Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
A lot of people leave a motor or Camper on the Kenai Peninsula
store it there in winter and stay all summer.

Would like to find some place in lower 48 to do the same thing Sept thru Dec.

Kinda frustrating trying to compete with non residents fishing for 40 days straight and me on weekends only, but in 3 years I am going to try!!

Let me know when you are ready for that . I know of a place where 40 lb striped bass are common 400 lb mako's can be caught 11 miles off the beach bluefin tuna under 30 mile and yellowfin tuna under 60 miles. BT and doing that.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by stevelyn
We're closed.
......."AkMtnHntr
Someone forgot to hang the sign up..................<grins> "............ i hung it back up! snow bird free zone smile!!!!

Yup!!
Lottsa land locked up by the native corps. and there's no way you're gonna take that thar 4 wheeler anywhere for any huntin' trip. The Interior is loaded with [bleep] and a 4 wheeler won't really work & you for darn sure arn't gonna be hauling a moose quarter over 'em either. BTDT with the 4-wheeler & haulin' moose quarters.

This is the result of the Native Claims Settlement Act in the 80's you are referring to? I'd heard that a lot of places were closed off now as a result. That really is a crying shame. James Earl Carter is still causing problems.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
May as well get used to it.... you bastids will have to put up with me and the wife in about 12 years or so....assuming I"m still kickin....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am thinking you'll fit right in Jeff. Whereabouts you planning on residing?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would have recommended the U.P. of Michigan but the fishing sucks thanks to the natives (so called) gill netting everything, the wolves ate all the deer, birds, everything else, the snow isn't too bad (250" annually), the skeeters are ferocious and we now have mountain lion that kill what the wolves leave behind. The fall color is nice though and the bear hunting is usually good.
If I could talk my wife into it I would beat feet for Alaska as well. Only bad part is chit costs too much up there.

Last edited by brinky72; 10/12/11.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by brinky72

If I could talk my wife into it I would beat feet for Alaska as well. Only bad part is chit costs too much up there.

I figure that what I save in moorage will make up for more than a little of the price difference in item costs.

$300 per year versus $300 per month offsets the dollar or 2 difference in fuel. Having a few other advantages makes the move for me and mine easier. The property I bought is in the early stages of being ready to build on in a few months. Paying in full (no financing) leaves funds a bit tight but when it's done I'll be happy for the struggle.

Good luck in your search.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep every thing is way to expensive up here.Ya'll best stay down there. grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think moving to alaska when you retire is doing things a bit backwards. I'm planning on having this body broken and worn out by the time I hit 65. Sun City AZ for me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Calvin nailed it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
I think moving to alaska when you retire is doing things a bit backwards. I'm planning on having this body broken and worn out by the time I hit 65. Sun City AZ for me.

Exactly...although I think I'm a year or 2 older than you, Calvin, that's my plan as well. Only not Sun city AZ...spent enough time there with my Grandparents to know that with that many old people in one spot anarchy is a kind description....especially as far as driving is concerned.

I wanna' be drinking a Marguerdaguiriscreawalotta'(to quoote a country song) on a 40' Cabo off "Wahoo Alley" outside of Kona harbor.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm...For hunting and fishing Alaska is great, but for retirement it's only great if you have the money, because the cost of living here is quite high. One of the things that makes the cost of living even higher is the great amount of driving one must do just to buy groceries, go to work and back, and so forth.

Last edited by Ray; 10/12/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm breaking a sweat just *thinking* about Arizona.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I graduated HS in Phoenix, and my parents currently live in Sun City. I wouldn't mind the winters, that's for sure..(grin) Probably migrate back north for the summers tho!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Am thinking you'll fit right in Jeff. Whereabouts you planning on residing?

Not 100% but probably not far from Coal Mine would be my guess.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Calvin

Yeah, but some of us can't make it work the right way. Watching my older friends, adopted parents basically, they seem to fend just fine and well in older age... just a bit slower...

But I agree, wish I"d been there 20 years ago already...

Of course if I never see 100 plus temps again after that, it'll be damn fine with me. Imagine folks that live up there feel the same way about anything under -20 and snow... grins..

But since the wife can't stand cold, we are where we are and there will be property here and on the coast in TX for the winters...though I'll prefer to be on teh deer lease all winter if possible....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coal Mine huh? Man that would be convenient.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Yep every thing is way to expensive up here.Ya'll best stay down there. grin
yup ...can't put a price on a good time.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
H
H
coasta rica hunting trim!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ray
Hmmm...For hunting and fishing Alaska is great, but for retirement it's only great if you have the money, because the cost of living here is quite high. One of the things that makes the cost of living even higher is the great amount of driving one must do just to buy groceries, go to work and back, and so forth.

If you are retired you don't commute. You don't have cooling costs in AK (that's free), you can heat with wood if you ain't lazy and were smart enough to build something compact and energy efficient. If you are outside of commuting distance to Losanchorage or Fairbanks, land is dirt cheap in comparison to CO,WY, or MT (I've been looking).

Get yourself an extended cab Tacoma, one of those freighter canoes and build something somewhere you can find your own protein. It gets cold in the winter, that keeps the lazy-ass riff-raff away. Cold weather builds character and self-reliance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ray

Just got back from bear hunting, after our float plane pulled into Dillingham and we got everything unpacked and put away my guide and I had a burger and a beer. The burger was $18.75! I said to him quietly, "the last time I paid that much for a burger someone was taking their clothes off".

Last edited by colorado; 10/13/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 26 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.