Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's the story? I don't want to scare off any posters with a big number right off the bat so I will post my count blush and story after a few posts.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hell i dont care, ill go. when i was 18 i fired 4 shots from my 7600 in 35 whelen before i had it cut down to carbine length. i cant remember why but three nice does come crankin down the mountain at about 130yds out through some mixed hardwoods and jack pines. i killed the lead doe. 133 pounds. that was w/ a williams reciver sight at the time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
4 for me. I had a buck come out of the woods about 175 yards and turn broadside. I fired once and he turned towards and walked to about 125 yards and stoped quartering towards me. I fired again, nothing. He again walked towards me, stopping at about 100 yards again quartering. 3rd shot and no responce. Again walked towards me stopping broadside again. Finally at the 4th shot he kicked his hind legs, took two jumps and fell over. During field dressing only one bullet hole was found.
Upon returning home I went to the range and fired a 3/4" group at 100 yards right where it was suposed to be. I have no Idea what went wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty sure 2 is the most. Maybe 3 if you count a finisher shot.

Now you want to talk coyotes...

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Five rounds for one mulie.

I was in Montana and a buck with a tall rack was running away from me across a saddle. As he was climbing the other side my first shot wounded him and turned him, he quit climbing. He was probably about 350 yards and he would hang out in some clumps of cover then run horizontally across the hillside while I took shots guessing for hold over and lead. I couldn't tell where I was hitting because there was about 10" of snow cover and no dust. We repeated this series a few times of dashes between cover, I even reloaded. Then finally he stopped with his body turned down hill downhill. I aimed at the middle of his back and it dropped into his back at the base of neck and dropped him.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
4 for a nice 6 pt. .257 Roberts, 120 gr. Nosler Solid Base. 90 yds, Shot 1, deer takes off. Shot two, deer twitches, and humps up. Shot three der falls and flails around, shot four, aimed at head, deer stops moving. Post-mortem reveals two pencil sized holes through and through lungs, two broken ribe, no evidence of expansion, one graze on neck, and one hole below right eye with exit wound at rear of skull. No evidence of expansion anywhere, but the deer did have a highly variable inside spread.

3 for a previously wounded doe. Buckshot to the lungs, 2 .357 rounds to the neck. she was so full of adrenaline, she kept trying to get back up until the CNS hit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
742 remington,308,14 years old.
Running doe,50 yards,thick brush.
I think I comnnnected with 5.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Mine is much like Stray's. A couple of years ago we glassed a big mule deer, 185" class, go into a big sandy blowout around 11:00. We sat there for 1 1/2 hours watching that spot and he didn't come out, so obviously we felt he had bedded. We stalked to that spot and when I stuck my head over the sandhill I was 10 yards from him as he was laying under a big mesquite . I don't know who was more surprised, him or me. He got the heck out of dodge though and I missed him first at about 75 yards, and 4 more times from 100 out to 450. I never saw him again.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
3 counting the kill shot. I was shooting through some really thick under growth at a whitetail doe with a 243 encore. That was the first deer I had shot with a 243. I can only guess that I had some deflection problems. Since then I have killed 2 more deer with a 243. The second one dropped so quick I thought I had missed it & the third one ran about 50 or 60 yards & fell over dead. That experience has put me on the fence for the 243. I have decided that I will carry my 7-08 when I'm hunting in areas that are dense & use the 243 only in open areas.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Deer...2, including the (unecessary) one in the temple...when I miss, I tend to miss big. .30-06 and .270

Caribou...5. First one woulda killed it eventually, but he was taking too long for my liking. 7x57

Brown bear...also 5, including an up close and personal shot when he disagreed with me putting 3 of the first 4 into him. .338 Win

Black Bear...2, but they were 2 weeks apart (same bear; hit too high first time), bullet hole was almost healed when I got him the second time--dummy came back to the same bait.

Antelope...2, including a finisher on one I hit a little too far back. I've cleanly missed a couple of 'em that didn't stick around to give me another shot.

Last edited by ShootDogs; 10/28/11.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Seven for me. On one of my first Colorado elk/mule deer hunts, I had just climbed a pretty steep hillside and finally came to the crest. I was hot and sweaty and huffing and puffing and decided to take my pack and and belt off, that had my spare ammo in it and set it on the ground while I cooled off.

Meantime, I wandered over to the next overlook, approximately 40 yds away, an lo and behold there was my first legal Colorado mule deer buck at about 250 yds down in the next drainage.

At that time I was using a Browning A-bolt in 300 win mag with a BOSS. I had one in the chamber and 3 in the magazine. I wounded him with the first shot, but he got up and started running in circles. I emptied the magazine and he was was still running. I went to reach for my extra ammo...and realized that it was 40 yds away, back with my pack.

I went back, got the ammo, reloaded the A-bolt and ended up putting him down with the seventh (and last cartridge) that I had with me.

Lesson learned: Shoot straight and NEVER fire seven shots from a 300 win mag that is equipped with a BOSS without ear protection. My ears were ringing for a month! Needless to say, the A-bolt is history.

I still have the antlers on my wall and every time I, or one of my hunting partners, walk by we are always reminded of that story.

Strange, but true (and not proud of it).

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
5 and I missed everytime.

actually the first shot I connected and killed one, then I was going to shoot another one and shot 5 times as it stood around wondering what was happening. I had more ammo but decided to give up since I kept missing. So I was not destined to get two deer in one day.

Last edited by blammer; 10/28/11.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I didn't think anyone would come up to my number. But I bet all had just as much excitement. I have to go back almost fifty years to get to this story.

At age eighteen I purchased a bus ticket to travel from San Diego to Ellensburg, Washington. It was 1962. I was headed out for my first deer hunt. My new 3-9X Leupold was sighted in for 100 yards on the new Savage 110 with 180 grain Silvertips. I kept it in a soft case when not playing with it. Once on the bus I stuck the soft case under the seat for the twenty-four hour, twelve or thirteen hundred mile trip. No one seemed to notice I had a gun in the bus depot or carried it onto the buss. Sad what fifty years have done to our country. Upon arriving the thought of rechecking the zero never entered my mind.

The guide was a fellow whom I met in the fourth grade and was seated next to me. He past I didn�t. But we remained friends for these nearly sixty years. Before moving to Ellensburg his dad introduced me to shooting. I remember instinctively being afraid I would get kicked by the rifle he was going to have me fire. It was a .22 rimfire single shot. I loved it. Still do.

The second day there we went hunting. For the first few hours we didn�t see anything but beautiful country. I love the grass and sage covered hills. I don�t remember if he pointed them out or I saw them first. It was exciting! No more than two hundred yards away were two deer coming our way. In those days I did lots of offhand shooting. In fact that and sitting were all I ever did. I was excited but able to hold on the approaching deer�s sternum. I fired. There was no reaction so I jacked another cartridge in and fired it too. The .30-06 held five rounds. I repeated this till I heard a click and reloaded. The deer were still coming down the hill our way. Again I emptied the gun as they continued down the hill. I reloaded. The biggest one finally turned broadside facing to the right about fifty yards away. I held on the chest and fired again for number eleven. It dropped with a spine shot right in front of the back legs. The thought of a finisher shot felt very odd but was necessary. I never had to do that with the jack rabbits back home.

Back at the house we checked the zero. It was eighteen inches left and six inches high. I gave the Savage with the Leupold to my good buddy. He still has it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year when I purchased a new VX3 Leupold pistol scope for my new .260 Rem. MGM 17" Encore barrel for Minnesota deer hunting. The scope took more clicks for adjustment than it should have, and I didn't have time to shoot within 3 days of the season, I sighted in a week before. Those clicks finally caught up, causing me to miss an opening day buck with 3 shots, then I got 10 shots off at a buck with the Encore, the first shot broke off a tine, the next nine never touched anything. Sighted in dead-on with 130 gr. Bergers at 200 yds a week before, after the adjustments "caught up" I was 9" right and 18" high at 100 yds, thus explaining the broken tine I found at the sight of the first shot, as he was looking backward over his shoulder at a pair of does. So...10 shots, with a single shot TC Encore.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5 and it happened on my third deer. I had killed two deer the season before without one bit of a problem. The week before season opened I won a turkey at a local turkey shoot with my brand new 1954 M70 Winchester fwt with a 4x Lyman All American scope on it.

I was sitting in a tree watching a natural opening in the woods on the side of a hill. Here came a deer through the woods that I heard before I saw. I could hear back then.

Deer came to the edge of the opening and stuck his head out of the woods. All I could see was a big wide,high 8 head and about half of his neck. Body was behind a tree. About 80-90 yards away.

No problem I braced against a limb and aimed for the neck. At the shot nothing happend. That deer was supposed to be dead. I cranked another 130 grain Silver tip in and fired off another. Nothing happened. Deer gets annoyed and steps full into the opening. I started to shake like a hooche dancer with worms. At the next shot that damn deer turned around and trotted into the woods. I fired the next two shots somewhere in its general vacinity.

Never touched a hair. Man was I a sick puppy. When I shot the rifle next day I found out that sometime between me winning a turkey and shooting at that big 8 the rifle was shooting four inches high. Reset the cross hairs and that scope never varied again until I retired it fifteen years or so later.

I will always claim that somebody jacked with my scope during the turkey shoot to keep me from winning another turkey. I also never had buck fever again.

Quando Omni Moritati
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Double tap.

Not sure I've ever fird more than 2 and many times 2 wasn't necessary.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am so good I club the deer to death with my rifle. grin

In fact ingwe has zero shots as well. All of his deer die of laughter when they see him sneaking up on them in a leopard print thong. eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a youngster about 8 years old, I emptied my Winchester 94 30-30 shooting at a deer. Probably would have got him if I pulled the trigger. Yep, Buck Fever, I jacked all the rounds out without ever pulling the trigger. Don't tell anyone. Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

In fact ingwe has zero shots as well. All of his deer die of laughter when they see him sneaking up on them in a leopard print thong. eek

That's true, and it proves that only the little deer have a sense of humor, because you never see him with a big dead deer...

grin

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.