Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Is anyone running this pack? I am in the market for a new pack and I like the look and features of this pack (plus it will be nice to get away from the teal Lowe I have been using). Any input would be great, especially the pros and cons that you see in it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised you haven't gotten a response to this, i've been contemplating a new pack, again, that will serve double duty as a daypack and meathauler and the J107 seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 9.5 pounds according to Cabelas that is a pretty hefty daypack. Though I am sure you could drop some weight be losing the scabbard and what not. Looks versatile for sure. However like most things most things either do one thing well or everything just ok. Just my opinion after looking at the specs and trying it on in the store so its not much of an opinion I know smile

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've run a j104, j107, and now a Kifaru Longhunter Guide G2....

The J107 was a pretty decent pack. It actually carried weight pretty well (especially compared to the 104....much stiffer frame). EB makes some tough backs and they are very versetile (i.e. great combo for a day pack and hauler in the back country. I could get about 4-5 days worth of stuff in.

I also recommend running a search on it.

The one thing I didn't like about these packs was that the scabbard is between the main pack storage area and your body. OK with your rifle packed, but most of the time this is not the case, thus moving the weight on your back further away from your body putting more strain on your back. Also, if you are hiking with rifle in your scabbard, tough to sit down. Also, rifle should only go in the scabbard for the long haul, don't expect to reach over your back and pull it out in a quick situation. I believe EB makes similar packs without the scabbard in that location (with an external type of scabbard you can attach). I honestly liked the J107.....much better than my 104. Just was a bit bothered by the scabbard/water bladder storage locations.

I just got it over with and forked over the dough for a kifaru long hunter g2. I also looked at the Myster Ranch packs, but never got to try them. I love my Kifaru. Simple, light, strong, versatile, and carries weight well. My kifaru also backs "up" as it gets filled versus "out" meaning the weight stays closer to my body with a better center of mass to hike with. I also like the gun bearer which took a bit of getting used to, but love it now.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by AHM
I've run a j104, j107, and now a Kifaru Longhunter Guide G2....

The J107 was a pretty decent pack. It actually carried weight pretty well (especially compared to the 104....much stiffer frame). EB makes some tough backs and they are very versetile (i.e. great combo for a day pack and hauler in the back country. I could get about 4-5 days worth of stuff in.

I also recommend running a search on it.

The one thing I didn't like about these packs was that the scabbard is between the main pack storage area and your body. OK with your rifle packed, but most of the time this is not the case, thus moving the weight on your back further away from your body putting more strain on your back. Also, if you are hiking with rifle in your scabbard, tough to sit down. Also, rifle should only go in the scabbard for the long haul, don't expect to reach over your back and pull it out in a quick situation. I believe EB makes similar packs without the scabbard in that location (with an external type of scabbard you can attach). I honestly liked the J107.....much better than my 104. Just was a bit bothered by the scabbard/water bladder storage locations.

I just got it over with and forked over the dough for a kifaru long hunter g2. I also looked at the Myster Ranch packs, but never got to try them. I love my Kifaru. Simple, light, strong, versatile, and carries weight well. My kifaru also backs "up" as it gets filled versus "out" meaning the weight stays closer to my body with a better center of mass to hike with. I also like the gun bearer which took a bit of getting used to, but love it now.

Thank you for the input, it is exactly what I was looking for.

IC B2

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
no problem.....hopefully not too discouraging about the weight distribution.

A couple other bits.

The issue is definitely there, but can be overcome somewhat if you have your heart set on this pack. my buddy has my old j107 now. He doesn't use his scabbard all that much and either packs the space with something (dense) or uses the straps to "suck" in the pack as much as possible.

The problem would be more apparent when you are loaded, and then pull your gun out of the scabbard leaving the space there. The scabbard is on one side and the water bladder storage is on the other (closest to the back). Getting the water bladder in and out to fill is kind of a pain, especially if loaded up. Also, if the water bladder is full, hard to suck the pack in against your back, but water is dense weight so not too much of an issue until your bladder is empty.

Anyhow, if you like the EB packs, maybe also consider the new V90 or the blue widow, depending on how big you're looking at. No experience with either, but ones I'd probably look at. You can pretty much get an external type of scabbard for any pack. you can also add the kifaru gun bearer to any pack if you're looking to free up hands. The kifaru gun bearer is a little wierd at first, but keeps hands free and maintains quick access to shoot when needed (worked for me last week....shot a 9x4 mule where I had limited time to get setup).

If money is not an issue, take a look at the Kifaru and MR packs.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm going to have to see if anyone I know has a Kifaru that I can look at...I am sure they are quality packs though, I did have Mountainsmith frostfire at one time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 6,473 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,536,986
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.