Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have several bows, and they all have different levels of noise when shot.

The Switchback is the quietest, then the Legacy, then the Martin Firecat.

The Firecat is an absolutely beautiful and accurate bow which I just adore shooting in every way. However it's got quite a "swack" when released. It has a factory string stop.

There are a ton of rubber bits on the market today to glue on or attach somehow to the riser and limbs for sound control. But I could have 80 bucks into that investment before I find the selection that does it. My buddy has a Z7 and it's quiet, but not really as quiet as the Switchback, although he's shooting like 74lbs and I'm shooting 62lbs. I would say the Martin is a bit louder then the Z7 too.

Before we get too far down the road here, My arrows are spined correct, and the correct weight. I shoot the same arrows and draw weight and length for all my bows and the accuracy and paper tuning is spot on. They are Hunter 400's and with the point weigh 437 grains at 28.5" ( if my memory serves me well)

What have you done to quiet the shot sound of your bow? Any suggestions welcome.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
string stopper...I have nothing on my strings.. shooting a Drenalin

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What kind of rest? Some drop-away rests can be pretty loud as they bottom and smack the riser.

People like to poo-poo string silencers these days but a couple pieces of wool on the string will make it quieter...or catwhiskers if you prefer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've tried stops and various types of string silencers and vibration dampeners. The best I've found is to put two Sims string leeches on the string and install the stick on Limb Savers. Buy them online, they aren't expensive and they work quite well.

Some get worked up over losing speed and yes, you lose speed with any type of silencing equip. With the Sims stuff I've only lost a few fps on my last few bows. I usually take off factory silencing equip and go with Sims on every bow.

The release is another big noise maker, most have a pop when you pull the trigger.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, the release is dead silent, Scott caliper release, and the rest QAD is also dead silent.

They are the same identical units on the Switchback. I think string leaches/cat whiskers are the next logical step.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Catwiskers and heavy arrows here.. I also think it helps that my bow is a heavy mofo..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Components can make a lot of noise, but if it is the bow, some of the add-on stuff will help, but heavier arrows do wonders. Plus the heavier arrows will help on the terminal end. Just info, sounds like you're not really wanting to change the arrows.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My arrows are correct. My other bows are the same draw weight and they are much quieter, the switchback is almost silent.

I've done this for 30 plus years and have lots of archery hunting clients. They come with all sorts of archery gear. Getting lots of experience with so much different gear in actual use while hunting on big game and some REALLY big game!

I don't want the "noise" issue to seem like it's extreme, just wanting to tweak it to be even better. It's tough for any bow to follow the quiet nature of the heavier switchback.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JJHACK, I thought my calipers were silent as well until I took my recurve and purposely used them with it. They had a definite loud pop compared to finger shooting.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Simms S Coil stabilizer helps. I use it with cat whiskers and their limb savers and no bow mounted quiver.

IC B3

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Lots of good advice. Some suppressors will hurt performance depending where they are placed. Best to use the chrony when adding to limbs or string. Adding string leaches can slow it a bit but speed buttons will offset the loss if placed in the right location. I'm shooting a Maxxis 31,HHA sight,QAD rest. Don't really have any noise issues with this particular set up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had good luck with Cat Whiskers on my Maxxis 35, they took a bit of vibration away resulting in a quieter shot. Now with my Matrix Plus I need nothing on the string, quietest bow I have ever shot. A lot can be said of a good stabilizer also, trying different one's at your local shop should tell you a thing or two. The right one can kill a lot of vibration. My target bow, a Pro Elite, was like a tuning fork running a 12" B-Stinger. Vibration was bad resulting in a pretty loud bow. Not that loud matters with a target bow, but I have since gone all-in with a Freestyle setup, 30" carbon fiber doinker. That stabilizer took nearly all vibration out and makes for a much quieter bow. Find the right hunting length stabilizer for your bow might make all the difference for you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Brent why didn't you try a longer B-Stinger? That is a very stiff stabilizer. I shoot a Doinker myself but have been tempted to try the B-Stinger.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heavier arrows will quiet any bow. There is always a happy medium but the heavier the arrow, the more energy transfered to the arrow and less lost to noise and viberation. Bow design is a close second, some just make more noise than others, brace height, what the string touches at brace (cam shape) IBO speeds etc all come into play. Cat whiskers are about as good as anything on the string and string stoppers have always added noise to my setups, so I go without. Accessories can also be a culprit, make sure they are tight and not buzzing.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JJHACK
My arrows are correct. My other bows are the same draw weight and they are much quieter, the switchback is almost silent.

Arrows can be "correct" in many different weights (I'm referring to actual weight, not deflection, or spine as it has come to be known). I like more momentum, and with my traditional bows, I need it.

More mass to "absorb" vibration is key, arrows do it wonderfully. string-stops are top game, and string suppressors like leeches make noticable gains in most senerios.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a new bow this season, PSE Vendetta XL and it is super quiet. I am, however, shoting a 468g arrow including a 125g broadhead. There are a few vibration dampeners on the bow but the string stop, IMO, is the best thisng to make it quieter. With the heavy arrow, I am still shooting 296fps so it's not the speed that is the sound. I will say this, though. When I shoot a 100g tip, I seem to notice more noise. Not sure why but I can't imagine the speed goes up enough to make a difference.

Good luck in your search for a quiter bow. My search ended with a purchase of a new rig.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (AdventureBound, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 673, 17 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,438
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.