog nose...

some close relatives of garters over in Asia have no fangs like garters but carry a venom powerful enough to kill a small adult human.....there are about 10 species and only a couple of them have been studied for their venom....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
You learn something new on here everyday

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sooooooo, Sheridan...is the venom in the garters a nasty mouth product like Komodos, or a real venom...maybe rear-fanged????

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
You and me both learn...

I'd have assumed it couldn't be dry because it was seemingly bitten more than once from the looks of things and from all the noise. I"d have assumed not dry since it appeared to be trying to kill the toad.

And yeah, it may not be cottonmouth to some folks, we have water moccasins and then the cottonmouth variety, but there's a passle of folks down here that'll argue ya... the cottonmouths here are very dark in color, and have a very white mouth, stink to high heaven, typically can be very aggressive also. And have that typical triangular poisionus shape of head and not afraid to bite... Iv'e been chased a number of times by them, they'll crawl in the boat with you in the spring, and I've been bitten once by an aggressive one, but luckily in rubber boots that stopped it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Possible explanations:

1.) No envenomation. A dry bite.

2.) Wasn't a cottonmouth. People in and north of Atlanta swear up and down that they see Cottonmouths, but according to biologists, you need to go south of Atlanta to find them. We do have plenty of brown water snakes that eat frogs and toads and all sorts of things. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Water_Snake

Just looked at the link.. definitely not that one.. I figured that was going to be the pic... we do have a number of those around too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
real venom.....the bacteria in komodos is over played, not really much worse than a feral dogs mouth and the same bacteraia are present in both, komodos are venomous as are most species of monitor lizards.....

someone(Dr. Brian Fry IIRC) finally figured out the komodo venom when they realized bitten water buffalo where keeling over faster than bacteria can reproduce to cause it.....sure enough monitor lizards have a venom gland in their lower jaw similar to gila monsters and beaded lizards which are distant cousins....monitors however dont have the grooved teeth to help out...

i believe they have found the venom gland in every monitor species they have went looking for it in...

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
rost...I lived in the deep south for a number of years and was never able to pin anyone down on exactly what the difference between a water moccasin and a cottonmouth was...
can you shed any light there??? Or anybnody else??? I consider myself a snake aficianado, but have never had that one quantified....

And as someone said, theres a buttload of water snakes that mimic Moccasins pretty effectively...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Same snake.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats always been my impression....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After reading this thread y'all have reinforced my dad's words: "the only good snake is a dead snake!"

Sassy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just kill them all. That's how I deal with them. Flame on, I don't care. I hate snakes.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sassy
After reading this thread y'all have reinforced my dad's words: "the only good snake is a dead snake!"

better mousers than any barn cat....
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sassy.....you've been talkin' to Les about spiders again..... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, he likes snakes and hates spiders. I hate them both.

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cottenmouths are found around water for the most part and commonly eat frogs and fish. That being said a frog and a toad aren't the same critter .

Harry
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...but he wants to kill all the spiders too.... wink

" Hate" is such a strong word...

Some of you guys need Creepy Crawly Sensitivity Counseling... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,736
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.