Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Welcome back, JOG. You were missed. I always enjoy your posts, like the one above, and often learn something useful. E

Thanks, E. I've been enjoying the heck out of your elk hunt thread.

After reading through this thread I came to the realization that what I really need from a personal protection handgun is the characteristic of being fun to fire and practice with. That's no doubt why I gravitate toward quality 1911's, Hi-Powers, and K-frames.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Foremost, accuracy and dependability come to mind for me. That being said, I have an addiction to the Glock pistols and the .357 SIG cartridge as both seem to encompass said qualities.

I'm not sure that there's anything more dependable than a Glock. They're butt ugly and (to me) at first they feel funny in the hand but I got over that quickly. In many thousands of rounds fired the only failures I've had were directly attribuatable to the weakest link in the system...myself, the shooter. For a carry piece I settled on the 32, small, light, and runs a powerful cartridge.

The .357 SIG shoots accurate, flat and hits hard and that's enough for me. I did find, however, that it was necessary to load Hornady XTP's to get any expansion. The Sierras seem to be a little bit hard and zipped right thru a pronghorn's chest like knitting needles on one occasion a couple years back.

I cannot light matches, hit asprin, or take the caps off bottles at fiffty yards with my 32. Can't do it at 25 yards either but this kind of accuracy is not what a defensive handgun is all about.

Si vis pacem para bellum
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
On the Hi Power note, I would love to have one of the shortened Hi Powers, for example from Cylinder and Slide, but my wallet is a bit thin for that.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
what i really need from a personal protection handgun is cheap practice ammo.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A suppressor would be nice. grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joatmon
Foremost, accuracy and dependability come to mind for me. That being said, I have an addiction to the Glock pistols and the .357 SIG cartridge as both seem to encompass said qualities.

I'm not sure that there's anything more dependable than a Glock. They're butt ugly and (to me) at first they feel funny in the hand but I got over that quickly. In many thousands of rounds fired the only failures I've had were directly attribuatable to the weakest link in the system...myself, the shooter. For a carry piece I settled on the 32, small, light, and runs a powerful cartridge.

The .357 SIG shoots accurate, flat and hits hard and that's enough for me. I did find, however, that it was necessary to load Hornady XTP's to get any expansion. The Sierras seem to be a little bit hard and zipped right thru a pronghorn's chest like knitting needles on one occasion a couple years back.

I cannot light matches, hit asprin, or take the caps off bottles at fiffty yards with my 32. Can't do it at 25 yards either but this kind of accuracy is not what a defensive handgun is all about.

The G32/357Sig is a good combo. The TN. Highway Patrol went to that combo from 40S&W years ago. This due to better results against hard targets such as auto bodies & auto glass, then 40S&W.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duckster
On the Hi Power note, I would love to have one of the shortened Hi Powers, for example from Cylinder and Slide, but my wallet is a bit thin for that.
The Argentine firm of FM made an inexpensive version called the "Detective"; which can be had for around $400.00 when you find them.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For my daily carry and home defense my S&W 1911PD fits the role very nice. If I were going to war in the Middle East, honestly I�d give very serious consideration to a Glock, since they�re in abundance in the Middle East (parts), and they work well with NATO pressure 9mm. I honestly have nothing against the M9 provided it�s one of the newer ones with factory magazines.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by duckster
The Argentine firm of FM made an inexpensive version called the "Detective"; which can be had for around $400.00 when you find them.

I have a complete Detective Top End conversion unit for BHP availble. I just picked it up this weekend. Its never been on a gun yet has the original package (package not in good shape) and the manual. Contact me if interested. They are a cool unit.

James Dunn

[email protected]
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.