Print Thread
Hop To
K
kla Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Can somebody give me a history lesson on post64 M70 iterations and which are the best. Some are CRF and some PF. Some are described as New Haven and some FN. Some have the old trigger and some a new one. Do they all have the same safety? Which are the best and why? Redneck, don't be bashful to chime in here since you are the resident expert.

I want a lightweight small caliber M70 and can't afford the $1000+ for a pre-64 FWT in .243.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you can find BOTH push feed and CRF models for well under a thousand,up to you, whichever your prefference, depending on cal, condition, and ss or cm...

a featherweight may do you right, I know many may have alot more info than me, just chiming in...can't go wrong with a Win M70 wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ive been carrying a push feed M70 carbine in 270 for a while now. it handles nicely, but kicks like a mule.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a modern 70SS in .338 almost new I'd be willing to sell at a very reasonable price.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All model 70's except the FN's use the original trigger design. All post-64's prior to the advent of the "Classic" model are push feeds.
The first four years of post-64 manufacture produced rifles were to epitome of an econo-rifle. Ugly stock with pressed-in checkering, all aluminum bottom metal, riveted magazine follower. I was fourteen years old when I saw my first one, at a trade show in Calgary, Alberta, and I was disappointed to say the least.
In 1968, the stock shape was changed and the checkering, while still pressed in, was now positive aspect. That is to say, the diamonds were not just holes in the stock. Other changes included the addition of an anti-bind feature which remained on Model 70's for the duration. Also the magazine follower was steel. All in all, the rifle was better looking and better feeling than those of the previous four years.
Other changes followed. The stock was changed again and the checkering was now cut, albeit by a computer controlled machine, In addition, the stocks now had a bakelite forend tip. The floorplate was now cast steel thouygh the trigger guard remained cast aluminum. Beneath the stock line, the receivers were still rough as they came out of the forging die. The rifles were still push feeds. Ithink it was around 1980 or so that the Featherweight was re-introduced. The barrel contour was much the same as the original FWT and the stock was a fairly attractive style with a schnabel forend. At about this same time the bottom of the receiver started being machined.
The Classic models, with the long extractor and controlled feeding showed up in the late eighties as I recall.
The winchester plant in New Haven Conn. produce all of the Model 70's until the company was bought out by FN and the New Haven plant was closed. Production of the FN Model 70's takes place in South Carolina.
There are quite a few differences between the FN Winchesters and those which preceeeded them. The barrel threads are different. The bolt sleeve is different and the trigger is different. The FN's I have worked with are better made than the New Haven model IMO. GD

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kla
Can somebody give me a history lesson on post64 M70 iterations and which are the best. Some are CRF and some PF. Some are described as New Haven and some FN. Some have the old trigger and some a new one. Do they all have the same safety? Which are the best and why? Redneck, don't be bashful to chime in here since you are the resident expert.

I want a lightweight small caliber M70 and can't afford the $1000+ for a pre-64 FWT in .243.

Thanks
Greydog gave good info.. I'll just opine on a couple things..

The NH's were made until 2006.. Then a two-year hiatus and the '08s on up are FNs.. ALL the NHs had the old (and still best) trigger.. ALL the FNs have the new (and unproven) trigger.. Which is best? From an owner's standpoint, I'll take the old trigger over the MOA every day and twice on Sunday.. Why? Because if, due to weather, dirt/dust/whatever, it becomes untrustworthy while on a hunt, it can be easily and quickly attended to and put back together by the owner in mere minutes.. With the MOA - you're now outta the hunt and hope you brought a backup firearm..

The M70 was PF until the Classics came along in '92.. Even then, a few rifles had PF still (Non-WSM/WSSM Coyotes) and a few had CRPF (Super Shadow) actions..

The better Classics were made up to about '04, and then I know the quality began to suffer a bit..

The new ones may be prettier, but that's it... Nothing FN makes now, for the most part, can compare to the M70s coming out of the Custom Shop. Find one of those and you'll have an excellent rifle..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
just to add since you are looking at 243-ish calibers, up until 1984 or so, the 308/243 rifles were built on long actions.

K
kla Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for all the replies, especially greydog and RedNeck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you want to look for at the very early New Haven actions that have a serial number under G200,000. Those actions will have a little screw in the bolt/safety sleeve. These actions were made very well. Almost all of the guns that have a Boss barrel will have the low serial number actions.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am a fan of the mid 80s pf featherweights. Had one in 270. Shot great, felt great. My cousin now has it. Shot most bullets very well without tweaks or bedding.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,892
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.