Print Thread
Hop To
A
AnWdad Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a spring bear hunt in montana planned and was talking with the outfitter the other night and said make sure you have good rain wear since we could be hunting in rain, sleet or wet snow. I have a cabelas dryplus camo coat that is ok but have never been in an all out down pour with it. I have a couple of cabelas guidewear coats and bibs for fishing and would like to find something as bulletproof as them but also quiet. I have good gortex pants but they are large and better suited for stand hunting. I was wondering what do i should be looking at - cabelas mto50, sitka, etc. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a cabelas dryplus camo coat that is ok but have never been in an all out down pour with it.
Test it out in the shower. If it works I would spend my money on something else for the hunt. However, unless it's a stand based hunt, I would want something with pit zips or other ventalating options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know how much rain to expect in Montana but I wouldn't usually consider it to be a rain forest. In my experience, if exposed to extreme rain conditions, the impermeable rain gear like Helly Hanson Impertech keeps the water out best. The Gore type materials work for most hunting conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with Vern, Impertech is the way to go and the goretex stuff is ok as long as your not walking in a downppour or through sopping wet brush, then it's pretty much useless.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

O
O
I suggest you check with your guide. H. Hansen is very good,but if you will be doing alot of walking especially uphill, you just as well wear no raingear cause you're gonna be soaked anyhow. My guess is light rain pants and a good poncho and a reliable hat. Wear the hat and keep the rest in a day pack. Airout the poncho and pants before you leave so you don't smell like rain gear. Check your boots for water resistance. Wet feet no fun. Good luck

IC B2

O
O
I forgot one other item. Put electrical tape over your rifle barrel and feel free to shoot thru it. Keep some extra wrapped around the barrel for spare. Can't shoot with mud/snow in it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Orehunter
I suggest you check with your guide. H. Hansen is very good,but if you will be doing alot of walking especially uphill, you just as well wear no raingear cause you're gonna be soaked anyhow. My guess is light rain pants and a good poncho and a reliable hat. Wear the hat and keep the rest in a day pack. Airout the poncho and pants before you leave so you don't smell like rain gear. Check your boots for water resistance. Wet feet no fun. Good luck

I've found that with pit zips and slowing down your movement enough, with Precip (supposedly about the same as impertech) you can move and not sweat much. Its all in how you handle the situation and what the temps are. We often try to take at least one layer off if a storm is coming.

If you are on a forced march though... yeah you'll sweat through...

Gore tex is about the biggest joke I"ve ever owned for real rain.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,797
Posts18,516,151
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.