Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
On the topic of Jum Cirillo, one must remember that in the vast majority of his shootings, he knew he was going to a gunfight. He often carried and used a long gun, usually a 20ga SxS Stevens or M1 Carbine. He viewed the pistol as a backup, and carried several, coining the term "New York Reload,"

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bea175
you need to learn to keep you finger of the trigger until the weapon is clear of the holster and then you want be afraid of shooting yourself.

No, you need to learn to keep your finger off of the trigger (and not disengage the external safety) until the muzzle is clear of YOU! I'd like to read of any proponent of the modern pistol technique who reccomends otherwise. As Lewis Awerbuck opined, "If, at anytime during a gunfight, you shoot yourself, you have lost."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone knowingly going to a gun fight would be a fool to take a pistol when a rifle was available. That was the purpose of the 30 MI Carbine to replace the pistol and make it easier to make hit in a real gunfight. As a close to medium range weapon the 30 carbine is way under rated these days.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
However, the carbine is difficult to holster concealed. And drawing it efficiently is a pain as well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Doc:

"Anecdotal" thus becomes a pejorative term, and wrongly so.

The example I gave above in this thread was clearly out of the norm. It's anecdotal, but so is every other scenario on this thread.

Your point about statistically likely scenarios is well made. Few of us will ever sit a stakeout in an inner city liquor store, and no one is ever going to be allowed to duplicate Jim Cirillo's shootings on prisoners in order to achieve peer review.

The best that any of us can do is consider a wide range of anecdotally based scenarios - there is no other kind - and draw our own conclusions about what we should do.

Yessir. I concur wholeheartedly with that approach.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by liliysdad
On the topic of Jum Cirillo, one must remember that in the vast majority of his shootings, he knew he was going to a gunfight. He often carried and used a long gun, usually a 20ga SxS Stevens or M1 Carbine. He viewed the pistol as a backup, and carried several, coining the term "New York Reload,"

That's a very important point.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
you need to learn to keep you finger of the trigger until the weapon is clear of the holster and then you want be afraid of shooting yourself.

No, you need to learn to keep your finger off of the trigger (and not disengage the external safety) until the muzzle is clear of YOU! I'd like to read of any proponent of the modern pistol technique who reccomends otherwise. As Lewis Awerbuck opined, "If, at anytime during a gunfight, you shoot yourself, you have lost."

How do you do that with a "Glock"? It has no safety

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

How do you do that with a "Glock"? It has no safety

A Glock has three safeties.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The thumb safety is located, where?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Damn dude, is English a second language for you?

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Damn dude, is English a second language for you?

Again there is no safety to disengage as the gun is drawn as is on the 1911

What is your language???

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been accused of speaking grit, but I write and read Standard Written English, apparently quite a bit better than you. Your post said the Glock had no safety, you didn't say a damned thing about an external safety. I correctly replied that a Glock has three safeties. Apparently you need work on more than your draw stroke.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 10/20/11. Reason: spellin'
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I believe there are seven criteria to help you through the decision process of choosing a CCW:
(1) The gun has to be with you when you need it. When do you need it? When you don't expect to need it (if you expected trouble, you would be armed with a rifle). A gun that is too much trouble to carry won't be with you when you need it.
(2) The gun has to be quick into action. (this drives the loaded condition of the gun and how you carry it)
(3) The gun has to be powerful enough to get the job done (your presentation of the gun may not deter the adversary. you may really have to shoot, and you want it to be powerful enough to cease hostilities with one well placed shot)
(4) Reliable in your hands (must always go bang)
(5) Accurate in your hands (hit what you aim at)
(6) Controllable in your hands (fast and accurate follow-up shots)
(7) the gun does you no harm (eg no magnaporting -- which depending on the presentation of the firearm could put hot gasses into your eyes)

With all that said, my choices are three: A Colt Ltwt Commander, a Walther PPS, or a Smith J-frame revolver.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No I don't need to work on my"draw and stroke". You were lecturing on when the 1911 safety was to be disengaged and I asked plainly how was that to be done with a Glock. I did not specify external safety, but since that was what the discussion was about, it was a given that you were incapable of grasping. Are you sure that you are fluent in English?

Last edited by jwp475; 10/20/11.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dont normally "carry" but I usually have a 6906 near me in my bag.
But at the risk of called a girl
I picked up a 317 S&W today OK its 10oz (not inc ammo) and 8 shots of 22LR from a J frame
Because its light and easy to carry I may quite a bit more often
Because its a J frame revolver its easy to opperate
Because its 22 my next shots will be controllable

What about that?

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No I don't need to work on my"draw and stroke". You were lecturing on when the 1911 safety was to be disengaged and I asked plainly how was that to be done with a Glock. I did not specify external safety, but since that was what the discussion was about, it was a given that you were incapable of grasping. Are you sure that you are fluent in English?

"Grasping" huh, at straws maybe? Bless your heart.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You had no way out and still don't

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best safety is keep you finger off the trigger until you have the pistol out of the holster . Drawing a 1911 with the thumb safety off is no different than drawing a Glock or XD from the holster. Finger off the trigger will keep you from accidental gunshot in the leg or foot. End of argument .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This is a fascinating thought provoking post, Kevin. Some really good points have been made.
My choices are kind of broad based. They are based on a number of things. But first a few "rules" or shall we say considerations.
Where are you carrying and what are the threats there ? How difficult is it to keep that thing truly concealed but ready when needed ? What kind of tactics do you plan to use if confronted by something you must deal with which requires a gun ?
I've been a cop and still know lots of them. I was around when the Black Panthers got started, etc. They aren't really trained like an elite military force BTW. I know/knew some of the guys that shot it out with them. I've known a fair number of guys who were employed by LAPD and the LA county SO.
I've been to lots of shootings involving civilians, etc. Self defense, drunken arguments, you name it. I've been there and done that when we took down both low class and at least one high class hit man, etc.
Like has been said. If you live and/or work in a high crime area, that is not just different but far different than living in a quiet, peaceful community. I've done both and seen what a really big difference there is. BTW, crime stats don't tell anything like the truth in our big cities compared to places where I live now. Even our big cities have stark differences in the threat levels that you face when in them.
This all means you need to have situation awareness and you need to employ tactics which will be a matter of habit.
For example, I always lock doors behind me when I come home or leave. Always. When in a public place, particularly a restuarant or any probable robbery target, I'm aware of who is where and what they are like and doing. If I sit down, it always with my back against a wall, and watching the door.
My point is that a gun is no good if you don't see it coming. My second one is that I never rely on the gun as my only tactic. That means if it looks like something is about to happen, I/we are out of there.
Nor am I carrying a gun to make any arrests or to rescue those I don't know. Too many chances it will go wrong. And if it does, it goes really bad.
Guns and why ? I like the 1911's in .45 ACP. I'm going to look seriously at a Commander style like your S&W w/ a laser, or a Colt Defender. One thing some don't realize is that a 230 gr. .45 will do a good job of shooting things like auto glass or interior doors where the 9mm's don't I kind like that option. But, frankly, if I'm feeling lazy and want to carry something lighter, I like the 5.7 FN. Won't shoot through glass and doors, but it will do alot more damage than any .380 load.
Above all, they conceal very well, are availiable to either hand and can be operated with eiither hand. Keeping that gun truly concealed is something that is alot more important than some think. If you get made, the bad guys will think you are a cop, and the good guys may think you are a bad guy.
All this means is that which gun is important only to you. It must be very familar to you. Like an extenson of your arm. You must have complete faith in it. And you must know it strenth and weaknesses. Not hard for gun nuts. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The best safety is keep you finger off the trigger until you have the pistol out of the holster . Drawing a 1911 with the thumb safety off is no different than drawing a Glock or XD from the holster. Finger off the trigger will keep you from accidental gunshot in the leg or foot. End of argument .

Mas Ayoob and every other trainer of note says you are FOS.

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,570
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.