Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone have experience with the KUIU Spindrift http://shop.kuiu.com/spindrift-jacket-p15.aspx?ShowQuestions=True and with the LL Bean Primaloft Ascent http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60878?feat=509428-GN1? Do people prefer these type of jackets with or without hoods? I was wondering if the LL Bean is warmer do to it being heavier. The size large is 1 pound and 11 ounces according to LL Beans live help. Both jackets are filled with Primaloft One. I'm in the market for a jacket of this type and was wondering what people's experiences were.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I won't buy a "puffy" jacket without a hood. Here is what I just bought:

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=17580&TabID=548

My medium weighs 24oz IIRC. The hood tucks into the collar, I believe it is about 2oz climashield and the body is climashield Combat which IIRC is 3oz or so.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That's another nice option. I like how the hood stows away.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

My medium weighs 24oz IIRC. The hood tucks into the collar, I believe it is about 2oz climashield and the body is climashield Combat which IIRC is 3oz or so.

Hard to beat at that price!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
i have used the spindrift jacket alot this fall. it's light, warm
good pillow too, always had a jacket or shirt over it, think alot of brush might damage the nylon exterior of the jacket.
great piece of gear!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it's a dedicated midlayer hoodless can make sense, but a hood will typically be the warmest couple of ounces that you carry. PL one is good stuff--breaks down more quickly than continuous filament (like climashield) but is loftier for the weight.
For synthetic puffy jackets, the insulation value (i.e. 80 grams) is per meter sq., not total fill weight like down jackets. Keep this in mind for comparison or you'll be way off.

The LL Bean jacket doesn't list a fill density as far as I can tell so you really can't compare the two very well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's a thread that discusses jackets. Included is a link to a review that I found on various jackets available. I bought the Mountain Hardwear Zonal. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5604373/1

-Doug

BASR
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Used my new Montbell Thermawrap for the first time last week. Like it,very effective and light mid-layer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the Spindrift and have compared a few others. The spindrift in XL weighs 13ozs. The thermawraps from montbell are about the same. The spindrift isn't super warm. It will get you down to 15-20 degrees when still with a base layer and shell. Can go lower when active or with other layers. Lots of good options out there. I've got a Cabelas PL jacket that weighs 27 ozs like the LLbean and it is nice and a little warmer but usually gets left at home due to weight. I've also got a Kelvin vest and it's very warm but also heavy. The Kelvin jacket is very heavy. A hood is very nice if you need the warmth.

Lee

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Used my new Montbell Thermawrap for the first time last week. Like it,very effective and light mid-layer.

I like mine too. Personally, for hunting I don't like hoods becasue I'm usually wearing a hat, many times an orange one to comply with the law. Even without that, I like to have my ears uncovered for obvious reasons.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Cruiser1

I like mine too. Personally, for hunting I don't like hoods becasue I'm usually wearing a hat, many times an orange one to comply with the law. Even without that, I like to have my ears uncovered for obvious reasons.

Me too.
Thermawrap + no hood

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We prefer hoods in case it gets nasty.... its just as easy for me to not use a hood as anything, and I can put the hood on and put my hat on over it if need be, the otehr way around or just let it flop, or bundle it up around the back of my neck for bit of extra insulation there, but still leave the ears uncovered... I don't like my ears covered most times either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just depends on how you're going to use it. That LL Bean is heavy...but likely uses a more durable outer. The Montbell Thermawrap is a great jacket for hunting...as a mid layering piece. I wouldn't use it as an outer layer due to the super thin and light material. I too prefer the hoodless version for this same reason...as a mid-layer the hood is just a nuisance. I highly recommend the Thermawrap though...super-compressible and light...throw it in your daypack and forget it's even there until you need it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
REI Revelcloud

I went through this same quest before my trip to Wyoming early this month. I wanted something I could wear for extra warmth/wind break while glassing/moving slow, and I wanted it to pack down small. I planned to wear it under my soft shell, so durability wasn't a huge factor in my search.

In my opinion, the Revelcloud has all the attributes I wanted. It packs down SUPER small (comes with its own stuff sack), kept me comfertable in the cold wind, and did a find job all around. It got a litle wet around the collar from hunting in a steady light rain, but the wet never got to my wool base layers. To top it all off - it carries REI warranty, one of the best. Held up great after getting tossed around in my pack. And it was a joy to wear in the sleeping bag for extra warmth.

Highly reccomend the REI Revelcloud. For the price, cant be beat.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies so far. The info about how warm the jacket is when sitting still is very helpful. I've noticed most LL Bean gear is a little heavier as they tend to over build their gear. I won't be using this jacket as an outer layer so durability isn't as much of a concern.
The jacket from US Cav looks interesting. Does it come with a stuff sack or does it stuff into a pocket?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by remington79

The jacket from US Cav looks interesting. Does it come with a stuff sack or does it stuff into a pocket?

No stuff sack. I use several of the polyester LW rolltop sacks that you can find in the camping section at Walmart. The largest one (green) will hold my Patagonia side-zip puffy pants (similar to the APCU, I think, same specs, different contract) AND the APCU jacket. About the size of a 20 degree down bag stuffed. The pants alone fit into the smallest (orange) of the three.

M
M
I love my Patagonia Micro Puff. It is warm, weighs approx 18 oz, and packs down. If you prefer hoods, they make a hooded version that weighs 2 oz or so more.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Micro Puff stuff just doesn't impress me. They stitch the insulation to the liner about every inch and a half, thus destroying the loft. It is quite heavy for the warmth it offers. I had one of the vests and promptly sold it on a hiker site, 'cause all hikers know pataguchi stuff is to die for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mountain hardwear subzero jacket is pretty toasty.
After moving to your stand it sure is nice to put on.
Packs fairly tight and good warmth for the weight.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntr
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Hard to beat at that price!

That looks really tempting, how is its outershell durability wise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 1_deuce, 50 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,542
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.