Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well after getting the flinch from hell, and not being able to hit the ground if i tried after the 2nd shot I got to work.

Rounded up a set of hogue wrap arounds, to replace the ubber skinny grips that were on it. Feels a lil better. Although now they are thick enough that my thumb isnt long enough to hit the slide release without changing my grip. Seems I could hit the release with the old grips. Gotta look into options.
[Linked Image]

Had some bullseye in the powder measure allready, so
AA#5 will have to wait. Picked up a box of berrys 185's and had some 200gr SWC's on hand loaded them both with 4.5gr. Then took it out. Was exactly the recoil that I need right now.

Ran about 400 rounds of the same through it today. I dont notice a flinch but try an pull the trigger on round #8 that doesnt exist and theres still a faint flinch.

What I did notice though, was that I was sorta leaning forwrd into the gun. And it was working for hitting my spinner target. Put it on paper though and groups were ugly. I tried a more straight upright postion. Felt way awkward. BUT looking at what happened to my groups I think I'll try some more trigger time this way and see just what exactly happens. looks promising.

Its kinda a relief to finally see some progress. With a rifle im confident with. With a shotgun its natural for me and stupid simple. But damn this handgun thing kicks my azz. I catch myself trying to snap off a shot soon as the front sight hits my target. And everytime it doesnt work grin slowly gettin better thoguh

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those little suckers are pretty unforgiving, keep after it you'll get it. By the way, I like it.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like that rail.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
About that rail, have you thought about sticking something on their to see if a little extra weight would help with recoil reduction?

Maybe take one of THESE and stick a piece of 1" steel round stock in it for some forward weight. The added mass should help reduce recoil and since the weight is out front, should help reduce muzzle flip as well.

It wouldn't be ideal for working on holster draw or such but it should help you get in some basic training trigger time without worrying about fighting the flinch.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Front sight, surprise break....front sight, surprise break...front sight....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Us rifemen tend to focus on our target, which works great with a scoped rifle or a peep sighted rifle. With a handgun and. especially with a short barreled handgun SIGHT PICTURE has to be the FOCUS with its relation to the target very much secondary. Bass Ackwards from what we are accustomed to but if you get this down, and then trigger control, you will be shooting like a champ. Buy some 45ACP dummy or snap cap rounds and use them at home, a lot. These two things will get you where you want and need to be. Nice gun, BTW.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
About that rail, have you thought about sticking something on their to see if a little extra weight would help with recoil reduction?

Maybe take one of THESE and stick a piece of 1" steel round stock in it for some forward weight. The added mass should help reduce recoil and since the weight is out front, should help reduce muzzle flip as well.

It wouldn't be ideal for working on holster draw or such but it should help you get in some basic training trigger time without worrying about fighting the flinch.

That one is out of stock. You gotta be careful with those short, little rails. Lots of holders won't fit them.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by safariman
Us rifemen tend to focus on our target, which works great with a scoped rifle or a peep sighted rifle.

What!!!!???? Maybe you mean us shotgunners? A Rifleman knows to focus on his front sight, or his scope's reticle.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Although now they are thick enough that my thumb isnt long enough to hit the slide release without changing my grip. Seems I could hit the release with the old grips. Gotta look into options.

The thickness of the grip shouldn't matter for thumb 'reach' on a 1911 - nothing is added to the back strap. What might be happening is the finger grooves are forcing your hand into the wrong position. That happens to me with all types of finger grooves. Before you wrap your fingers around the grip force the pistol down into the web of your hand to the point of almost uncomfortable. Align the bore axis parallel to your forearm and then tighten your grip. That's the proper hold, so if your fingers don't reach the controls properly you should get an idea of what needs to be adjusted on the pistol. A firm grip will be required.

The reach can be varied using some combination of an arched main spring housing, different trigger lengths, and a thumb safety with the control surface moved forward/rearward. Other factors come into play as well - I'm 6'-4", but I use a short trigger on a carry 1911 to make it more winter glove friendly.

As TAK said, the cure for a flinch is the 'surprise break'. Press the trigger slowly while focusing on the front sight and be surprised when the trigger breaks and the pistol fires. No matter what, small 1911's are tough to shoot well. My own performance drops off so much with a Micro/Officer size 1911 that I don't own one. A Commander-size is as small as I will go (or a CCO with a mag funnel).

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Getting ready to go out an shoot again. I will try holding it like you suggested. Lotsa good info pops up in threads like these.

What I was meaning about the grips is that they are thick enough that they hold my thumb outside the line that the slide release is in.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like you have the MI Garand Thumb

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd suggest not so much shooting for a guy fighting a flinch. That and rest well between sessions. When I get to where my shooting falls off much, I take a five minute break. If it ever doesn't recover to my usual level, I'm done for the day. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd suggest putting down the chopped .45 and picking up a .22lr for a while. A long while.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember the day the light bulb finally came on for me as a shooter. I'd already been shooting a fairly long time and was a pretty decent shot. But, when I finally connected all the dots with regard to trigger manipulation, it was a whole new ball game.

Handgunning 101 can be a difficult thing to convey with the written word but it's really pretty simple:

Align the sights: Front sight in the rear notch .... equal height - equal light. The smaller or farther the target is the more focus you gotta have on the front sight.

Learn to embrace your "wobble": It's impossible and totally unnecessary to keep the gun perfectly still.

Press the trigger without messing up the alignment: Don't worry about movement of the gun - just the alignment of the sights. Almost everyone overworks the sights and under works the trigger. Most people can hold a handgun twice as steady as they need to but can�t pull the trigger correctly. It�s all about the trigger.

Let the gun fire - don't make the gun fire: If you know the exact moment the gun is going to fire - you will flinch. Almost everyone flinches. The key is to flinch late - when it has no impact on bullet flight.

Lastly .... try riding the thumb safety with your shooting hand thumb.

Last edited by 41magfan; 10/27/11.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan

Learn to embrace your "wobble": It's impossible and totally unnecessary to keep the gun perfectly still.

Press the trigger without messing up the alignment: Don't worry about movement of the gun - just the alignment of the sights. Almost everyone overworks the sights and under works the trigger. Most people can hold a handgun twice as steady as they need to but can�t pull the trigger correctly. It�s all about the trigger.

Let the gun fire - don't make the gun fire:

Trainer Randy Cain, after he ensures a flinching pupil understands the proper sight picture and front sight focus, will have the student hold his gun, and have another student slowly press the other guys' trigger to the rear. This always results in a vastly improved shot group, and said student doesn't argue anymore that he's flinching.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think this has been mentioned, but if you aren't already you might want to use both good earplugs and muffs. Might help, might not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I'd suggest putting down the chopped .45 and picking up a .22lr for a while...

This... and focusing on the basic fundamentals again and things will return to normal soon.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Trainer Randy Cain, after he ensures a flinching pupil understands the proper sight picture and front sight focus, will have the student hold his gun, and have another student slowly press the other guys' trigger to the rear. This always results in a vastly improved shot group, and said student doesn't argue anymore that he's flinching.
Yep, I've been doing that with students for years; works very well. But that "I don't flinch" thing always comes from men (at least I've never heard that from a woman). When you encounter this you have to let them down easy, because they have a fragile ego. So I'll typically inform them that most eveyone, regardless of shooting level battles the "flinch"/trigger control issue with varying degrees. Often I'll shoot a quick group thats' not very impressive, but better than what they were shooting. And THEN do the, they hold and someone else pulls the trigger thing. Then they'll see that group will be MUCH smaller than what they were shooting. Smaller than what I (the supposed "expert") shot. 99% of the time, the light bulb switches on at that point. Now I coach him through each individual shot, very similar to how you described on another thread. Front sight, let your breath out, easy slow squeeze; SURPRISE, it went off.

Oh, and I also learned the hard way ('cause I'm a dork) that you really want to stand on the other side of the ejection port if you're the trigger guy.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RufusG
I don't think this has been mentioned, but if you aren't already you might want to use both good earplugs and muffs. Might help, might not.

Excellent point, especially if you are standing under a covered area like many ranges have.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Oh, and I also learned the hard way ('cause I'm a dork) that you really want to stand on the other side of the ejection port if you're the trigger guy.

Espcially true when firing one of Lee24's jet force-operated G20's. A guy could put an eye out.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.