Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 28 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 27 28
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MacLorry

Here's another example. A promising young man graduates from high school and wants to go to college, but his family doesn't have the money to send him so he takes whatever job he can find to earn money. It's 1968 and the kid gets drafted and sent to Vietnam. If you go to DC you can see his name on the wall.

Many of us came home but I would guess most of us if not all of us know someone who's name is on the wall. A little over 1/3 on the guys in my graduating class were dead 24 months after graduation.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's 1968 and the kid gets drafted and sent to Vietnam. If you go to DC you can see his name on the wall.
================

WTF? That example was supposed to corroborate what,again?

I can safely say your example would not have to pay any of the 9s!

Over 63% of this country wants tax reform. Both sides wish for it. It's going to happen. If it cuts into your entitlements,TS. Take on a second job.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
While I agree with you on this Isaac I would like to point out not everyone can do that. I worked two jobs for most of my life. Now working one is no longer a possibility.

Be that as it may reworking the tax system from the beginning and reducing government spend ate two things that must be done.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by NH K9
...many have been blessed, and many have had misfortune...

...and many have made wise choices, and many have made very poor ones....

Yep. I know I've made some poor choices...how about you?

Absolutely. In fact, I've made some very poor ones as well. That said, I have learned from my mistakes and don't make the same ones again. Some folks have to keep touching the burner I guess...

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
There's this "Empowerment Zone" thing,remember and,compensatory remedies will still be available to those injured. May not always work out the way one would like but they will still be available.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
This is all a crebral exercise anyways. Romney and Perry are firmly entrenched on the ground,on a national level,while each raking in approximately 14 million a month. Cain has a million on hand without any huge financial backers announcing any movement in his direction. If he can't compete on a national level and in the TV markets with 100 million plus in the bank by the end of December,he's in deep trouble.

Lastly,he best figure out a way to get out from underneath his dogmatism in regards the sales tax portion of his plan or he's going to quickly fade over the course of the next couple of months. Sales tax ain't gonna fly,period. Sorry,it's just the reality!

William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as I can see there aren't any options for those who are injured now. FOAD is about all I have been told for the last ten years. And I sure as hell am not moving to Detroit so I can get lower taxes!

I am just too damed stubborn to listen. grin

And I will gladly pay my share. I like Cain's plan. I think it will be good for Americans across the board.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
It's 1968 and the kid gets drafted and sent to Vietnam. If you go to DC you can see his name on the wall.
================

WTF? That example was supposed to corroborate what,again?

I can safely say your example would not have to pay any of the 9s!

Over 63% of this country wants tax reform. Both sides wish for it. It's going to happen. If it cuts into your entitlements,TS. Take on a second job.
It of course wasn't supposed to corroborate with anything (if it actually was supposed to, the fail was definitely epic). It's called being out of ammo and desperation. It's what the [Linked Image]

crowd does....

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by isaac
This is all a crebral exercise anyways. Romney and Perry are firmly entrenched on the ground,on a national level,while each raking in approximately 14 million a month. Cain has a million on hand without any huge financial backers announcing any movement in his direction. If he can't compete on a national level and in the TV markets with 100 million plus in the bank by the end of December,he's in deep trouble.

Lastly,he best figure out a way to get out from underneath his dogmatism in regards the sales tax portion of his plan or he's going to quickly fade over the course of the next couple of months. Sales tax ain't gonna fly,period. Sorry,it's just the reality!

I agree with you on the sales tax issue, it's a problem.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scott,
Your attitude, especially taken in context with your apparent personal situation, is refreshing beyond explanation.
At the risk of using a truly and unfortunately overused phrase, you sir ARE a great American!

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
And I will gladly pay my share.

That's due to the fact that you have values and honor. It's not in your ("our" as most here, I believe, fall in that category) nature to be a freeloader.

The issue is that there is the "army of schit" that has no such compunction. They are more than happy to keep drinking case after case of Nattie Light and chain smoking their "assistance" away. Feeding the homeless to the hungry sounds better each day.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 10/14/11.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...fingers in my ears singing "la-la-la-I can't hear you!-la-la-la".

Seriously, there is a glimmer of hope. I'm going to hold onto it yet.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks simple enough.Of course there would have to be legislation introduced in both Houses to make it into law.

What should be the "starting line" for the "over/under" bettors concerning how many pages the actual Bill will consist of?

500? If so, I'll bet the "over".It could take 100 pages to define this:

"Businesses would deduct purchases from other U.S. located businesses ."

'nuther question : Is the majority of the "tweaking" in the 500+ pages gonna be for the benefit of the taxpayer making less than 500K but more than 30K ?

Or will the tweaking be to appease BIG BUSINESS and the folks making less than 30 K ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
Many of us came home but I would guess most of us if not all of us know someone who's name is on the wall. A little over 1/3 on the guys in my graduating class were dead 24 months after graduation.

Unfortunately, there are too many men who share your experience. I don't know if you feel that what you experienced had a negative effect on your success in the economy over the years since you came home, but what's certain is that none of the Wall Street fat cats could make so much money if not for the sacrifice of men like you and those who didn't make it home.

The reason the progressive income tax is justified is that no one makes money in our economy apart from the work and sacrifice of others.

Here�s what another soldier had to say in 1910

No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar's worth of service rendered-not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective-a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the tweaking to date has always been to appease big biz, takes a whole lot of 30K income earners to pony up $3 to make much of a campaign contribution

cracks me up, how much we talk about "throw the bums out, revamp the tax code"

then when given the opportunity, well this thread is a pretty good example of what we actually do

"why he's no political experience, holy moly, they want the folks that haven't been paying to pay too!!"

guess we do get the gov't we deserve, let's just keep doing the same thing and praying for different results.

makes all kinda sense

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 10/14/11.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by MacLorry
That is absolutely the plus and should not be dismissed. But then the "poor" will begin the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The only reason to pay any attention to them is that they VOTE. Get it?
Two candidates to choose from.
Canidate A - "Everybody should pay their fair share."
Candidate B - "I want the top 40% to pay everything for the bottom 60%".

I am to conclude we should nominate Candidate B, correct?

Get it?

Obviously no one is going to convince you the progressive income tax is just, and that's really not the point anyway.

If Cain wins the primary and America is foolish enough to pick Obama... AGAIN... well honestly... too bad for us.

So you would rather nominate Cain and lose to Obama than nominate Romney and send Obama packing. Whatever your reasons, I strongly disagree.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Maybe we should consider taking a look over the cliff, down below, before we jump. We certainly shouldn't great idea on paper our way to 4 more years of Obama. Studiously thinking it through isn't a character flaw,imo.

William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not the way I see it. I just think I am an ornery old fart that is two dumb to give up. But thanks for the complement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again,we agree.

Counting Cain out for lack of money is premature.He gets plenty of face time on TV and can probably afford plane fare out of his own pocket.

Huckabee is proof that staying in until the delegates are awarded has some value.

I think Romney,Cain,Gingrich, and Perry ALL have something to offer and should ALL vow to stay in until the writing is CLEARLY on the wall.

Ron Paul's epitaph will say SOMETHING about the Federal Reserve so he ain't leaving.It's time for the other three to go.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my space time warp scope (crystal ball) I see a bumper sticker that reads "Romney-Cain 2012".

Page 18 of 28 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.