-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and to think i was gonna hack into the power grid and build one in my basement.....how bout if i dial the power back and promise not to boil the fabric of space?.....im just gonna [bleep] with the fabric of space a lil.....i wanna see what happens when yah shoot it at a gopher.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
i wanna see what happens when yah shoot it at a gopher.....

Sort of a super-duper 22-250 cal VMax on steroids, like.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thinking i can hit 6 ft to the right and still get him.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wondering if the results are as bad as dividing by 0?

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Probably worse...

Can you imagine the size of the capacitors they will be using to hold that charge? What happens if one of them lets go?

Can you say "The Worlds' Largest Electric Bomb?" I knew you could! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Probably worse...

Can you imagine the size of the capacitors they will be using to hold that charge? What happens if one of them lets go?

Can you say "The Worlds' Largest Electric Bomb?" I knew you could! laugh

Ed

always wanted to be the first on my block to level a block......or three.....

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good point. Just to be safe use a big pile of 10pF caps.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
One of these days, we're going to pick a lock, open a door... and REALLY not like what we find on the other side.

Nearly happened in the States about twenty years ago when there was an outbreak of what was thought to be Ebola in [bleep] at a lab outside Washington..

Turned out not to be Ebola but a very similar virus that infected [bleep] but not humans..The US came very close to a major catastrophe as the authorities didn't think they would be able to control the outbreak once it got into the human population..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve
Good point. Just to be safe use a big pile of 10pF caps.

One of my BIL's used to work "pulsed power" projects for General Dynamics (military lasers) and currently (pun intended) holds the record for building the worlds' largest electric bomb. The capacitor they were testing, roughly twice the physical size of a 55 gal drum (he declined to give the capacity laugh ), malfunctioned and destroyed the test chamber which was constructed of 6" thick reinforced concrete slabs, collapsing the roof, and blowing the walls out.

They successfully created the capacitors needed for the project and he has since moved on to other pulsed power projects for other companies.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 11/01/11.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
One of these days, we're going to pick a lock, open a door... and REALLY not like what we find on the other side.

Nearly happened in the States about twenty years ago when there was an outbreak of what was thought to be Ebola in [bleep] at a lab outside Washington..

Turned out not to be Ebola but a very similar virus that infected [bleep] but not humans..The US came very close to a major catastrophe as the authorities didn't think they would be able to control the outbreak once it got into the human population..

that is an interesting story, scary chit....

ebola's a SOB but its not a nation wide killer.....time lag from initial infection to dead is to damn quick.....give a bug like ebola the flus life cycle and......well....we would prolly be begging for bothe the Spanish flu and Black Death to hit us at the same time instead....a zombie apocalypse would sound down right fun in comparison.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler

that is an interesting story, scary chit....

ebola's a SOB but its not a nation wide killer.....time lag from initial infection to dead is to damn quick.....give a bug like ebola the flus life cycle and......well....we would prolly be begging for bothe the Spanish flu and Black Death to hit us at the same time instead....a zombie apocalypse would sound down right fun in comparison.....

Google "The Hot Zone" which is a book about the incident and IIRC the virus in question was about as contagious as flu, but luckily could not infect humans..

In another incident, a few years back a lab in the UK was shut down and a researcher got into a lot of trouble when it was discovered he was trying "cross" a form of cancer and a virus which causes the common cold..I don't recall the exact details, but I think it was a GM type experiment, but the problem was that it was being carried out in a lab with a very low bio security level. Quite why he was doing it or what he hope to achieve, I don't recall...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have read it.....with ebola is pretty contagious in some ways more so than the flu but its life cycle is so short and its lethality rate so high.....an entire ebola epidemic is measured in weeks.....from a similar starting population a bad flu bug will bounce around the globe for two years or more because its incubation period is much longer.....

in the scheme of things cause ebola is such a quick killer its actually fairly easy to contain....

got a good buddy thats a microbiologist and studies chit he cant talk to me about, ask him what he worries about and he wont tell yah some exotic disease like ebola even factoring an accident like happened at that [bleep] research facility....its something like the Spanish Flu.....its got the right life cycle to slingshot around for a long time ensuring that damn near everyone gets exposed.....

ebola has a higher lethality rate, usually well over 70% infected die.....but a 70% lethality isnt much when yah measure the amount of ppl exposed in the hundreds or thousands.....a 3%(low end figure on the spanish flu) mortality rate dont sound like much till you figure the flu lives long enough to get exposed to billions....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sometimes wonder about this kind of stuff. With the universe being so vast there has to be other intelligent life. I wonder if it is typical for technology to advance at a rate that the typical race wipes itself out most of the time by messing with chit they don't comprehend.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hopefully they will not push the earth off of its orbit. The recoil from a laser that size should be astonomical.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crosshair
I sometimes wonder about this kind of stuff. With the universe being so vast there has to be other intelligent life. I wonder if it is typical for technology to advance at a rate that the typical race wipes itself out most of the time by messing with chit they don't comprehend.

Th Darwin effect on a galactic scale?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quote-
Dr Thomas Heinzl, an associate professor of theoretical physics at Plymouth University, said: "ELI is going to take us into an uncharted regime of physics. There could well be some surprises along the way."
-End Quote

Did you ever wonder why so many galaxies contain large black holes? Might be nature's Darwin Award for those who poke around with the fabric of space time.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sounds like a severe case of over penetration.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DayPacker
Hopefully they will not push the earth off of its orbit. The recoil from a laser that size should be astonomical.

omg! if the shot is made from the wrong direction, the earthen might stop it's traditional spin? and if it stops spinning, it might fall over on it's side and go wobbling through the heavens, before stopping at the edge of a great abyss??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know, when they detonated the first atom bomb they had no way of knowing that the reaction would stop. Speculation was that it could have gone on until the earth was consumed.

When they detonated the hydrogen bomb one of the scientists said that for a few moments he thought they lit the atmosphere on fire.

Who know when they could be right. They only have to be right one time.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
n another incident, a few years back a lab in the UK was shut down and a researcher got into a lot of trouble when it was discovered he was trying "cross" a form of cancer and a virus which causes the common cold..I don't recall the exact details, but I think it was a GM type experiment, but the problem was that it was being carried out in a lab with a very low bio security level. Quite why he was doing it or what he hope to achieve, I don't recall...

It should come as no surprise.... Obviously it's to increase food production.

It's for the children.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,853
Posts18,517,617
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.