-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah I hear that, I'm pretty much looking forward to taking Longball (G-son) on his first elk hunt. Pretty much as in he's gonna love it, he'll enjoy seeing the country and the elk, and maybe he'll get a chance at an elk. The pretty much as you well know comes in with the idea of packing the bugger out... wink

Lets hit Willow Creek b4 the new year ok?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mark, after hunting season, we need to get that done. CP.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I found a bull like that I would be inclined to go after him with a bow and I pretty much loath bow hunting.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/14/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Eremicus,

Tell me where he is & I'll tell you all about the big bruiser.

Just kidding.

Scouting is essential for success most of the time. But where he is today might not where he'll be when opening day rolls around. So unless you can get him to carry an iPhone with a GPS, I'd suggest plotting points on a map where you've seen him to try to establish his pattern of movements. If you can predict where he'll be at opening day first light, you should have him hanging in camp.

Best of luck to you,

R

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Went out there again this AM. Got there just as the sun was coming up. This time, I used the opposit ridge which would keep me well away from where they were, and it's quite a bit higher.
He and his 53 companions didn't show themselves. Well, that's not unexpected.
What I did see were 15 elk, three raghorns, one spike and one big tried old bull with a fully develped antlers that sported a very long drop tine on his left side. Couldn't see the other side that well, but the one I saw was really long, say 18 inches.
Let's see, in two visits, I've seem 74 elk there. At least 10 are legal. Four of them are 4 yr. old class bulls. One is really outstanding.
Oh, my god. Scrape me off of the ceiling. Never had a trip start out anything like this. E

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E, obviously keep an eye-out everyday. If you need to hike in and bivouac in the dark to pop one opening am, do it... big thing is not to get too comfortable in the idea of tracking them into the timber... while I have killed more than a couple tracking them, more often than not it turns into blowing them out of the country.

Better to be patient and let them feed out...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
That's my current plan, weather and my old, worn down body permitting.
I do agree that trying to track them is often very frustrating.
Much better to be patient and allow him to show himself.
I really appreciate your imput, Brad. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You bet E. Hope you kill a good one.

I'm starting to look forward to Elk season finally!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good luck. Your time and homework should pay-off

Some great advice from 340 if you do not see them opening morning. Good to have a back-up plan and waiting them out if the enter timber is good advice too.

Looking forward to pics and story

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
OK, went in again this AM. I going to need to get out of bed alot earlier than what I've been doing. 4:00 AM Montana time isn't early enough.
I reaquired the herd with the two big bulls in it. Turns out I didn't see them Saturday because I was too far down the ridge and watching the wrong side. Probably a good thing. They are right on top in a wide open area with no cover at all. The only way I can close on them is to approach in the dark, setup and wait for legal shooting time. I did this once by accident and it would have worked. That time, I was only 125-150 yds. away from them. I saw them first, and got down on the ground. They never knew I was there. The odvious fault to this plan is that somebody else might get there before I can shoot and spook them. Or even I could, if I'm not careful. But I see no other option if that is where they are on the opener.
Got a much better look at both big ones from about a mile with my sharp little 50mm Nikon ED. That thing is worth every penny I paid for it.
The smaller one is a typical 6 pt. with average mass and points. Looks well fed, and would be a great throphy in anybody'd book. The big one, looks to have antlers that are twice the diameter of the other 4 yr. old. His points, particularly his 5th's are much longer. His 3rd's are longer too, but not as good as I originally thought.
I saw nine legal bulls this morning. I can't believe it. The two big ones, at least two small 5 pointers, and the rest your average 4 pt raghorns. I can't believe I'm seeing all of this. Never have done anything like this. Coming here two weeks early was the best move I've ever made. E

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take that "smaller" one off your hands if you want grin

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I'll bet you would. The oportunity to kill either of these is still very much up in the air. But at least I have some idea where to look. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Again E, best of luck to you for Sat morn. Hope you get him sorted out. Sure you've seen this pic b4 but it was my bull from last year taken about 11 minutes into the season. 30 seconds longer and he'd of been gone for good!

Have fun and shoot straight. Also, I'm pm'ing you my cell so if you need anything all give me a shout and I'll bounce down and give you a hand.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am REALLY enjoying this thread. Good luck E and report back quick.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bxroads
I am REALLY enjoying this thread. Good luck E and report back quick.

I agree. I'm getting rather excited about the potential for great results on Saturday. Definitely, I'm looking forward to it.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Ya know Dober, he looks alot like that one.
Ah, me.
And thanks again for your kind offer. E

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[Linked Image]

Again E, best of luck to you for Sat morn. Hope you get him sorted out. Sure you've seen this pic b4 but it was my bull from last year taken about 11 minutes into the season. 30 seconds longer and he'd of been gone for good!

Have fun and shoot straight. Also, I'm pm'ing you my cell so if you need anything all give me a shout and I'll bounce down and give you a hand.

Dober

Really nice bull, Dober. What did he score?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No idea DF, never put a tape to him. No matter what he scored it was a trophy hunt for me.

Thx
Dober

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hope it works out for you, have enjoyed keeping up with this.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
No idea DF, never put a tape to him. No matter what he scored it was a trophy hunt for me.

Thx
Dober

I killed a 380 in Canada a couple of years back and IMHO, they look pretty close.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.