<br>Class One (30cal & under)
<br>
<br>Bill in Neb, great shooting Bill.
<br>He wins the Poatal Cup and the
<br>Ivory Carving donated by Suluuq.
<br>
<br>Class Two (Over 30 Cal)
<br>
<br>Memtb, fine shooting with the big iron.
<br>He wins the other Poatal Cup and the
<br>Home grown whole ham donated by
<br>Bill in Neb.
<br>
<br>An honorable mention goes out to our
<br>own Miss.Badgerette for being the highest scoring female and she wins 2 big jugs of Bear Scents
<br>Attractant,a $50.00 value donated by Silver Bullet.
<br>
<br>Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all who participated in this match. I think it was an eye opener and a reality check to really see what you can do under pressure.
<br>
<br>A special thanks to Rabid for all the help. I very much appreciate it!

James
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cogratulations to the winners and all who participated!
<br>
<br>A huge thanks to the donors of prizes and especially to James for doing the hard part in the scoring process....
<br>
<br>Thanks to Rick for providing this very valuable place for us.
<br>
<br>An honorable mention to JJ for naming the matches for eternity[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
littlebit:
<br>First I'd like to thank you for having put on this "Poatal" cup match. Also, I'd like to congratulate Bill from Neb. on his "second" Poatal match win!!!!
<br>
<br>Also, thanks to Bill from Neb. & Suluug for the prize donations!
<br>
<br>I'd also like to thank my sponsors.........my manager...........OH WAIT, THAT WAS ANOTHER SPEECH.........
<br>
<br>Seriously, this was a lot of fun. I love competition and it is an honor to be the recepient of the first "Poatal" cup.
<br>
<br>On another serious note, I think some of the credit should go to JJ and some of the other 24 Hour members who, a couple of years ago, talked of the benefits of doing a lot of shooting with a .22 rimfire (example - Model 77/22 Ruger) using various hunting positions. For many years I had been doing primarily bench work and my hunting position shooting skills had certainly suffered because of it. My wife and I have been doing quite a bit of off hand shooting over the last year and our off hand shooting has shown the benefit of practice.
<br>
<br>It is also worth noting the importance of not only shooting a rifle that you are intimately familiar with but also one that fits you properly. My example being: I tried to compete in the 30 & under caliber class and could not keep all the shots on the paper. The rifle I used was a rifle that I have not hunted with or shot since the late 70's. The rifle has a terrible trigger pull, stock does not fit comfortably and last but not least, it has the old see thru scope bases which were popular in the Deep South in the 60's & 70's. To use the see thru bases, I had to take my cheek off the stock for proper scope alignment and this really hindered keeping my shots accurate and inside the allotted time.
<br>
<br>Thanks again, it was a hoot!!! - memtb
<br>

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Littlebit and everyone, thanks for running the match and giving us the opportunity to have some fun. Like memtb, I really do believe that I am becoming a better shot since walking away from the bench and practicing more or less shooting from field positions. I certainly was made aware of my limitations with this course of fire. A real eye opener for me.
<br>(re: my 416 Rigby targets) [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Regarding my attempts with the 308, I think that it would be most fitting if we remembered the saying:
<br>"Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while"
<br>I was fortunate enough to have found an acorn.
<br>
<br>When I hear the story of how someone places their bullet "just so" on an animal while out hunting, or if they can't, they don't take the shot; it makes me wonder how fine and controlled of a shot they must be, and how much more I need to learn.
<br>
<br>Anyway, I want to thank everyone who had a hand in the putting on of this match, I appreciate it very much.
<br>
<br>Bill in NE
<br>jhf4bill@aol.com
<br>
<br>ps. memtb, contact me about shipping the squealer out to wherever it is that you live, OK?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

<br>I won't post everyone's finish but thought I would mention the top three in each class;
<br>
<br>Class One (30cal&under)
<br>
<br>1st - Bill in NE
<br>2nd-Gene Williams
<br>3rd-AFP
<br>
<br>Class Two (Over 30cal)
<br>
<br>1st - Memtb
<br>2nd- Gene Williams
<br>3rd- Bill in NE
<br>
<br>Maybe we would all be better off to forget about the bench and get out and start shooting from field positions. Seems to have helped these fellers.
<br>
<br>Be sure to post some pics of you with your Poatal Cups when you get them from RickBin.

James
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Littlebit & Rabid,
<br>
<br>Miss Badgerette doesn't know about it yet [Linked Image]. She is out of town with the church youth group but will be back tomorrow (Sunday). To plagiarise another Campfire regular, this is Father Puffed Chest [Linked Image]. badger.
<br>
<br>PS: Thanks to Silver Bullet for the donated prize.

Last edited by badger; 03/23/02.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congratulations to all that shot and to the winners.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She did a great job....
<br>
<br>I'm glad She's so interested in a great sport.
<br>
<br>mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations to the winners!! I think all who put forth the effort to shoot, send in honest targets, should receive some sort of recognition. Before the next Poatal Match what you say all regulars donate something so everyone that shoots get's something. I believe participation would increase tremeundously especially with spring and summer just around the corner. I still have the list of regulars except for the new guys that have came over recently, to keep hot shots from jumping in from other boards just for the match. Ole Dead Eye up there in Nebraska should be a judge,(LOL), to keep him from competeing. If everyone chipped in a couple of bucks perhaps Rick could get something made just for contestants with Poatal Match and year inscribed. What you think? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting guys, I'm glad you are realizing the benifits of real practice over the bench. The bench is mandatory to verify equipment function. However after that it's a waste of time. The .22 rimfire or using a good qualtiy Air rifle for practice is a huge benifit to trigger control and field accuracy.
<br>
<br>Take good care of the Poatal trophies. They are likely the only ones in the world!jj

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sonnie, so now you want to put me out to pasture, with Jim in Idaho????
<br>
<br>Well, at least I'd be in good company! [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck, I know quality when I see it,(read it), you guys are good. Who wants to shoot against that kind of competition?
<br>Is it true you shoot off the back porch every morning?:-) Bet you shoot pecans out of crows beaks flying across your pasture, just like Boggy. --- I haven't shot yet but when I do, it's like, "The Weakest Link", eliminate the competition before you have to face it. Hmmm, --- who else needs to be a judge? Say, how about the overall winner is automaticly a judge to join past winners, two or three judge panel? -- no
<br>
<br>That ought to take some of the heat off us pore boys in the South. You guys up north just freeze in position and repeat.

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two official POATAL CUPS in my hot little hands ready for transport to the wein ... I mean winners.
<br>
<br>Please send me snail mail addys via email or Private Messages, folks.
<br>
<br>OH, since I'll likely NEVER have these in my possession again (especially since I didn't SHOOT THE MATCH (sheesh, I feel dumb) ) I'm going to take a picture of the cups and post it for all to see.
<br>
<br>Addy's please.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations to the winners! Coming in second in each catagory don't sound bad until I consider that - as far as I can tell - there were 4 of us guys and one gal that sent in targets.That means I beat one of the guys each time and the gal twice while I got beat both times.I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to Miss Badgerette for shooting on what was probably a bad hair day for her and thus holding me up off the bottom!
<br>
<br>Seriously,it was fun and y'all ought to all jump in next time.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Gene-It also means that you must be a pretty fair shot with both large and small bore. Congrats to all of you!

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
James,
<br>
<br>How many of us sent in targets?
<br>
<br>Next year, I'll be ready. I'll get to practice and have loads worked up for rifles in both classes. It would be nice to have a similar format for next year. Maybe we could add an "any rest" class at 400 yds?
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

<br>Blaine,
<br>
<br>I don't have the figures in front of me but I think there was 12 who did well enough to send in targets for Class One and 5 or 6 in the Class Two.
<br>
<br>I thought the format was very practical and fun,as well.
<br>
<br>Maybe someone will step up and volunteer to host the next "Poatal Match". I have a spot on the Mantle picked out for the "Cup".[Linked Image]

James

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.