Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Shoot. I was so hopeful but I think you lost focus again. Stay with it. What happens to the 'second' 7.65% of payroll expense that "the company pays". You said (or implied) they wouldn't give it to the employees right? So what happens to it....

The employer keeps it or do you think Cain can enforce a government mandate that all employers must give all employees a 7.65% raise. If you do, then you should have no problem with the Obamacare individual mandate.
The company 'keeps' it. Got it. laugh
I'm now very curious. What is your career MacLorry?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Keep repeating your imbecilic statements!! Cain is a successful businessman who forgot more economic sense then our little Warlord ever knew!

If you have numbers to backup your imbecilic statements, post them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
djs,
You are making a fatal mistake in your comment. The worker DOES pay all 15.3% of their employment taxes. The company factors that tax in with the salary they pay the employee. At the end of the day, you paycheck shows your 7.65% payment in writing, but the dirty little secret is that YOU PAID IT ALL!
Get educated people!

And these companies are going to give all their employees a 7.65% raise just as soon as 999 is implemented?

Not necessarily. There would have to be a payroll shift if something this different is implemented. Of course if the employee didn't get their 7.65% increase, they could always resign. You know, to show the business how much they dislike them!

You don't get it.Wonder of wonders,your sidekick does.Of course the company will give the employee the 7.65% they have been withholding for the government.But that's ALL he gets to offset the 9% Sales tax,leaving him in the hole ON THAT SCORE.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you don't know the difference between the government's job and a government investment.
You see, that's the problem. I DO know the difference.
It's the 28th Amendment. "The federal gubmint shall promote chillens!"

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Debunking scams and dumping out the kool-aid. That takes time and some folks drink the kool-aid before I can dump it. It looks like you were first in line for Cain's batch.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I promise you he worked for the government, never saved, has zero retirement, and now needs "the rich" to pay for his lack of stewardship in the form of SS.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Debunking scams and dumping out the kool-aid. That takes time and some folks drink the kool-aid before I can dump it. It looks like you were first in line for Cain's batch.
That's what I figured, a government job.
Good night.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You see, that's the problem. I DO know the difference.
It's the 28th Amendment. "The federal gubmint shall promote chillens!"

Promote Children? Not unless you believe people have kids just to get the tax deduction. Is that what you are saying?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sorry, MacLorry ol head, but "smart government" has proven oxymoronic.

Just hope for less of it.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cain's plan makes job loss worse.
Keeping stating those indefensible opinions as declarative facts. Somebody will eventually start to believe them. It works for Obama.

Do try to follow along and I'll explain again how Cain's plan increases the cost of labor.

Right now an employer pays 7.65% in payroll taxes on the wages they pay employees. Under Cain's plan, the 7.65% is eliminated, but so is the tax deduction for wages paid. As it is now, for every $1,000 in wages paid the employer pays $76.50 in payroll taxes. Under Cain's plan the tax on that same $1,000 wage is $90.00 for an increase of $13.5. That increase in labor cost makes American labor less competitive, so an employer looking to create a new job has even more reason to create that job overseas even if the overall income tax rate under Cain's plan is less than what they pay now.

Under current law subchapter S corporation (most small businesses) pay ZERO income tax on net profits, but Cain's plan eliminates this distinction and taxes all corporations at 9%. The owners of a small business pay the 9% corporate tax, plus the 9% individual tax, plus the 9% sales tax, for a total rate of 27%. Many small businesses owners have a lower effective tax rate under the current system because of deductions. If you buy the argument that raising taxes on job creators is bad for the economy, then Cain's 999 plan is bad for the economy.

Are you sure that the corporation would not be able to deduct the $1,000 paid in wages in arriving at a net taxable income? I have not seen details that say that it would be a 9% gross receipts tax. Under present accounting rules, even GROSS income can include a deduction for "cost of goods sold", which includes certain labor expense. NET income includes a deduction for even more compensation expenses. If it's a 9% tax on gross or net income and not gross receipts, your assumptions are incorrect.

Again, I'm not certain of the details, but I highly doubt whether S corporation owners will be double taxed under the 999 plan. If the S corporation income is taxed at 9%, then it could/would likley be distributed to the shareholders/owners as non-taxable dividend income.

It would make no sense to do so otherwise. Even under the current system, S corporation income is passed through as income to the shareholder so that it is not taxed at both the corporate and individual level.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
I promise you he worked for the government, never saved, has zero retirement, and now needs "the rich" to pay for his lack of stewardship in the form of SS.

Who are you addressing? I just happen to know a bit about the current tax system and how to evaluate Cain's plan. If my numbers are wrong, just show that's the case with your own numbers. Can you do that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's what I figured, a government job.
Good night.

As usual you figured wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get your "theoretical" hat off.Stop looking at what's "best for the country".Cain IS 999.He made it that way.Look at the selling points he is using for 999.

Then look at them the way the 50k guy[THAT"S CAIN'S THEORETICAL GUY WHO HE SAYS WON'T BE HURT] is gonna look at it.That's what I did.

And I got news for you and your running mate,businesses expand when the demand for their product justifies it.Taxes enter into the equation ,of course, but more so in good times than in bad.Manufacturing companies, especially, have to be leery of letting the beancounters have too much input into their expansion decisions.That's why they make terrible C.E.O's in manufacturing companies.Seems they do OK with pizza parlors.

Having spent a good while in manufacturing , I already knew this.It was news to some guy interviewing Donald Trump the other day.[no google,sorry]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Who are you addressing? I just happen to know a bit about the current tax system and how to evaluate Cain's plan. If my numbers are wrong, just show that's the case with your own numbers. Can you do that?

I took a quick look at Cain's website, and the 999 plan taxes "gross income" less some other costs. If that term is used by Cain in its technical sense, then the costs of direct labor would be deductible as part of "cost of goods sold". Gross income is not the same as gross receipts. This could blow a hole in your theory that it raises the cost of labor versus the current employers' payroll tax.

Here you can find definitions of "gross income" and "cost of goods sold":

Investopedia

Last edited by CoalCracker; 10/14/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For starters, you are making crap up. Where in the world are you getting this idea that employers will pay a 9% tax on wages paid. Incorrect, as I understand his suggestions. the number is zero.

The elimination of payroll taxes WILL end up in wages as all employers will have this tax eliminated....and we all know about markets and competition, or least some of us do.

Also, what in the earth is your hang up over the wealthy not having to pay cap gains? Several times you have resorted to your semicommi blabber fussing about the rich not paying the same percentage of their income due to living off of cap gains. You plainly cannot understand that cap gains is very much unlike income. Do you understand that if they inherited their wealth that it already had to pass through the most unethical of tax doors, the death tax...if they made it, it has already been taxed heavily via the heavily graduated income tax...if they won it it has already been taxed heavily? Are you just a big proponent of double taxation...or are you just so friggen envious and selfish that you cannot stomach the wealthier growing wealthier?

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Are you sure that the corporation would not be able to deduct the $1,000 paid in wages in arriving at a net taxable income? I have not seen details that say that it would be a 9% gross receipts tax. Under present accounting rules, even GROSS income can include a deduction for "cost of goods sold", which includes certain labor expense. NET income includes a deduction for even more compensation expenses. If it's a 9% tax on gross or net income and not gross receipts, your assumptions are incorrect.

Again, I'm not certain of the details, but I highly doubt whether S corporation owners will be double taxed under the 999 plan. If the S corporation income is taxed at 9%, then it could/would likley be distributed to the shareholders/owners as non-taxable dividend income.

It would make no sense to do so otherwise. Even under the current system, S corporation income is passed through as income to the shareholder so that it is not taxed at both the corporate and individual level.

I'm impressed, finally someone who actually knows something about business accounting and taxes.

Obvioulsy, Cain's plan can't tax gross receipts, but I saw the statement that wages an employer pays are not deductable under Cain's plan. I believe it was in one of the articles the OP linked to.

Under present rules nearly every legitimate business expenditure is deductable or can be amortized. Things get gray when calculating the cost of goods sold based on FIFO or LIFO. Things really get into black magic when it comes to calculating the loss of good will or the cost of closing a plant, etcetera, etcetera. The point being that, no matter how simple the tax system is, business accounting is anything but simple and a good number of people at the IRS work in that area.

As for S corporation being eliminated, I heard that from Cain's mouth during an interview on Fox News. Just as with ordinary corporations now, under Cain's plan, S corporations pay 9% on net profits, passes what's left through to shareholders (owners) who then pay 9% individual taxes on those profits, and then pay another 9% when they spend their money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cain's website says the plan "eliminates double taxation of dividends". This leads me to believe that dividends would not be taxable to the individual, under the assumption that the tax was paid at the corporate level. If so, I do not believe shareholders would be taxed on both the corporate income and again when the income is paid out as dividends.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MSHuntfish
For starters, you are making crap up. Where in the world are you getting this idea that employers will pay a 9% tax on wages paid. Incorrect, as I understand his suggestions. the number is zero.

I'm not making anything up, I saw the statement that wages an employer pays are not deductable under Cain's plan. I believe it was in one of the articles the OP linked to. Also, wages are not one of the items listed as business deductions on Cain's own website.

The elimination of payroll taxes WILL end up in wages as all employers will have this tax eliminated....and we all know about markets and competition, or least some of us do.

Now you are making crap up. There's no competition for workers or haven't you heard about the high unemployment.

Also, what in the earth is your hang up over the wealthy not having to pay cap gains?

Why the class warfare on working people?

Several times you have resorted to your semicommi blabber fussing about the rich not paying the same percentage of their income due to living off of cap gains.

Now you are making crap up again.

You plainly cannot understand that cap gains is very much unlike income.

Not as different as you think. If a farmer spends $10,000 to plant, grow, and harvest a crop why is his gain taxes as ordinary income, but if he puts $10,000 in stocks and sells them a year later the profit is treated as a capital gain? The $10,000 he spends either way was money he already paid taxes on, and either way he could lose his money, and either way wealth can be created or lost. So explain why you think one type of income should be taxed differently than another type of income.

Do you understand that if they inherited their wealth that it already had to pass through the most unethical of tax doors, the death tax...if they made it, it has already been taxed heavily via the heavily graduated income tax...if they won it it has already been taxed heavily? Are you just a big proponent of double taxation...or are you just so friggen envious and selfish that you cannot stomach the wealthier growing wealthier?

So why do you support Cain's 9% tax on existing savings that has already been taxed? Are you just a big proponent of double taxation...or are you just so friggen envious and selfish of people who have savings that you cannot stomach it?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After having been a W2 wage earner, part of a partnership, owner in both C Corp and S Corp companies, and a sole proprietor, almost anything would be an improvement on our current tax codes!! Wait and hear the man out! There is some merit there! Not to mention the fact that the IRS needs to be cut back greatly!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Cain's website says the plan "eliminates double taxation of dividends". This leads me to believe that dividends would not be taxable to the individual, under the assumption that the tax was paid at the corporate level. If so, I do not believe shareholders would be taxed on both the corporate income and again when the income is paid out as dividends.

So a corporation that paid all its profits back the shareholders wouldn't pay any taxes at all. If such a corporation had capital gains, would the shareholders pay the 9% individual tax on that money or would it be treated differently being Cain says there would be no taxes on capital gains. Cain is going to have to publish more detail before his plan can be fully scored in detail.

Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 1_deuce, 50 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,542
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.