Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
seems the Creedmore is creating quite the stir these days and I am sure its a very fine cartridge, but really now..is it THAT much different or better than a 7-08 to create all the hysteria.? so lets hear it from teh Creedmore guys.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont see any difference between it and a 260, much less a 7-08.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It propels a 6.5mm bullet at a good velocity without requiring much powder or very high pressures. That's good, but hardly unique. The rest is marketing. The 'ultimate' cartridge in that niche is almost 100 years old, i.e. the 250 Savage. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the 7-08 was introduce by remington in their budget line of model 788 deer rifles... i don't actually remember but i don't think they were even available in the model 700 at first...

the creedmore was developed as a competitors's cartridge... and it makes use of design features that maximize it's capability... whether these design features are a subtle thing or a major deal is a matter of perspective...

winning placements in rifle competition come down to very small differences in performance... in deer hunting, one rifle/cartridge combo is pretty much like another...

and a lot of successful deer hunters are not great rifle shots...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking about getting one in a Ruger Target rifle for long range praire dog shooting but don't know if anyone makes a suitable bullet "ie" explosive in this caliber.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I recall the 7-08 was introduced in Reminton's 700 varmit rifles for the shilouette shooters. It seems some liked the high BC 7mm bullets were better than the .308 bullets at the time. Gradually it caught on and continues to rise in popularity much like the .308 did.
The 6.5 Creedmoor avoids the need to seat the long 140 gr. bullets deeper into the case and thus avoids the dreaded "doughnut" that can form at the base of the case neck. It's designed specially as a long range target round, not as a hunting round like the .260 was when it was commerically introduced. True, it was originally developed as a target round, but was not introduced to the public that way.
Beside an appealing looking case design and it's pratical application, the Creedmoor round is sold by Ruger with heavier than standard barrels and they are unusually accurate. I understand they are now made with 24 inch barrels not the 26 inch ones when first introduced. When shot with the Hornady factory ammo, they are usually very accurate. Shot at long ranges, they buck wind better than any other comparable round. That and they kick less than the .308, not much more than the .243. Lots of things to like there.
If you are looking for an unusually accurate rifle, with outstanding long range performance, the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor is a really good, inexpensive choice. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 10/25/11.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To me, if a person is looking for a 26-cal rifle, the question is why would you _not_ look hard at a Creedmoor? Whether other cartridges already exist in the class is completely immaterial. If a person is looking for a rifle, then they should evaluate what's available. The Creed has a number of advantages over the 260, including the aforementioned ability to seat heavier bullets w/o losing powder space. If you don't need that, no problem, but it doesn't become a _dis_advantage.

If your preferred rifle maker only chambers one of the various 26-cals, then buy that one so that you'll get the rifle you prefer. If you have a choice between, for example, the Creed and the 260, I can't think of any decent, objective reason to choose the 260, but then again I prefer quarter bores. wink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've seen variious spellings in this thread so far, but the word is Creedmoor, after an old shooting range.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed with a shorter, slightly fatter body than the .260, avoiding the problem occasionally found with the .260 of having part of the ogive of very long, tapered 140-grain target bullets down inside the case neck. This could make bullet pull slightly erratic.

That's the entire reason for the Creedmoor. The powder capacity is just about exactly the same as the .260, and they will do the same things ballistically.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The more the merrier I say. The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed to be able to match 260 rem ballistics while being able to use heavier/longer bullets (140 class) in std magazine lengths (mag length ammo is the key here)for NRA High Power competition (ie. AR platform rifles)

It's a great little cartridge. It can be argued and beaten to death if we need any new cartridges but I personally like new stuff whether it overlaps something else or not. Gives me another excuse to build something new.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've seen variious spellings in this thread so far, but the word is Creedmoor, after an old shooting range.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed with a shorter, slightly fatter body than the .260

So that means it is a rebated cartridge?

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh, Oh. My infamous bad spelling again. Well, I get lots of practice reading and corecting myself here. Thank you MD.
"Rebated" as in rebated rim like the .284 Winchester ? I don't think so. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like for a hunting application ... the diff's between a 260 & a CreedMoor is like pickin fly poop outta the pepper since the whole magilla is about seating long ogive 140gr match bullets deeper ...or not ... and having a grain or two +? more powder in the CreedMoor's fatter case.

My question is ...will a CreedMoor kill more critters than a 260 and at longer ranges? Doesn't sound like it to me...but then I just got a 260Rem not for killing paper or gongs but to hunt fur covered food with for the 1st time last week and ain't had time to put it together and pull the trigger on it yet....so I'll have to start the season I guess with an ancient old 270WCF.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a damn fine Target round that kills deer very well.....
So far,this Ruger outshoots any of the .260's I tried.
that's my story....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle, I agree, guns that are not accurate are not interesting, sometimes worth fixing, and worth keeping just for a name brand.

I just need to see if this SAKO 260 I just got will shoot as well as the Tikka T3 Swede I traded as part of the deal to get the Sako ...if so I'll be a happy camper...if not the SAKO will go down the road and I'll need to do something different again I guess. My only gripe with the Tikka was the way the furniture looked and feel of it like something out of "Rooms to Go" instead of Ethan Allen.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Model 7 in 260 only shoots the Hornady 129gr. Interlocks well. Anything heavier and it's all over the place. That's OK because it just gets used on whitetailed deer, but it would be nice to have the option to shoot something heavier. Don't know if it's the twist rate or what.

`Bring Enough Gun`
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Would you mind sending that information to Savage? Perhaps you'll have better luck getting them (or at least their webmaster?) to listen than I have.
wink

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I recall the 7-08 was introduced in Reminton's 700 varmit rifles for the shilouette shooters. It seems some liked the high BC 7mm bullets were better than the .308 bullets at the time. Gradually it caught on and continues to rise in popularity much like the .308 did.
The 6.5 Creedmoor avoids the need to seat the long 140 gr. bullets deeper into the case and thus avoids the dreaded "doughnut" that can form at the base of the case neck. It's designed specially as a long range target round, not as a hunting round like the .260 was when it was commerically introduced. True, it was originally developed as a target round, but was not introduced to the public that way.
Beside an appealing looking case design and it's pratical application, the Creedmoor round is sold by Ruger with heavier than standard barrels and they are unusually accurate. I understand they are now made with 24 inch barrels not the 26 inch ones when first introduced. When shot with the Hornady factory ammo, they are usually very accurate. Shot at long ranges, they buck wind better than any other comparable round. That and they kick less than the .308, not much more than the .243. Lots of things to like there.
If you are looking for an unusually accurate rifle, with outstanding long range performance, the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor is a really good, inexpensive choice. E

well put..makes a guy think..truth is, I am trying to avoid yet another rifle !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if... if i were looking at a .26 cal. rifle, i could give the Creedmoor (thanks M.D.) a look... but it'd depend on the rifle way more than the cartridge...

even if i were sold on the merits of the 6.5s, i'd still take a rifle that i liked in .24 or .25 (or .27) before compromising on the rifle in order to shoot a .26...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As long as we are talking about the 6.5 Creedmore there is another cartridge that is very similar. the 6.5 x 47 lapua.

Here is a link that compares the 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 x 47L. There must be a quite a demand for three cartridges that are so similar.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I find anything that acheives reasonable velocity with a 129 gr. Hornady and is a non-magnum in a 6.5 is very sweet and tends to make me just a bit more of an envious sinner. Someday one of them will be mine...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,701
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.