Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
$720.00
Series '80. MKIV. Gold Cup National Match.

What does Marlin on the end of the Mag mean?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice!

The magazine probably came from a Marlin Camp 45 carbine. The Marlin carbine uses the same mag as a 1911.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice score

WildlovethemgoldcupsAlaska ��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great pistol , maybe not the original magazine. I would buy some Wilson Mag's anyway.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very nice...and $720 is a steal...

If you are looking for an original magazine you'll need to find one that has the Pony on the left, COLT in the Middle, a small "M" in the upper right corner and a "S" in the lower left corner...

You'll also need a checked set of grips with a gold Colt medallion in each panel...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Can you tell from the pic if that is a stock trigger?

I bought it from a friend. I dont know anything about Colt or anything about 45's. I just felt like it was a good deal on a good gun.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
trigger looks to be stock for the GC

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Assuming that is Nickel finish?

How do I determine date of manufacture?

Sorry for newbie questions...I've not had time to sit and research today.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Stainless steel, not nickel...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What a great shooter. A little dry so did not feed right til I put some oil on it. Tight groups. Better than my BHP 40. Now I know why people like these guns and why they command the price.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175
I would buy some Wilson Mag's anyway.
Wilson mags encourage reliable function but at the cost of encouraging improper feeding such that the extractor is forced on the last round to snap over the cartridge rim (thus stressing the extractor) instead of the cartridge being guided forward under control of the extractor's engagement of the cartridge rim. If you're not having a reliability issue, best to stick with traditional seven round mag designs (with a dimpled follower). If you are having a reliability issue with a traditional seven round magazine design, the best course is to discover the cause of it and fix it, rather than switching to an unconventional mag design like a Wilson, and thus over stress your extractor on the last round of every mag full.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You did good on that one. Nice trigger isn't it?

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used Wilson Magazines exclusivity for years and never had a problem with a extractor or feeding. I will use nothing but Wilson's in my 1911's

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have used Wilson Magazines exclusivity for years and never had a problem with a extractor or feeding. I will use nothing but Wilson's in my 1911's
I've had an extractor hook snap off after years of using Wilson mags. All of my 1911s now use traditional seven round mags with correct followers, and all are 100% reliable with same.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I was hoping to see a New Service....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've had an extractor hook snap off after years of using Wilson mags. All of my 1911s now use traditional seven round mags with correct followers, and all are 100% reliable with same.

I have and have used Wilson mags for many years and I am not a fan of them. The "plastic" follower will wear quickly and not lock the slide back one the last round is particularly annoying to me.

I much prefer McCormick mags

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
$720.00
Series '80. MKIV. Gold Cup National Match.

[Linked Image]

bankcardrep1,
...you got a wonderful deal on a wonderful handgun. One word of suggestion. In your pic, if you look at the top of the slide just in front (muzzle side) of the rear sight, you see a short roll-pin that holds the rear sight to the slide. If you shoot the gun much with hardball or full (major caliber) ammo, that pin WILL shear off and the rear sight will probably come flying off of the slide. In the early IPSC days, the best replacement that we found was a solid used dentists drill bit--I don't remember the size, sorry---LOTS and LOTS of shooters lost their rear sights early on by shooting copious amounts of heavy ammo. YMMV.

Last edited by gmoats; 10/31/11.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, the Marlin Camp .45 magazines were made by Mec-Gar, which means it�s a quality magazine. For spares, my new favorite is the new ACT-MAG magazines. They are excellent quality, easily disassembled for cleaning and don�t have that blasted plastic follower that the Wilson magazines have. I know most really love the Wilson magazines, but I�ve found them to be less than desirable. Get them dirty and grit and crap seems to imbed into the plastic followers and bind the magazine up. I�ve never had such problems with magazines that have steel followers. I have a good stack of the Chip McCormick (CMC - formerly Shooting Star) magazines, they are truly excellent. The good news is, excellent magazines for the 1911 abound and they don�t have to cost you an arm and a leg.

Not only that, when you buy the Blue ACT-MAG, they have the most beautiful finish: http://act-mag.com/index.php/id-1911-mags.html

Last edited by KevinGibson; 10/31/11. Reason: Spelling error
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will order a couple of the Chip McCormick mags and try them .

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're set on McCormick go with the new Power+ style. Their old style mags use a Devel-type follower that can be tough on alloy frames. The point of the follower is unsupported and can be pushed forward by the slide and ding the feed ramp.

No biggie on a steel frame, but since many of us use the same mags in a variety of pistols it's something to consider.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.