Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am not a prude about killing and eating animals and my wife looks great in her fur coat. I enjoy BBQ regularly and nothing beats sitting down to a meal of striped bass caught by you and your kids that morning. I firmly believe that God put animals in His world to serve man.

And altough I do hunt, I understand the allure and think that deer hunting is great for those that enjoy it.

On the other hand, viewing some photos of hunters with their lion trophies made me sad.

Two questions:

1) Is there a significant fraction of enthusiastic deer hunters who would not hunt lion even if given the opportunity?

2) Is lion hunting similar to the New Jersey bear hunt, which does not bother me. Too many of those big felines and they need to be thinned?

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 11/03/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What lions are you talking about? African or Mountain?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you ever have an encounter with one that gives you the stink eye, you'll understand why our forefathers killed them on sight.
The only good cat is a dead cat...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer

Think it was lying africans..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Guess I'm just trying to figure out why you posed this question in the deer hunting section. The African or General Hunting forums might get you more well rounded answers.

maddog

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by selmer

African

I posted here because I wanted to know if a fair number of deer hunters shared my aversion to trophy photos of African lions

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 11/03/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd hunt either type of lion if given the chance and from what I have heard, chasing a pack of hounds around snow packed mountains does not equal a no brainer hunt. They kill hundreds of thousands of deer every year in Colorado and they are anything but rare.

Stack 'em up.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can respect another opinion but I just don't get why the question is being asked in a Deer Hunting forum or why being asked at all. Part of the question also seems to border on high fence hunts. To each his own, if one cares to shoot a lion, good for him. Its not my cup of tea and doubt I would have the $10-$20k pocket change to do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless I miss my guess pretty bad I doubt there are very many of us deer hunters who would ever have the chance at an African lion finances being what they are.

However if they get started around here and one happens to wander into my oat patch I'd most probably shoot the fool out of it. Might take a picture too.

Quando Omni Moritati
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
very odd question indeed

Something clever here.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As long as everything was done legally ... why not?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ChipM
I can respect another opinion but I just don't get why the question is being asked in a Deer Hunting forum or why being asked at all. Part of the question also seems to border on high fence hunts. To each his own, if one cares to shoot a lion, good for him. Its not my cup of tea and doubt I would have the $10-$20k pocket change to do so.

Ahh, I hate to disillusion anybody, but african lion hunts[excluding canned RSA hunts] START around $35,000 and go upwards toward $90,000+ all in. That sure separates the men from the boys, financially. grin

Looking at trophy lion kill pics doesn't bother me one iota. If it wasn't for hunters that CAN afford to hunt lions, the African lion population would be far worse off, than it is. A dollar value has to be placed on a specie, in Africa, so that it will encourage conservation of said specie. Without that, the specie would be doomed to extinction due to poaching, or in the case of predators, conflicts with human/livestock. Wild remote Africa is still there, but continues to shrink because of human encroachment.

maddog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Lion trophy pics are disgusting. How could anyone shoot a poor wittle puddycat?

[Linked Image]

From L: Mallebung, me, Ron, the old man, Junior.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless of your feelings, if nobody was willing to pay big-bucks for lion hunts, there would be no lions left.

Without hunters, lions are vermin. They used to shoot them on-sight all over Africa. Do you think it would be different today with more population and less wilderness area?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savuti

Lion trophy pics are disgusting. How could anyone shoot a poor wittle puddycat?

[Linked Image]

From L: Mallebung, me, Ron, the old man, Junior.

Easily. See Lion, aim gun, pull trigger. Can't get much simpler than that!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My checkbook is not that large, but I would hunt them in a heartbeat otherwise!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie
Regardless of your feelings, if nobody was willing to pay big-bucks for lion hunts, there would be no lions left.

Without hunters, lions are vermin. They used to shoot them on-sight all over Africa. Do you think it would be different today with more population and less wilderness area?

I suspected that the lion hunts were part of wildlife management, but the photos of the dead lions still bum me out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Bushmaster1313

I suspected that the lion hunts were part of wildlife management, but the photos of the dead lions still bum me out. [/quote]

No offense intended; Your 'handle' here seems misplaced IF trophy pics of one of Africa's Big 5 bothers you.

To answer your ? YES, I do hunt mtn lion and I WOULD hunt Lion in Africa if I were able to.

We have a cougar that has been SEEN by myself and at least 1 other hunter on the lease I hunt. I ALMOST got a shot at it last yr BUT... I have a few pics I took a took a few yrs. back where a cougar chased a critter into a den tree. It had pawed the dirt away all around the tree and chewed & or clawed the tree all around the entrance hole.

Last edited by jwall; 11/03/11.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my aversion to trophy photos of _______

Sounds like a personal problem to me. You are in the wrong place for that attitude. If photos of legally hunted and killed animals bother you don't look at them.
cry

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd kill a lion in a heartbeat be it African or American.......

And take lots of pics...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (22250rem, 1minute, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,042
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.