Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iblong Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
My wife wants to deer hunt this year,we live in a slug only zone.She is some what recoil sensative,the only shot gun she likes to shoot is a 410 and I feel its to light for anything
but 25yds.I have the chance to pick up a Rem 1100 auto in nice shape
for 300.00,to my way of thinking with a 2-3/4 slug this is as light a recoil as I'll get.Anyone have a better option.
Thanks, Bob.

Last edited by iblong; 11/01/11.
GB1

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
You shouldn't have any problem. IMHO recoil sensitivity can be a mind over matter thing; to a certain degree. Seen tons of deer whacked with a 20 ga. too.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If I was a slug hunter, I'd be using the 20ga myself. Unless she insists on the .410 I'd skip it. If she does use it, it's probably best to keep it to bow hunting range on the shots.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 3 pards shooting the Remington 1100 LT in 20 gauge, all 3 shoot the Remington 20 gauge "Accu-tip 20 gauge slug ammo.

The accu-tip slug ammo is scary accurate in all 3 slug guns and really puts the deer DOWN.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iblong
I have the chance to pick up a Rem 1100 auto in nice shape
for 300.00,to my way of thinking with a 2-3/4 slug this is as light a recoil as I'll get.Anyone have a better option.
Thanks, Bob.

Bob,
That's exactly how I'd role in this situation.
A friend's wife is one of the most petite gals I've ever met -
she handles the 1100 like a dream and recoil is not a problem.

If she's not used to an auto, I might advise she not lean against a tree (when shooting) with the ejection port side to the tree. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine bought a Savage bolt-action 20g for deer hunting this year. After mounting a scope on it and sighting it in, I am impressed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will have absoultely NO problem putting a deer DRT with a 20 gauge.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My wife shot her first deer with a Rem 1187 20 ga auto in '09.

That was with the standard barrel and an imp cyl choke.

I really want to get a fully rifled barrel for that gun.

As far as recoil goes its like with any slug gun. They kick when shooting at a target. They don't kick when shooting at a deer.

smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is a .410 legal in MN? I do not believe it is legal down here. Might want to do a quick check before going down that road.

Frankly, a good muzzleloader might be a better set up for her with respect to carrying and range. Just another idea anyway.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
I
iblong Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
The 410 was banned for a long time but now its legal again,but It
dose not change the fact that its prety darned marginal.
Thanks for the replies guys,I had not thought of black powder that would be an option.Its been years since I hunted with one.
But unless I am sitting with her I dought she would be inclined
to load it herself if a second shot was needed.Shes interested but I do want to keep it simple,But I probabally will hunt with her this season and just guide her through it.Id really like to see her fill her first tag.It would be as fun as taking one myself.

Last edited by iblong; 11/01/11.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BrentD
Is a .410 legal in MN? I do not believe it is legal down here. Might want to do a quick check before going down that road.

Frankly, a good muzzleloader might be a better set up for her with respect to carrying and range. Just another idea anyway.

.410 has been legal for as long as I can remember. It was to be my first gun to hunt deer with. Even at the ripe old age of 12 I knew to beg for something different, which we didn't have. My dad had one rifle and 1 shotgun, the .410 single shot. My uncle let me borrow his .303 britt. That thing was a POS now that I look back on it.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, .410 sucks, my cousin got stuck with using one for a couple years and all we did was chase down his cripples. Only kills he made were at about 30 yards or less.

Kid can shoot so I dont think his ability was the issue.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There are some great 20 ga slugs out there today. Recoil shouldn't be an issue with a good gas operated auto-loader.

Think I'd pass on a .410 though and not legal in WI.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by iblong
The 410 was banned for a long time but now its legal again,but It
dose not change the fact that its prety darned marginal.
Thanks for the replies guys,I had not thought of black powder that would be an option.Its been years since I hunted with one.
But unless I am sitting with her I dought she would be inclined
to load it herself if a second shot was needed.Shes interested but I do want to keep it simple,But I probabally will hunt with her this season and just guide her through it.Id really like to see her fill her first tag.It would be as fun as taking one myself.

Trust me. It will be MORE fun than taking one yourself. I laid on a hillside alongside my wife (both with buck only tags) when her deer came out. It was a fork horn so I whispered "its got horns, you wanna shoot it?" She said "yeah" So she "aims" and shoots and I see she made a good shot as he mule kicked and took off. I said "you got him!" She OPENS HER EYES and said "I DID????" haha I'll never forget that. 5 minutes later a big bodied old swamp buck comes sneakin through and I dropped him with one 12 ga slug to the shoulder. Our season was done and I was 10 times more excited over her deer than my own.

Then I made the mistake of insisting she help process the deer since she shot one and turned her off deer hunting. frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I think the 2 3/4" Remington solid copper 20 gauge slug is pretty soft shooting. I assume the 1100 is a rifled barrel.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If the 20 you mentioned is in good shape, grab it for $300 if she wants it or not...a good deal on a heck of a squirrel and rabbit gun too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think if you check the ballistics they will be near the standard .45-70 loads.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My daughter and I both use 20 ga. slug guns in Mass. Very accurate, light recoil as compared to a 12 ga. and work very well on deer. The comparison above to the 45-70 is not far off. If she's comfortable with the 1100 buy it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have taken two does with my Mossberg 500c 20 ga pump. Slugs were Remington foster style. Worked fine.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the local gunshop the other day and a young man brought in his .410 semi-auto because it wasn't ejecting shells and he needed it ready for deer season (opens two days from now). The shop owner laughed at him, obviously not the kid's first trip in, asking if he'd given up the 12 ga. The kid said he tried it last year and couldn't kill anything with it, so he's going back to the .410 that he'd killed several deer with before. This is in Minnesota, and yes, the .410 with slugs is legal.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 10 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.