-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Japanese friends get more excited over a Lord than a halibut...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Arbalester
Originally Posted by croldfort
We bay fished in Mystic, CN and ate flounder on the same day that it were caught. We thought that it tasted great, but in KS we kind of like for fish to taste like fish. We know what chicken tastes like.

Arbalester, I never considered a colder freezing temp for fish to keep it firm. Shore caught Lake Trout in Canada is just as good as Walleye, but Lake Trout will not carry back to my home without turning mushy. Food for thought. Thanks.

I did not even think about trying this deep freeze trick on other "soft" fish. Please let me know how it works.

I don't mind fish flavored fish either. We can get so spoiled here by halibut and salmon that I have seen people waste fish (dolly varden and steel head) that a Texan would be tempted to send to taxidermist because they "taste fishy."

My fishing luck is so bad that I don't throw much of anything away.

[Linked Image]

Eating those never crossed my mind. I once had a client hook one that was huge. Never in my life did I think they could get that big.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like a cabezon... They are sculpins that can exceed 3' and 25 pounds...

First picture I found...
http://www.fishingloft.com/what-is-it.html

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That could have been it. Caught it in a rocky, high current area, mooching for kings. I remember thinking WTF at 5am..(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like cabezon... they often go into tide pools as big fish... Found one in a tide pool in WA (near Friday Harbor, San Juans) that had to go 10#.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's fun catching the weird stuff. I keep the standard, and shake the rest tho. Ratfish sure have been making a comeback in the last few years. They are starting to be all over the place.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cabezon ain't bad to eat. You have to get passed the blue tinge to the meat though. Rather similar to Lings.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've made meals with large starry flounder fliets together with

[Linked Image]
sculpin filets (slivers)

[Linked Image]

and these little greenling wink , filleted.

(And this little fisherman is one relentless drowner of metal baits.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/11/11.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Love the hockey puck burgers in the background..(grin) Can't tell you how many I've grilled up on my mini grill on the beach, creek side, or in hunting camp with the kids. Keeps em going out.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Now this is steelhead fishin!
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That rockfish is actually white-spotted greenling, a Hexigramid... closely related to lingcod and too soft to be a rockfish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
INteresting. Looks like you're on the right track, ('cept some internet 'experts' don't include it as one of the two species of greenling in Alaska.) It's one of my favorite white flesh species we get. Very firm fleshed (easy to filet), and cooks up much like a yellow perch or bluegill; firm, moist, not flaky. I'll have to remember the name; tried to figure them out for a long time. Hard to do when they "don't live here".

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They very much live there and the books that count show them all the way along the coast of AK. A very closely related greenling is the Atka mackeral... it is not really a mackeral, obviously... is suppsed to be down on the Aleutians and they have shown up in Kodiak over the last 15 years or so. I have a spot where we catch them virtually every time we fish it.

The first time I took some into the Kodiak ADF&G office no one could ID them...

The rock and kelp greenling are the common ones all along coastal AK and that makes at least four greenling in AK...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Those things aren't bad tasting. Problem is they're all head. Once you get them filleted they're isn't much there.

Thank you all for making me feel less guilty about keeping Irish Lords and flounder. Irish Lords are fun to catch and so ugly that I have to admire them. It amazes me that something with that big of a head and small of a body can live. You barely get two fish sticks off a big one. It fries up pretty good and somewhere I found a "mock lobster" recipe for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad was never one to tell me I couldn't eat a fish. He just wasn't going to partake all the time. We kept a couple of red irish lords one time and I grilled them up. A touch fishy, but tasted fine to me. About the only fish I've caught, that I've never eaten has been an Arrow Tooth Flounder. Even took the time to clean a skate one time. Too much work for what I ended up with.

Deal with it.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AKBoater
My dad was never one to tell me I couldn't eat a fish. He just wasn't going to partake all the time. We kept a couple of red irish lords one time and I grilled them up. A touch fishy, but tasted fine to me. About the only fish I've caught, that I've never eaten has been an Arrow Tooth Flounder. Even took the time to clean a skate one time. Too much work for what I ended up with.

When I was in Dublin I tried what they called skate (& chips) since it sounded a bit odd. I really liked the texture and flavor which was almost pastry like. I have not caught one here in Juneau to try cooking. Do I understand correctly that fake scallops are also stamped out of their wings?

BTW - does anyone dredge for scallops? (It is legal, right?) I found an old book showing how to make a dredge but I have not run across anyone who does this locally. When I ask I just sometimes here that maybe people dredge out around Sitka(?)

K
K
Best flat fish for eating is rex sole. Flathead and arrowtooth aren't great. Rex are a better eating fish than halibut. A halibut over 20 lbs, except for the tail portion are as uninteresting as chicken breast. Codfish is also better that halibut. Opinion of a commercial fisherman.

S
Skip23 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Before I go up again I'll brush up on fish species identifcation.
I'll keep a couple if they are rex sole, or one of the others. There certianly wasn't a shortage of them and they were big enough to put a bend in my med heavy spinning rod. If nothing else they were more fun than not catching halibut, of course I have fun catching carp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back to Cabezon - I feel they're one of the better eating bottom fish down here. Of course we have to toss the Yelloweye back...

Biggest I've caught probably went 6-7 pounds at 24", though I've seen plenty bigger.

Scott

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've had Cabezon charge me coming off their nest when diving....one actually knocked my regulator out of my mouth on a charge.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,781
Posts18,515,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.