Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Folks:

Well, it's official.

McMillan has responded to the calls for a new Winchester offering by introducing the Winchester Hunter pattern.

The New Winchester Hunter is based on the super-popular Sako Hunter family of stocks. As Mr. Dick Davis himself states:

"By far the most popular hunting stock design we have is the Sako Hunter stock design. The palm swell and sculptured pistol grip, the monte carlo butt and proper drop at heel for offhand shooting and handling heavy recoil in a light rifle is really superb. Thus the McMillan Hunter, Browning Hunter, Ruger MkII Hunter, Sako TRG-S, Tikka 65 and soon to be introduced Winchester Hunter (you heard it here first) are based on this great stock design."

Guys, I've been given the all-clear to begin taking orders. I've already placed the first one for myself (McWoody with a red pad smile ).

You will find the New McMillan Winchester Hunter in the Gear Shop. It is available in standard fiberglass as well as in EDGE construction. And you will enjoy our typical great Gear Shop pricing on this great new stock pattern.

Another addition to the Winchester line of McMillans to note:

For those that don't know, there is a new version of the Featherweight pattern listed in the Gear Shop that has checkering. Fiberglass and EDGE are both available.

So, who's getting the first EDGE Winchester Hunter?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great, now I'm going to be more broke(n). laugh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When i lived in the Valley i used to purchase the Sako Hunters for the older Vixens and Forester models. Their bldg was a tiny affair on a cul-de-sac near the Deer Valley airport.
Thru the front door into a 6'x6' recep room,behind her was another small office that led out to production/ stock area.
Great people.......glad they have prospered.
They have much better digs now.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I maybe close to pulling the trigger on this... Buying something this week. If it's a Win. this is the stock for me.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have always offered a Sako hunter for Winchesters,
How is this new Hunter different?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
1) Is there going to be inletting for Southpaws?

2) I have a Sako styled Hunter for a Remington 700. The width of the forearm has to be close to 2". It's very wide. And it swallows a #4 Pac Nor. Am I speaking of the wrong pattern?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
1] Nope. Sorry about that. I'm working on them though. My son is a lefty. smile

2] Nope. You're probably thinking of the Remington Hunter. The Winchester Hunter will most likely max out at a #4, and then only if it wears a reasonable shank. Take a look at the Tikka 65 pattern if you want to know what to expect. (hint, hint)

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Kenneth,

We always had to charge a custom fitting fee to re-shape the rear tang of the stock to fit Winchesters. Now that we are making a pattern of the Sako Hunter specifically for Winchesters, we won't have to charge the fee and it will be a more precise fit.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That stock will be a winner. Next mcmillan I get for a model 70 will be one of those, in an edge no doubt. Now to look for a "donor"!

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, if I had a M70 that needed a stock, I might look into this.

But I sure would love to see an exact duplicate of the current Winchester Sporter stock!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every time I get to thinking I'm smart, along comes another thread on Mcmillan's and I realize I am dense after all. So many choices, colors, fills, patterns, weights yada yada...

Here's my point, I have a Left Hand Sako Hunter on my Winchester M70 that I purchased back in 1998,The fit is perfect and no extra charge that I know of..

Now you say a Hunter stock is "now" available, but not for lefties.
Your very own website says a Sako hunter is available in LH or RH for Winchester's.

The Sako hunter and the Winchester Hunter are the same? No?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ryan,

Will the Winchester Hunter be inletted for the Model 70 WSSM action also? Still need one for my 358 WSSM...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The sako hunter and Winchester hunter will be identical except for the checkering pattern will be slightly different. The Win hunter checkering will look like the Tikka 65 stock that you can view on our website.

The win hunter can be inlet for a WSSM, no problem.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Ryan.

Think I finally found the right stock for my 358...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Rick - placed the order just a few minutes ago for my 358 WSSM...

ALDO LEOPOLD
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Here's my point, I have a Left Hand Sako Hunter on my Winchester M70 that I purchased back in 1998,The fit is perfect and no extra charge that I know of..

I had to send in my barreled action to get fit at the tang area. There wasn't a extra charge,AIR, but there was extra cost considering all of the shipping. This was a WSSM in Sako Varmint.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wait a sec. What is the added cost for Mcwoody?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin
I've already placed the first one for myself (McWoody with a red pad) smile

A McSwirly with browns or has the Fibergrain returned also?

RH

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Woodland camo most likely.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
McWoody is a regular molded-in pattern (McSwirly). No extra cost. 34% medium brown, 33% light brown, and 33% black.

Looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Looks even better with a red Decelerator, if you ask me.

Again, it's a typical McSwirly. It's just that folks finally figured out how to make it look the most like wood.

No extra charge. It's not Fibergrain.

Red pad on it rocks.

rb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.