Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kaspersky.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Symantec(Norton) are the greatest abusers of your computers resources. YMMV

Used to be.............not true anymore; I have been incredibly surprised with the new Norton stuff & it's more effective than almost anything out there.

Take a trial and report your findings...............

Les, what's your take/opinion on Ubuntu?

MM

I love Ubuntu, it is all I run on my Linux Machines. I have recommended it to a number of campfire members, one has rown to love it, isn't that right Scott?

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've tried several and settled on kaspersky. no problems since.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Kaspersky

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott F
Switch your operating system to Ubuntu and you will never need anti virus or spyware software. I did almost two years ago and have been smiling every day since.

I knew the Linux pimps would be all over this one but, WOW, the second post? You're definitely an overachiever.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I'M SNORT'N NORTON !!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Symantec(Norton) are the greatest abusers of your computers resources. YMMV

Used to be.............not true anymore; I have been incredibly surprised with the new Norton stuff & it's more effective than almost anything out there.

Take a trial and report your findings...............

Les, what's your take/opinion on Ubuntu?

MM

I love Ubuntu, it is all I run on my Linux Machines. I have recommended it to a number of campfire members, one has rown to love it, isn't that right Scott?

What gave you that idea? grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by XL5
Switch your operating system to Ubuntu and you will never need anti virus or spyware software. I did almost two years ago and have been smiling every day since.

I knew the Linux pimps would be all over this one but, WOW, the second post? You're definitely an overachiever.

Second post because I did not think anyone read the first. grin

Seriously, I am am a long, long way from a computer expert. But even with my amateur status it has worked like a charm for me. Just shy of two years and on line every day without a hitch. No viruses, no nothing but fast response to every thing I ask of it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by XL5

Second post because I did not think anyone read the first. grin

Seriously, I am am a long, long way from a computer expert. But even with my amateur status it has worked like a charm for me. Just shy of two years and on line every day without a hitch. No viruses, no nothing but fast response to every thing I ask of it.

Well, I use Linux, Macs & PCs at work in a corporate environment, but Linux (Ubuntu flavour) is what I recommend for most home users, so I guess you could call me a Linux pimp. smile

[Linked Image]

I think it is at least 8 times that I have had friends or family about to drop the money for one of those overpriced Macs when they got frustrated with Windows. However, I got them to test Ubuntu on their old PC hardware first -- and all but one (who bought a PC to play silly games!) stayed with Ubuntu (some eventually bought new hardware to run it, but most found they did not need to).

Anyway, anybody thinking of a Mac would do well to at least try Ubuntu first if they have an old Windows PC that can boot at all. You can run Ubuntu from a CD or USB memory stick without disturbing your present operating system on your hard disk, so you risk nothing and it is quite easy.

Download Ubuntu HERE. and follow the step-by-step instructions.

Ubuntu setup is usually very easy. Some laptops may need a few special drivers to operate some hardware (e.g. Bluetooth) but almost all will be perfect net surfing machines with even the default Ubuntu installation, so give it a try.

Ubuntu even on very old PC hardware is smooth and fast too, so almost everybody who tries it turns into an enthusiast like Scott F. Ubuntu is no more difficult to use either: when I have put a user in front of a Mac or a Ubuntu machine for the first time, it does not seem that either one is harder to get going with.

Burn a CD or put Ubuntu on a USB memory stick and try it for an evening and you may be hooked too.

I own quite a few shares in Apple so I do like to see them sell computers, but I hate to see friends paying the "Apple tax" for their overpriced hardware (or for overpriced service later) when cheaper PC hardware and Ubuntu is really a better choice for most home users.

John

Last edited by jpb; 10/15/11. Reason: finngers fast, brain slow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem so far with Microsoft Security Essentials or Malwarebytes. Had AVG. It failed to stop the whatevers that trashed my computer a year or two ago.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ubuntu is great. Went with it over a year ago and have never looked back. Have several different machines and from my limited experience Ubuntu is the only way to go. Still have have two computers running XP and Security Essentials is the only way to go if you are a Microsoft freak. Why pay for something if you can get it for free??

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,645
Posts18,512,528
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.