Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My apologies if this has been posted before; my Campfire search skills are lacking....

Has anyone had a chance to try one of these out yet? A friend purchased the "Gold Cup" model last Saturday but hasn't had time to shoot it yet. He says the weight and dimensions come very close to his Gold Cup 45. Paid $399 for his, which sounds like a good price if the pistol proves itself well.

Link to Colt's website:

Colt's new .22LR 1911

Made by Walther for Colt. Not sure exactly what is the business arrangement.

Write-ups thus far sound promising. From one article:

"Umarex USA informed us that the following parts are standard 1911 and can be interchanged with parts for any 1911: thumb safety; grip safety; disconnector; hammer and strut; sear; mainspring housing (and internal parts); sear spring; grips and grip screws; magazine catch; trigger; and hammer, sear and mainspring housing retainer pins."

"More importantly, it shoots like a dream and produces excellent accuracy, seemingly with almost any ammunition. The range portion of this evaluation was nothing other than pure enjoyment. With many tests, it's a struggle to produce test groups that are representative of what we believe (sometimes for no good reason) to be the pistol's potential. That was not the case with the Colt/Umarex Government 1911 .22LR. The lack of recoil when shooting an all-metal 1911 in .22LR certainly helped with that, but poor accuracy and having to fight the gun so as not to feel that we weren't being "fair" to it can take all the fun out of a day on the firing line. The results with this pistol were, in fact, deceptive. While shooting, I had the distinct impression that the accuracy with the Federal ammunition was significantly worse than any of the others. In my head, I was already composing a paragraph to remind readers that .22 firearms are traditionally regarded as "picky" about ammunition, and I was all set to write that this pistol simply didn't like the Federal load.

Then I got the targets home, discarded the flier out of each group, and measured. The results surprised me; the actual tally for the Federal was not nearly as bad as I had thought. And I felt that the accuracy at 75-feet was as good as or better than any other .22 semi-automatic handgun I have shot. And this was a brand new pistol, being fired straight out of the box, with no preliminary lubrication and no "tuning.""

Link to the above:

ezine.m1911.org

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A friend bought one a couple weeks ago and can't quit talking about how great it is. His says Gold Cup on it, all others I've seen just say Colt. If it's made by Walther, I'd say it would be a nice peice.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I picked one up today and will try it out this weekend. The only one the LGS had was a rail gun, but I suppose I can live with that. It is good to know that so many parts can be interchanged with other 1911 pistols. I suppose that means that most of the parts in the receiver can be removed the same way as with other 1911's. I did not notice in my quick look through the manual whether that was mentioned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The fixed barrel to slide configuration is key. Most accurate 1911 conversion I owned was the Marvel which used a screw in guide rod to secure barrel.

2 lbs. plus can be overlooked if it is as accurate as advertised.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I ran 2 boxes of ammo through her this weekend and had no problems as long as I did not hold my thumb against the slide. I am very pleased.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,241
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.