Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Loc-tite seems a little extreme but do what gives you confidence.
I use 30 inch/lbs. on the base screws and 15 inch/lbs on the cap screws. Never any problems with a dozen setup this way with Talley LW's. Good luck.

By the way, make sure you degrease the base mounting holes in the action and the screw threads for bases and cap screws. A little lacquer thinner works well.

I've found that to be very important.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, had that issue with my M70. The most forward screw was bottoming out on the barrel thread, which caused it to strip. Cutting another screw down to size took care of that.
And as Waders said, farmer tight widda T-15 torx head screwdriver.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kinda tough to blame talley if you did not get the screws tight. I see it as installer error. I am not trying to be a dick, but for some guy skimming the net, he is going to see this and think they are no good. I actually think they one of the few great things to happen to gun that benefit light weight rifles.

my two percent of one dollar.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
High country I don't disagree with your installer error assessment and didn't mean to rip on On Talley per se other than to point out a problem I was having. I think other scope mount designs would have shown the problem sooner because they aren't one piece. I realize now that I didn't degrease the holes and didn't use locktite. I have run 3 sets of talleys now and this is the first problem. I also have never gotten the talley bite on my conquest scopes as some have mentioned.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BigBuck,

If you over tightening the bases, it's seems possible to me that you may be actually stretching the screws and not really getting them as tight as you'd think. In a conversation with Leupold custom service, a few years ago, I asked what is the torque spec. They told me "15-20 in. lbs... No more than 20!" Since then I have adhered to that. I do, however; use PURPLE Loc-tite. Purple is for small screws. I've never had one come loose... I figure there is a torque spec for a reason.
GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
Get a T-15 torx head screwdriver and crank the bases "farmer tight."

Blue locktite also works.

Careful, I once partially stripped threads in a soft bridge doing that. Locktite (blue), remaining threads, and a "Doh!" forehead slap have held the base in place for years now. In my (really, really weak) defense the screw was too short.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue works if you're lazy and don't degrease the threads and screw thoroughly. Never had to use heat to back one out, just a GOOD screwdriver carefully.

Also anything on the threads, grease, oil, thread locker, decreases friction so less torque is needed for the same "set." Another reason to go easy.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
BigBuck,

If you over tightening the bases, it's seems possible to me that you may be actually stretching the screws and not really getting them as tight as you'd think. In a conversation with Leupold custom service, a few years ago, I asked what is the torque spec. They told me "15-20 in. lbs... No more than 20!" Since then I have adhered to that. I do, however; use PURPLE Loc-tite. Purple is for small screws. I've never had one come loose... I figure there is a torque spec for a reason.
GH

Thank you Mr. Grasshopper, wish you posted more Kimber info here but understand your reluctance.
Anyway, if you are getting the Talley "bite", you are cranking the cap screws too tight. Plus, there is supposed to be a gap between the upper and lower ring. If you have NO gap, you are crushing the scope tube.
Gary and Chris from Talley recommend 17 inch/lbs.. They also say you CAN lap but very lightly. These aren't Ruger rings (my comment)!!!
Save yourself some error and grief, people. Buy an inch/pound torque wrench from your favorite supply house. Use it for the action screws, base screws and cap screws. "Farmer tight" depends on who the farmer is!

Personally I have not had an issue and I do not use any color Loctite. That was with 338's and wizzums. Not saying it won't happen. Don't forget a drop of fingernail polish used to be the norm also.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use red. If you want to remove the screws, hold a soldering iron on the screw heads for about a minute and the screws come right out.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tension all my base screws to about 30-35"-lbs, with some nail polish hardener(steal ya wifes. I did grin . Diamond dust gear is the best, grin ) on the threads before hand.
An old gunsmith taught me this some time back. Better than LT IMO too. Used both!
The polish when set dries hard, & when one wants to remove it, you will hear the snap crack that tight seal makes. Great technique.

Taking my rifle for a walk
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Degreasing is not part of the problem. Where torque really matters you want a lubricant so you are getting a true torque reading. Dry threads can "dry seize" and give a full torque reading prematurely. Not that this likely matters for scope bases but if you think greased threads are more likely to come loose that is wrong.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.