-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi guys, sad day last week, had to put down my trusty side kick of 13 years. I have a 9 year old son that is allergic to dogs so Bosco had been kept in kennel outside.

The question I have is this: Has anyone here ever hunted waterfowl with a standard poodle? I have done some research and there are some standard poodles out there bread for hunting with trials and championships in the blood lines. I'd like to have a dog that is somewhat hypo allergenic and I read that the poodle does not shed and is more allergy friendly than say a Lab. Bosco was a lab/wiem mix and would shed when it was 0 degrees outside, LOL!

Thanks for all the info you have and are willing to share.

God Bless!!

Les

may all your projectiles fly true!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vet had two which he was very pleased with. He hunted quail in Az with them. I have heard that they are great hunters and very smart. If you look back into the various breeds that were used to create the GWP you will find the standard poodle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend who is a little south of you has one that is filling some pretty big shoes as His two previous were a couple of very good Labs. He seems pretty happy with RUSTY.

If you do some searching you will find some that are being developed/bred for hunting which is of course their roots. I am pretty sure the breed's French name translates to English as "Duck Dog". You might start at the United kennel Club or The Hunting Retriever Club web sites.

If you want send me a PM and I'll pass your info along to my buddy. He is in Texas actually, sort of North/Northeast of DFW

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My sisters husband is majorly allergic to dogs and he has never had a problem with my Chessie. I have heard others say about the same thing. Might want to give it a try with your boy if you know someone with a Chessie or have a breeder near you. I knew a guy up in Maine that had a Standard Poodle that he used on bears. Don't have any knowledge about them on ducks.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
My sisters husband is majorly allergic to dogs and he has never had a problem with my Chessie. I have heard others say about the same thing. Might want to give it a try with your boy if you know someone with a Chessie or have a breeder near you. I knew a guy up in Maine that had a Standard Poodle that he used on bears. Don't have any knowledge about them on ducks.

i have been extremely allergic to cats most of my life but every once in awhile i get around one that doesnt bug me....one of my uncles had a long haired breed that i was around alot while i was going to college and raiding his fridge on a semi regular basis grin the cat could sleep on me and wouldnt affect me.....

just like ppl i would guess body chemistry varies between individual cats and dogs...some bloodlines might have individuals that dont produce the stuff people are allergic to....over the years ive heard from various people getting cats and dogs from various breeders cause even though the breed overall might not be hypo-allergenic for some reason their bloodlines are....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back in the early sixties, my neighbor had a standard size, named Rover, of all things. We hunted pheasants over him and it was like hunting over a lab. He was great, didn't listen worth anything, but he was birdy. If I were you, I'd look into a Pudlepointer. They have the coat of a poodle, but have a lot of hunting bred back in. Might be hard to find a poodle with hunting stock in its family. Might give you what your looking for.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have an Airedale that I hunt with...feather/fur. She is not a lab or pointer, but she is real good and fearless when hunting pigs and she will bloodtrak also. Look them over. Well known for being hypo-allergenic. Lots of grit and great family members.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
there are a lot of hunting/versatile breeds that don't shed.........or mildly shed. I've never hunted over a Std Poodle, but there are Pudlepointers, Wirehaired Griffons, Drahthaars.

I needed a hunting/versatile dog that didn't shed. I looked at Drahthaars and ended up with a Griff. I have been more than happy with the breed.

[Linked Image]

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 10ring1, 12savage, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,643
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.