Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hello To Everyone,

I am new to this website so I am not sure if this is the place for my question, but here goes anyway. I would like to know if anyone here is able to do case hardening? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G.I "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!" You might want to pass this on, as many seem to forget both of them!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you looking to get hardened? A receiver?

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
If you are looking to have something Color Case Hardened, Doug Turnbull Restorations is about the best.

YMMV

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have a 1873 trapdoor built by Navy Arms, and I am thinking of having the lockplate and buttplate color case hardened.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G.I "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!" You might want to pass this on, as many seem to forget both of them!
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Urban,
Thank you for the information.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
If you are looking to have something Color Case Hardened, Doug Turnbull Restorations is about the best.

YMMV

+1 on Turnbull's. Their work is superb.

Welcome to the 'fire!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Ed,

Thank you for the information.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
might look into Ron's gunshop also...

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
another recommendation for Turnbull....here's a sample of some work he did for me:

[Linked Image]

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thank you to everyone for all of your help. I have gotten a very reasonable price quote from Turnbull, I am also going to contact Ron's because according to their website they do a couple of different types of Color Case Hardening.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Spoke to Ron's and I was surprised when they did not recommend that I have the parts Case hardened do to the possibility of warping the parts. I had not thought of that so I was impressed that they think of what would be best for my project rather than just selling their services. I will do some more investigating. Thank you for all of your help.

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Warping is always a problem, thin sections cooling faster than thick sections when they take the plunge, and less than perfectly equal cooling across the part. Parts are fixtured to prevent warping as necessary and Turnbull is supposed to be very good at that. I'd be inclined to tell Turnbull my concerns to see what they have to say.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had Doug do several small pieces for me,adds a little something to the package...
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried my hand a while back at color case hardening, using the kiln in the pottery studio here at the school. While I could accurately control the temperatures, and used an air-tight vessel (cobbled together out of a short section of 4" cast iron pipe) and the proper charcoals, results were mixed. Small solid parts generally came out nicely mottled but some didn't and I need to figure out why before doing another batch, larger thin parts (such as a rifle lever and a couple of homemade dial indicator arms) did indeed warp a tad. I was able to straighten one out enough to use it. If I try it again I will need to figure out a way to fixture stuff to prevent warpage. I'm told that parts with sharp inside corners run the risk of cracking, but am taking that on faith and do put small fillets there if I think I may ever CC harden them)

It's not rocket science, but definitely an art and oh-my-god what a commotion when all that stuff goes into the quench!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I tried my hand a while back at color case hardening, using the kiln in the pottery studio here at the school. While I could accurately control the temperatures, and used an air-tight vessel (cobbled together out of a short section of 4" cast iron pipe) and the proper charcoals, results were mixed. Small solid parts generally came out nicely mottled but some didn't and I need to figure out why before doing another batch, larger thin parts (such as a rifle lever and a couple of homemade dial indicator arms) did indeed warp a tad. I was able to straighten one out enough to use it. If I try it again I will need to figure out a way to fixture stuff to prevent warpage. I'm told that parts with sharp inside corners run the risk of cracking, but am taking that on faith and do put small fillets there if I think I may ever CC harden them)

It's not rocket science, but definitely an art and oh-my-god what a commotion when all that stuff goes into the quench!

Visit vintageshotgun.com Tony describes his color hardening adventures and discoveries. Oscar Gaddy (RIP) had some articles in Double Gun Journal and some great threads at doublegunshop.com

Looks like big fun, be careful.

Jim

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, I've read Tony and Oscar's stuff. They probably did as much as anybody to inspire my feeble efforts. That and Turnbull's usurious shop rates. Frankly, it's quite an ordeal, and since I'm at the mercy of the pottery studio's haphazard kiln schedule, (not to mention the PC attitude of the Demi Moore types I share kiln space with) not something that I plan on pursuing to any great extent.

For functionality, case hardening small parts by using Kasenit is a satisfactory, albeit colorless, process.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.