-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was putting together a new load for my .300 win mag last night. I have always had a real hard time pressing the cases back into shape. I almost broke my reloading bench doing it! I really have to lube the crap out of the case in order for it to be easier. Has anyone else had this problem with Winchester brass?

"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."
Ted Nugent, rock star.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Never....how many times has your brass been fired?
What kind of lube?

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Something is not right on your setup, one of your components, or your technique. Yep, I should have been a genius smile

No brass should be giving you this trouble.

Do you load other calibers w/out this issue?

In my experience lube issues are generally ... too little and the case goes into the die well but doesn't always come out. Too much and you get some dimples on he case shoulders.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Have you tried annealing the brass?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
sounds to me that you are loading your cases HOT and that the chamber in your rifle is a little on the generous side...

at least that is what the problems are related to when that happens to me.... in any caliber

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by msummer88
I was putting together a new load for my .300 win mag last night. I have always had a real hard time pressing the cases back into shape. I almost broke my reloading bench doing it! I really have to lube the crap out of the case in order for it to be easier. Has anyone else had this problem with Winchester brass?

What do you mean pressing them back into shape?? You should only be "minimally" resizing your cases to fit your chamber. Sounds like you should think about re-setting up your sizer die for a minimal shoulder set back (.003" or so). What type of lube are you using??? It may also be hanging up on your expander. What type and brand of dies are you using???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a similar problem on the retraction stroke resizing 243 brass. I will not buy another hornady resizing rifle die. Their expander sucks. I may buy a different expander or new resizing die. Love their seater die though. I use the wax lube.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, My pop has been dealing with this with brand new bagged 284 Win. brass from Winchester. Once fired factory loaded cases from older store bought ammo size up just fine, not the new brass. The new brass is too hard and too thick, especially in the neck. He's not going to anneal and neck turn new brass. It's on its way back to Winchester.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Methinks it's a case of operator error.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Make sure the dies are clean and not scarred. Disassemble, degrease, lube with a bit of whatever case lube you're using. Go back to the sizing die instructions and follow them to the letter for full length sizing, then set your die a half turn or so higher and size one. If the problem is on the upstroke when you resize the neck make sure you're lubing the inside. You can also chuck up a caliber size bronze bore brush in an electric drill and clean the inside of the necks before lubing and sizing. You may be surprised at the amount of crap you knock out. If that doesn't do it I'd be suspicious of the die specs.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only use Win. brass & never have a problem like this. I agree with the above comments on your sizing die not being set up correctly. Barring that, hot loads & a "generous" chamber. Go back thru the insrtuctions on setting up the sizer first.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Are they small base dies ? They can make resizing hard even with plenty of case lube.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,991
Posts18,481,094
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.