Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
It was bound to happen as No Dak is in an old time "gold rush".
Production surging, jobs everywhere, homes, trailers and apartments in shortage - shows what a productive society is capable of doing. Imagine if this could be repeated in other states?

http://www.adn.com/2011/10/14/2120858/north-dakota-close-to-becoming.html[/url]

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good news.
I can see this (perhaps) happening in SD, Wyo, maybe even Montana?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Depends on the formations.

We have some really big, similar ones up here they are just now starting to explore. Production costs (if the oil is even there)will be a big factor of course.

One of the big push-points for building the Garrison Dam was to provide crop irrigation water (Garrison Diversion Project) - but that never came to anything as the run-off would have gone into the Red River of the North,bordering NoDak/Minn. The Red drains eventually into Hudson Bay through Winnepeg Lake system, if I remember my geography correctly. The Canadians were concerned (probably rightly so) about fertilizer run-off and the mixing of organisms from two very different ecosystems. Even tho the Missori used to drain the same way, before the last Continental glacier changed it's course south into the Mississippi drainage.

Looks like they found another use for the water (cracking those rock formations and steam/pressuring the oil out takes LOTS of water!).

Incidently, I grew up on (and in!) the Missouri River 25 miles south of the Garrison Dam. My dad was the crane operator for 4 of the big towers there. My oldest brother once rolled a Uke (Yuke?)down the dam face during construction...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With every boom, there is a bust.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Agreed.
The nature of energy exploration, I'm afraid.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The boom is 100 miles straight east of here.

I haven't been to Williston in years and have no plans for a drive that way anytime soon. Guess it's really gone to hell in some ways.

Lines at the gas station, 38 minute wait at the checkout at Walmart, no place to eat or sleep, lots of traffic accidents, rapes, pretty much out of control. This is just what people say so take it FWIW.

Lots of people with money but also alot that don't have chit.

It is creeping this way and I really hope it doesn't get crazy here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by SamOlson

I haven't been to Williston in years and have no plans for a drive that way anytime soon. Guess it's really gone to hell in some ways.

Lines at the gas station, 38 minute wait at the checkout at Walmart, no place to eat or sleep, lots of traffic accidents, rapes, pretty much out of control. This is just what people say so take it FWIW.

That doesn't sound so good, Sam.
Funny, how a guy(me, in this case) doesn't take those sort of things into consideration, when it isn't in his own backyard.

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy

Agreed.

And a few other occupations.. One of which I am employed in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agreed.

I hear that.
A big part of my business is producing a product used for drill bit lubrication for oil exploration.

Up and down! Up and down! Up and down!
laugh laugh

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tim, to be clear I'm not ragging on the oil business but there are negatives involved(with the boom) no doubt.
Rent/housing has gone through the roof so people with low to average income are chit out of luck.

However if you have mineral rights on property you might do okay.

I heard the other day that they haven't hit a dry hole yet in a big area of the Bakken. 100% success which I guess is unheard of.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tim, to be clear I'm not ragging on the oil business but there are negatives involved(with the boom) no doubt.
Rent/housing has gone through the roof so people with low to average income are chit out of luck.

However if you have mineral rights on property you might do okay.

I heard the other day that they haven't hit a dry hole yet in a big area of the Bakken. 100% success which I guess is unheard of.

I understand ya, Sam.
It was just interesting to me to hear some of the downsides of this thing, something that a guy can't appreciate unless he is around it-made me think about it a bit, if you know what I mean?

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Agreed.

Yeah Johnny but you work for a good company and are big enough to handle large commercial jobs. There should always be work there unless things just get ugly.

Residential sure took a beating down there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can believe it Sam

in 67-68 this was a sleepy lil town with great folks, no one locked their doors, even a law on the books that you "must stop and pick up a hitch hiker at a certain degree below zero"

big money came during the pipeline, whores, pimps, crime, drugs, housing through the freakin roof etc. all the things you've described.

ahh for the good old days

yep that's right we had a better class of strippers here during the pipeline, it was heaven

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Billionaire client might have something going on in Georgia..
Also a slim chance of going to Hawaii for some project for winter.
Meanwhile we're trying to get a roof on a church before the white stuff comes out of the sky... That's an interesting one.

I say welcome, welcome to the boomtown
Pick a habit
We got plenty to go around
Welcome, welcome to the boomtown
All that money makes such a succulent sound
Welcome to the boomtown

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote=Rancho_Loco]With every boom, there is a bust.

Agreed.

When the boom busts, it moves on to the next boom. With these production numbers coming in, they will begin to play into the world market pricing. Stable countries and sources calm the market and some of the wild speculative dollars.

I'd rather see it coming from the North American continent than Brazil, Chile and Arab countries.

With the strong enviro wacko movement up in Alaska, they are delaying and curtailing a fair amount of resource.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/14/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My family lives just east of the boom near Minot, ND. I hear many of the same stories. I would guess that most people used to a rural life would be pretty uneasy when rumors of "man camp" developments in your backyard start to float around. 4,000 homes lost to flooding in Minot is not helping things either. With that said ND is by no means anywhere near what could be called hard times. Lets just hope everyone can deal with the growing pains in a sensible manner.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have posted this before, but I went through the early 80's oil boom in NE Montana/ NW NoDak. It wasn't nearly as intense as now, but was pretty crazy. A lot of people built apartment buildings thinking they would get rich, then had empty apartment buildings and an expensive mortgage two years later.

At the peak (about a year and a half) you could walk into a certain bar in Sidney, Montana and be hired for a drilling rig job in 15 minutes, even if you had never seen a drilling rig before. I worked just long enough to get enough money to go back to college, because there were too many nitwits and hard-core dopers working the rigs. Can't imagine it's any different now.

The latest economic news is that China's economy is slowing down. Gee! Every boom has a bust, even in China--and that will bust the oil boom in Nodak, though maybe not as much as the last time around.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard several decades of development cited multiple times thru local talk radio.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember when Woof Point still had the refinery east of town, that was a long time ago.
Housing is just now taking off here, very glad we bought a house last year and not now.

One of my farmer buddies said he wants to buy the Cattleman's Cut and turn it into a 'gentlemans' club. Russian ladies?

He just got married a year or two ago and I mentioned it might not be a good idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ya think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.