Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by jim62
I'd give them two weeks, tops..

If they whine about you leaving, tell them very directly and specifically IN DOLLARS what in would cost to retain you.

Leaving a job is a lot like breaking up with a chick, the longer you drag it out the more chance for something to go wrong.

If you are going to leave, do it as quickly as possible and get on with your next gig.

If you give notice or impy that you are leaving and want to fish for more money I can tell you what likely will happen. They'll give you the money to stay and 5 seconds after you are out the office door they are looking for someone to take over your job long term.

At least that is what I would do. If you wanted more money or something else you should ask for that before you get another job and want to use it for a negotiating tactic.

That's just my opinion as a former business owner.

Like I said give them 2 weeks and be done with it. Depending on what you do don't be suprised if you give them 2 weeks notice and they let you go right away or quicker than 2 weeks. Not saying it will happen but it's always a possibility to get someone out of the office that's leaving.

I don't think you understood what I posted.

I said if THEY ask what it would take for him to stay..

I did not imply that use his leaving solely as a way to "bargain" for more money. Only if they asked HIM what it would take for him to stay..

Frankly, his existing job must not be too stellar or he would not even be considering a change. I say the quicker he leaves, the better.

Last edited by jim62; 10/23/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jump to conclusions much and fly off the handle? Yeah nice edit to remove your comments about me being a cheap [bleep] employer. Which was really uncalled for to begin with since you know nothing about me and just messing up someones thread asking for advice.

I understood exactly what you posted. If "they" whine being the employer tell them what you want.

I stated that "IF" he did that what would likely happen even if they agreed to it was that they would very quickly start looking to replace him.

Go back and read where I said "IF" multiple times to that scenario.

But why would an employer keep a person who said they wanted to quit and then turned around and took more money to stay? No one in their right mind is who. Because you know the next little bump in the road they are going to be out the door again since they already had one job lined up. Then you as an employer are back in the same situation.

People outgrow jobs, period. It's not always about money and some people you could throw gobs of money at them and they wouldn't stay.

The whole point being is you you decide to go you have to go. Give your two weeks or whatever is normal in your industry and move on. If they want to pay you to come back and consult and help their new hire then get it in writing etc....

Last edited by NathanL; 10/23/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was ready to retire I offered 6 weeks notice so they might decide what they were going to do with my position. There were some other outside factors at play for which I requested some consideration. The personnel guy I was dealing with said no way they could accommodate my request (this after more than 39 years service) so I said "fine I'll be gone in a week and a half."

The personnel guy said "no way, they union contract says a minimum of 2 weeks notice." In reply I said "fine you can come to my home and try to drag me back in."

After 4 days the personnel department came back and said they could meet my request but they tried to make it sound as if they were doing me a favour. I ended up staying the 6 weeks but more as a favour to my boss who I got along with.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of times nowdays when you give notice an employer will just pay you to leave that day. Especially if you handle stuff very high up in the company and/or work on computers like the OP said he was in the IT arena I believe.

I've never personally done it but I think it's pretty common in larger corporation type businesses that are afraid of a ticked of employe on the premises doing who knows what.

Way back when I worked for the US Forest Service they would let you quit and give notice equal to the number of days of comp time you had. I believe they've changed it now but then you received 8 hours or one day or work comp time for every 2 weeks of work and lots of people got ungodly number of days for going out west and working the fire season etc....They had special rates for comp time on assignment so if you worked a week of 12 or 16 hour days you might get an almost equal number of days of comp time.

One guy quit and had 1100+ days of comp time. So he gave his notice and as far as I know they kept paying him for the next 4 years because they wouldn't pay it all out at once. Several people did it in the short time frame I worked there because there was talk of them changing the whole system to keep people from doing it.

Last edited by NathanL; 10/23/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Technoman26
That said, our employee handbook says hourly employees (which I am) need only provide 2 weeks.

I'm going to turn in my resignation Monday morning. Do I go with the handbook and provide 2 weeks or should I offer to stay on for a month?

You are obligated to give 2 weeks, minimum. Of course that (like almost everything) is negotiable. If they are willing to let you go sooner and you want to do that, go.

If they want you to stay until they find a replacement, and it does not interfere with your new situation, stay.

A lot depends on your reasons for leaving and how amicable your relationship is currently.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Two weeks is the standard. Adjust up or down depending on the nature of the job and the difficulty in they will have in replacing you. I gave three weeks on my last job and offered to do part time work after leaving full time. It worked out well as I've done part time work for them for the past few years. Never burn bridges unnecessarily.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Do everything by the "book". If it says 2 weeks then give 2 weeks. Then you have done your part.

My wife, an RN worked for a place that required 3 week.

I hated working for a company that had the mentality of "somebody's always looking for a job". Or the "if you don't like it, there is the door". Bastids like that don't deserve 2 weeks, but they will screw you if you don't.

Good luck.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
you guys make me laugh that think you can't be replaced or a company can't do without you..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two weeks is standard. However....you can't see the future in your new job and you might need a reference from them. Stay on their good side and leave in the best possible circumstances.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been self employed for 30 years, my perspective may not jive with today's work enviroment.
If the employer can dispose of you in the next 30 minutes, why can't you do like wise. This only applies if you have no interest in returning to that company.
If this an amiciable departure then give them all the time they need.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Very respectfully give your two weeks notice. Then say that you realize that there might be things that arise afterwards, and you'd be happy to work out an hourly arrangement to come back and help make sure they don't have problems while training a new guy.

Take the hourly pay and buy a few new rifles.

grin

Solid plan, right there.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I've done that, sort of. One place I quit after about 5 years paid me for a few months to come in after hours and make parts on their machines... it was a nice bridge to the next thing. Also nice not to burn bridges unnecessarily. You just never know.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At my place of employment a 2 week notice is required per the employee handbook. However everyone that has walked in the office and given a 2 week notice has been immediatly fired. If the time comes for me to leave I will just walk out with out a word.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A bunch of this is akin to breaking up with a gal and staying friends. When it's done, it's done. Onward and upward, never looking back.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The employee handbook doesn't mean squat. It always makes me laugh when company's put a timeframe on the notice that employees need to give when they leave. Last time I checked most company's don't give you notice when they decide to let you go.

Assuming they aren't mistreating you, after 20 years, I'd offer to stay 30 days with the understanding that you will leave sooner if they hire someone within that 30 days. That's just the kind of guy I am. While I agree with Scott that you should never look back, it's a very small world and you never know if/when you may work for (or them for you) someone you used to work with in the past. Keep things clean, cool, and professional.

Last edited by remfak; 10/23/11.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by McInnis
Always best not to burn bridges, you never know. But I would give two weeks notice, then say that you might be able to arrange to stay another week if they think it necessary. Be willing to give a bit, but let them know it's putting you in a bind.

That's what I would do.

Me too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only you know what the right answer is, sounds like they must not be too bad of a company if you stayed 20 years.

and is it that they are a smaller company and just flat don't have the resources of your new employer?

if so hard to hold that against them.

2 weeks is minimum imo, i.e. you tell em, they put an ad in the paper, interview that week, hire someone and have one week to train them, not an easy thing to do.

i loved your idea and I bet they will too about being available via remote or phone to help the FNG diagnose and correct problems

puters are like cars and houses, each system has it's own unique little setups and stuff, having the knowledge of someone that has BTDT with that system is invaluable.

most of it just depends upon how you feel about your employer of 20 years

good luck to you in your new gig, most always good to make more dinero

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely give the two weeks. If you help during transition, be SURE to have a definite cut off date. You will need to concentrate on your new job and the sooner the better.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Employee handbooks come from a standard form. Ours says 2 weeks, defines breaks and lunch. Has all the crap about guns, ammo, weapons, noticing pretty women, and all. The office doesn't go by their side, and neither do I.

I, too, am a "valuable" employee, except at raise time; right now they know they have me over a barrel because of age and my wife's cancer. The last time I had a couple days off, I found I could really come to not miss the place.

Every place I worked gave 2 hours notice to employees.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
what the manual says , you own the company nothing.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,816
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.