-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
In between rains today, I was able to take the 17 HMR out and shoot some ground squirrels. I slapped together a single page with a few pictures. I really like the 17 HMR. Great little caliber. I have captions on each picture with my impressions of how it went. Click on the link to take a look. http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Good 17's... from Varmint Al

Good Hunting from Varmint Al
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice shooting!
<br>
<br>and love the pics! You have some beautiful country up there!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got to like a guy who sights in a new rifle in the varmint field. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Al - just a couple of questions; Those are some big ground squirels compared to the little striped ones I have here. What are they? How do you think that 17 hmr would perform on prairie dogs?
<br>
<br>Pretty little rifle... good pictires on your page...thanks for sharing it with us.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The scientific name for them is: Spermophilus beecheyi
<br>
<br>I have never hunted any prairie dogs so I can't say about them. The little 17 HMR sure does the business on our ground squirrels and is not very noisy either. I have a 100 yard benchrest range up at my cabin, but after the recent rains, the roads are like mud slides. I will be able to get up there next weekend, I think. Then I will put the 17 HMR on paper. My sighting in was interrupted by rain showers. Sightus Interruptus.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>There are more pictures of the ground squirrels on my Varmint Hunting Page: http://www.varmintal.com/avarm.htm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The grounds squirrel's are also called Columbian Ground Squirrels, I believe. They are about twice, maybe, of what a common stripped gopher is. They are about 1/2 to 1/3 of a prairie dog. Fun to shoot before the grass gets real high. I like my 30-06 with cast bullets.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do those Squirrels live in large towns like prairie dogs? Our little striped "gophers" are about the size of big chipmunks but with a long tail. They don't build big towns as prairie dogs do. They are fairly spread out. That and the fact that they are so small are reasons that we don't do any serious shooting at them. I get a few with the .22 rimfire hand guns from time to time.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, PDS, they tend to live in big towns but they do not build up a mound of dirt like the PD's do. Some will show a mound but many don't. Just a hole in the ground like a stripped gopher. Because varmint hunting is not as good as it is out in the prairie country, I think the Colombian Ground Sqirrels also get hit harder by the local shooters anxious to get out after a long winter. Also, they tend to frequent grassy areas which is also a favorite place for the campers who work on 'em all summer long.

Rolly
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
New info on the 17 HMR Testing Page.
<br>
<br>I took the 17 HMR up to my mountain cabin and shot 11 ea. 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it. I also measured the velocity on 15 rounds. Shot a Diet Coke can full of water at 30 yards with the 17 HMR and took a movie clip of it. If you look at the frame before the can is hit, you can actually see the bullet about 2 ft from the can. All of the info is on the 17 HMR Testing Page:
<br>
<br>http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
<br>
<br>Here is the impact crater from a 17 HMR on a 3/4" steel plate at about 30 yards. The lower impact was a 270 Win from close range a few years ago.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Good Hunting from Varmint Al

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,198
Posts18,524,104
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.