Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

<snip>
Personally, for the money you're planning on spending, I'd just buy a NULA in 7-08, .280 AI or .308 and hunt with that.

Or .270 or .30-06 or whatever.

I copied Mule Deer's NULA .30-'06 (M24 with stainless 24" No. 2 barrel but ignored his paint scheme), and I can recommend it without hesitation. After passing 65 I accelerated passing guns to the rels or selling them off, and this NULA can do most things. Oh, I still have a .375...jim

[Linked Image]

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by johnw
i'd order a barrel and send my current rifle to Redneck, who posts here and does very good work on custom type builds...

get that one running right and you might forget about wanting something else... or not...

coopers are cool... consider nula....
Originally Posted by BobinNH
JMHO but if I wanted a 280AI, I'd get a Kimber 84L, or wait for a Montana....anymore dough than that and I'm looking for a donor action,a Krieger,Brux, etc.,and a McMillan...give it to Redneck to assemble,and Voila!

Done.

Take a look at the rifle he built on the Rem700 for Killertraylor.....very nice.

How do I get in touch with "Redneck"? Sounds like he must live in my general area.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He posts on the campfire frequently. You can do a search on his username, "Redneck," or pretty easily find one of his posts in the gunsmithing forum. Then send him a PM.

He lives in Wisconsin. And when I met him, he did not remind me at all of the rednecks I know. grin

Al

Spend your life wisely.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, this thread ended up costing me a bit. I called Melvin Forbes earlier this week and ordered a NULA in 7-08. And then I arranged to have a Leupold 6x36 with a heavy duplex reticle from the Custom Shop drop-shipped to him. When the rifle is completed, he is going to mount the scope and sight it in for me.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
He posts on the campfire frequently. You can do a search on his username, "Redneck," or pretty easily find one of his posts in the gunsmithing forum. Then send him a PM.

He lives in Wisconsin. And when I met him, he did not remind me at all of the rednecks I know. grin

what Al said... he's got a post right here... Redneck

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Well, this thread ended up costing me a bit. I called Melvin Forbes earlier this week and ordered a NULA in 7-08. And then I arranged to have a Leupold 6x36 with a heavy duplex reticle from the Custom Shop drop-shipped to him. When the rifle is completed, he is going to mount the scope and sight it in for me.

That should be one awesome rifle!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would try alot of options with my current 280 AI, loads and scopes before I considered a Jarrett.There are folks here that could get that 280 AI shooting.

I have 1 280 AI nad will look for a donor for a 308 of 7-08 this wknd at the show.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think Sako's 85 is as good as some, and better than many, custom rifles.

It's a great value IMHO.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I think Sako's 85 is as good as some, and better than many, custom rifles.

To a Canadian that never really owned a truly good custom rifle, I guess that would be so.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
i have had a number of full blown customs that i loved the wood and metal but have found with most good ole remingtons or new winchesters and a little extra like bedding and trigger work...99% of hunters would be perfectly satisfied for life.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by no experience
i have had a number of full blown customs that i loved the wood and metal but have found with most good ole remingtons or new winchesters and a little extra like bedding and trigger work...99% of hunters would be perfectly satisfied for life.

I certainly agree in terms of basic function and accuracy...

But you would not claim they are "better" than most well done customs..?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just one rifle will never do it all... Give up that idea now. Unless you only need "a particular rifle" for your hobby.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that 5 pound NULA 30-06 would be more than enough for just about anything I do.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bonefish
I had my gun done by a fairly respected gunsmith. He butchered the chamber of a Lilja barrel and misaligned the crown. The action screws were loose and too long and the "trigger job" factory trigger goes off if you breathe on it when you bring the safety off.

You probably don't need a new gun at all. Get in touch with Redneck and send the gun to him, telling him what trigger pull you are comfortable with. I would assume that you have enough barrel length to rescue that Lilja. He can set the barrel back and rechamber it, as well as snip the end off and recrown to perfection. Make sure you have a good stock to go on it, which he can bed to perfection as well. You'll be more than pleased when you get to work with a good smith instead of a butcher.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (AB2506, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,221
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.