Print Thread
Hop To
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Anybody using one of these? Im not to sure what 'side focus' means, anyone care to explain?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are well made scopes...good glass...good turrets, but heavy and not much elevation.

Side focus is an alternate term for Parallax Adjustment.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks Topcat, im no optics guru, what's the significance of parrallax adjustment?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
podunkkennels,
Thanks Topcat, im no optics guru, what's the significance of parrallax adjustment?

Since Topcat is not answering, I will chime in.

When you move your eye from side to side or up and down you will see the crosshair move when the paralax is set different from the distance you are looking. I saw severe paralax in a Pentax Game Seeker and returned it. Now I wont purchase anything without A.O. or S.F.

If you have side focus or adjustable objective you can set if for the distance you are sighting and the crosshair will not move. Everything I have except the Leupold 2 1/2-8X32 on my .454 has either S.D. or A.O. When I go hunting I set magnification on the lowest setting and the S.F. or A.O. on about 150 and forget it. That is unless I find something way out there. Then I have all the time in the world to play with my toys and set the paralax to the range the other toy (Leica 1200) told me it is. After all there is more to hunting than killing something or meat in the freezer.

Here's a little addendum.

On opening day of deer season I found some deer about a quater mile away in the binoculars. Nearby was a downed tree so I laid the rifle out on it and got into shooting a stable position. Very stable. I turned the magnification up to about 10X on the Bushnell 4200 4-16X40. I couldn'tmake out any bucks so I turned it up all the way. One had a big fork on one side and a small fork on the other side. There was no way for me to make out the antlers with an 8X binocular or even with the very nice scope set on 10X. I had time to adjust the A.O. to the distance to make sure the crosshair did not move just because I wasn't looking through the scope correctly. There is a real world value for a vriable scope.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks Ringman, that makes sense.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the scope's lenses are fixed inside a tube...the lens in your eye is not, so it can be in a different position every time you look through your scope.

Parallax is the term that describes how the crosshairs appear to move on the target because of head movements causing aiming errors.

The Side Focus knob allows you to "tune out" the aiming errors by setting the scope to the exact distance from the target...then your eye position relative to the scope doesn't affect your aim, so groups can be smaller.

When the Parallax is set correctly to the exact distance of the target, the image is also clearer, so "Side Focus" is more or less an accurate description.

All scopes have some Parallax, and the higher the magnification, the greater the error, so having the ability to fine tune the scope is a more important feature to have for scopes over 10x.

The basic marksmanship training concept of developing a solid cheek weld will help to minimize Parallax effects when your scope itself isn't adjustable.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks OT, I think the 2-10 fits my ticket a little better, 3-15 is way too heavy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.