Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey All - I'm struggling with the above question. I have a new job offer and I've accepted it. But right now, I work in a small organization and I'm the only person that does what I do (I'm the IT guy) and I've been with the company for almost 20 years. That said, our employee handbook says hourly employees (which I am) need only provide 2 weeks.

I'm going to turn in my resignation Monday morning. Do I go with the handbook and provide 2 weeks or should I offer to stay on for a month?

What do you think?
Rob

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Two weeks

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Always best not to burn bridges, you never know. But I would give two weeks notice, then say that you might be able to arrange to stay another week if they think it necessary. Be willing to give a bit, but let them know it's putting you in a bind.

That's what I would do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you think that it would be more beneficial to your current company to give them more notice, then sit down with your superior, tell him what's up, and offer to stay and help....assuming that you can stay a month and not affect your standing with your new employers.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
McInnis has it right IMO. Any chance they will make an offer you can't refuse to get you to stay?

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been with the company for almost 20 years

What did the others do?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The place I worked at two jobs ago gave me 15 minutes notice before layoff and the last one even less. Places like that don't encourage one to give any notice.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If they haven't done what was necessary to retain a 20 year employee, they don't deserve more than 2 weeks. Good managers review an employees worth regularly and don't wait to get notice to take appropriate action.

Last edited by doubletap; 10/22/11. Reason: spelling

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 weeks, respectfully.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it says 2 weeks then 2 weeks. If they can't function without you they should have planned for that and/or not put you in a position to look for another job.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd give them two weeks, tops..

If they whine about you leaving, tell them very directly and specifically IN DOLLARS what in would cost to retain you.

Leaving a job is a lot like breaking up with a chick, the longer you drag it out the more chance for something to go wrong.

If you are going to leave, do it as quickly as possible and get on with your next gig.

Last edited by jim62; 10/22/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If it goes like some of the jobs I have quit for a better one,when I gave them 2 weeks notice they said why wait just leave now.
Some employers in the oil field back in the day thought they could replace a hand with the next yo yo that came in the door.
If you give them 2 weeks and that happens to you at least you know you tried to treat them right.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd give them the two weeks.

But I've never understood why an employee needed to give two weeks notice, but when I've been let go, it was immediate.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62

If they whine about you leaving, tell them very directly and specifically IN DOLLARS what in would cost to retain you.

Leaving a job is a lot like breaking up with a chick, the longer you drag it out the more chance for something to go wrong.

If you are going to leave, do it as quickly as possible and get on with your next gig.

If you give notice or impy that you are leaving and want to fish for more money I can tell you what likely will happen. They'll give you the money to stay and 5 seconds after you are out the office door they are looking for someone to take over your job long term.

At least that is what I would do. If you wanted more money or something else you should ask for that before you get another job and want to use it for a negotiating tactic.

That's just my opinion as a former business owner.

Like I said give them 2 weeks and be done with it. Depending on what you do don't be suprised if you give them 2 weeks notice and they let you go right away or quicker than 2 weeks. Not saying it will happen but it's always a possibility to get someone out of the office that's leaving.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was talking to Milt when one of the guys in his Dep't walked up and said;" Milt, I ain't cut out for this inside work , I'm giving you my two weeks notice and goin' back to roughneckin'."

"Well,Knobby,I hate to see you go but I understand" was Milt's response.

That afternoon , Milt got to lookin' for Knobby and someone told him that Knobby left out with his lunchpail right after he'd talked to MIlt.A week or so later,Knobby showed up to get his drag up pay and Milt said;" Hell,Knobby, I thought you was givin' me two weeks notice".

Knobby replied;"I did , Milt. I figgered it would take you two weeks to notice I was gone!"

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's just business. Give your two weeks, and walk out with your head held high. If they get pissy with you, tell them you wouldn't mind leaving earlier.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by jim62

If you give notice or impy that you are leaving and want to fish for more money I can tell you what likely will happen. They'll give you the money to stay and 5 seconds after you are out the office door they are looking for someone to take over your job long term.

At least that is what I would do. If you wanted more money or something else you should ask for that before you get another job and want to use it for a negotiating tactic.

That's just my opinion as a former business owner.

Like I said give them 2 weeks and be done with it. Depending on what you do don't be suprised if you give them 2 weeks notice and they let you go right away or quicker than 2 weeks. Not saying it will happen but it's always a possibility to get someone out of the office that's leaving.

NathanL - Trust me, there's no going back. I suppose I feel like I should stay on to help only out some sense of misplaced loyalty. I'm sure if they wanted to make a change, they'd usher me out the door while meeting the new guy on the way.

But I think of myself as a standup guy and I'd like to at least offer to help them out if they'd like it. So perhaps I should give 2 weeks with that offer to help them as needed for a specified time period (much could be done remotely and in the evenings as needed).

Just another twist...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Giving two weeks is always good form. That means something if the next company does not work out and you need a reference from the one you are at now. Plus it's taking the high road. A couple of things you might want to think about are accrued vacation and health insurance. If you have accrued vacation you may want to ask if it will be paid out to you and how: on your last regular check or separately. If it's on the last regular check you might want to adjust the with holdings on that one so they don't take more out than is needed. On the health insurance side, if you won't be eligible for it from your new employer in over 62 days you may want to pick up Cobra from your current employer so you don't subject yourself to a year of preexisting conditions on the new policy. Best wishes with the new job.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Two weeks is normal.

I gave 2 months when I moved back to MN from WI. I wanted them to be able to have a chance at a replacement for me, and two weeks wouldn't have done it. They were greatful for it, as was I, they didn't show me the door that day.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very respectfully give your two weeks notice. Then say that you realize that there might be things that arise afterwards, and you'd be happy to work out an hourly arrangement to come back and help make sure they don't have problems while training a new guy.

Take the hourly pay and buy a few new rifles.

grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,007
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.