-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was thinking (I have to much time on my hands) does it make sense to build a rifle. Would I be better off buying a Cooper rifle. I figure the cost of building a rifle will be about the same as buying a Cooper rifle.

Give me your thoughts on the subject.

Thank you

I am Canadian.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I like to pick out the parts...so I always build!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I personally think building a rifle only makes sense if you are after an uncommon cartridge, or want a specific twist, or barrel contour/length.

For example, I cannot see building a sporter weight 30'06, since one can be had at any walmart, but that is just me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it would be hard to build a rifle with the quality of wood that a Cooper comes with for the same amount of money.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the same way. Putting $1000 in a stick is no problem.

Originally Posted by Prwlr
I think it would be hard to build a rifle with the quality of wood that a Cooper comes with for the same amount of money.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can buy exactly what you want over the counter there is no reason to build.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Depends on what your idea of a "build" is - if you take it from the ground up (purchasing all of the parts rather than having some on hand) they can add up pretty quickly.

Let's say you want to build a good hunting rifle using a Remington action, Pac-Nor barrel, and a McMillan stock

Rem action - $350
Pac-Nor barrel - $310
Pac-Nor barrel fitting(by Pac-Nor) - $300
McMillan stock - $500
stock bedding - $100
shipping of the various parts - $100
TOTAL $1660

If you want a checkered walnut stock figure at least another $500 to the price.

This would not include anything other than a basic build anything over and above this would run the total up pretty quickly.

I just checked Gunsamerica.com and there are 7 Cooper ,model 54 (medium action length) rifles there for right at $1800, and 7 Cooper model 52 (long action length) for right around the same price range. The 52 & 54 are both repeater models, if you want a single shot in either a classic or varmint stock prices are quite a bit less.

Too me it is a no-brainer because you get a rifle with a 1/2" accuracy guarantee, a warranty, and good resale value.

Resale value on most builds is considerably less than the money spent to build them.

drover

Last edited by drover; 10/25/11. Reason: to correct price of stock

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i do a lot of my own work on stocks, and am doing my best to know my guns inside and out, so i opt to build where i can.

that said, its hard to go wrong with many factory offerings these days, provided you reload, you can get some stellar accuracy from factory rifles.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
having done both many times, the issue comes down to money. If I am feeling like I owe myself something,I will build. there is a certain joy that comes from picking components, then caliber, and finish. then of course, shooting most of them is a pretty much guarantee you did the right thing. But 95% of us, including me most of the time, I will come up with some excuse that I NEED another rifle, buy one off the rack, then bed it, trigger job, and condition with bore...and guess what? for a 1/3 the money, they shoot almost and sometimes, just as well as the customs. just depends on where you are coming from, but some very fine rifles are being made today and with a little extra after the fact, they are just fine.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you are sure you can't get exactly what you want from an easily modified factory rifle, then building MAY be the answer. That assumes you know a rifle builder who can give you EXACTLY what you want. Be warned, rifle builders often specialize in certain types of rifles. Not all of them can deliever what they claim and some do strange things that can cause problems for the uninformed.
As rule, and this is from a guy that hasn't bought a new factory rifle in many years, having his new rifles all built to his fussy ideas, a factory rifle can often be cheaply tweaked to make almost anyone pretty happy.
Another thing I might add. If really nice wood is one of your desires, I'd look hard at what the nicer factory guns have to offer unless you already have the blank and, again, know somebody who will do a first class job. E

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Cooper would bring more $ down the road vs a semi on a factory action if you were to sell. If you're like me, most rigs never leave the stable, so it's a moot point.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I build or buy with the sole intension of getting what I want so selling isn't a consideration when buying. That said, there are many factory rifles these day's that can deliver stunning accuracy right off the shelf so I don't feel the need to build unless I want something special. If you just want a good shooting rifle a Cooper will serve you well. So will a Remington and a few other brands for that matter.

Terry

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In your original post, I read you have time, but no mention of patience. It will take a lot of patience having one built.

The guy doing the metal work may run late, then the guy providing the stock, then the stockmaker, then the checker person, they may all run late!

Of course if there is something in particular that you want made a certain way that is not available over the counter, you have to go for it and hope he pays good attention to the information you give him.
Happy Hunting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simplyme
I was thinking (I have to much time on my hands) does it make sense to build a rifle. Would I be better off buying a Cooper rifle. I figure the cost of building a rifle will be about the same as buying a Cooper rifle.

Give me your thoughts on the subject.

Thank you

What are you hoping for in the build ? There is no way in hell you'll build a nice looking rifle (nice wood stocked that is) for what you can typically get from Cooper. You'll spend thousands trying to get something that looks as nice and shoots as good as a box stock Cooper.

You might also want to take a look at one of those new wood stocked Nosler customs called the Legend or Legacy or something like that.

Found a link to the rifle above..

[u][color:#000099][size:11pt]Nosler Legacy Rifle[/size][/color][/u]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.