Hop To
#5775494 11/03/11
M
mikeone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Who would you talk to about a custom O3A3 build?
I'm thinking 7x57,or 257 Roberts.
Thanks,
Mike

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two in the works right now.

Jim
Jkob60msn.com

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the 03A3's should be chambered in one of the classic .30-06 based cartridges. I built mine into a .270, but anything from .25-06 to .35 Whelan would be appropriate, IMHO.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
35 Whelen 03-A3 would be Skookum PLUS. Especially with a nice walnut handle and some aperature sights. A hunters/stalkers rifle. Then, see the thread in hunting rifles about red and black wool, LL Beane Maine hunting shoes, Stormy Kromer hats etc.

Putting the HUNT and the FUN back into hunting, as I see it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by mikeone
Thanks,
Mike

The old Springfield is my favorite action to build a rile on. Either caliber would work well on a 1903A3. Is it a Remington or Smith Corona? How custom do you plan on making it?

Here is a picture of an 03A3 that happens to be a 7X57. My Wife is pretty fond of it. wink

[Linked Image]

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
IC B2

M
mikeone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by mikeone
Thanks,
Mike

The old Springfield is my favorite action to build a rile on. Either caliber would work well on a 1903A3. Is it a Remington or Smith Corona? How custom do you plan on making it?

Here is a picture of an 03A3 that happens to be a 7X57. My Wife is pretty fond of it. wink

[Linked Image]

Yes!!!!
That's what I'm looking for.
I don't have a donor yet,I'm hoping to get recommendations for the whole process,including names of reputable builders.
Thanks,
Mike

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Beautiful rifle Larry. The stock has the simple elegance of the original Brownell Rugers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Larry, good looking rifle, what bottom metal?

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by sactoller
Larry, good looking rifle, what bottom metal?

It is a standard 1903 milled unit that has been converted to a hinged floor plate style by a smith. Over the years I have had several done in different configurations.

For my money the 1903 milled trigger-guard was one of the best looking units ever made. I have even been guilty of putting them on Mauser 98 actions. wink

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
.257 Bob sounds like a great choice to me... 25-06 wouldn't be bad, either... even 257 Weatherby Mag...

Mike McCabe will do you square on an 03-A3 build. He has done some great work for me on a couple of '98 Mausers.

That rifle that Larry is showing off makes my heart skip a beat...

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A good friend of mine who's Dad had passed away about six years ago was really into guns and my friend really isn't. He called me one afternoon and asked me to meet him at his folks house so I did. Where he handed me a rifle sock that had a completely Sporterized 03A3 barreled action in the white rebarreled and chambered in 35 Whelen AI and a Classic style laminated stock and said I think Dad would want you to have this, this was the project that he had going when he died of cancer, will you finish what he started if I give it to you. I told him he could count on it. So in January 2012 the smith I use will crank up his bluing tanks and blue it and fit the stock to the action. If I'm lucky I'll go shoot a buck with it next season.

Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Used to see 03s that were rechambered to 300 Win Mag quite
often.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shipster
A good friend of mine who's Dad had passed away about six years ago was really into guns and my friend really isn't. He called me one afternoon and asked me to meet him at his folks house so I did. Where he handed me a rifle sock that had a completely Sporterized 03A3 barreled action in the white rebarreled and chambered in 35 Whelen AI and a Classic style laminated stock and said I think Dad would want you to have this, this was the project that he had going when he died of cancer, will you finish what he started if I give it to you. I told him he could count on it. So in January 2012 the smith I use will crank up his bluing tanks and blue it and fit the stock to the action. If I'm lucky I'll go shoot a buck with it next season.

Shipster

THAT, amigo, is WAY COOL! And, will be one terriffic hunting rifle at the end game! Love that 35Whelen AI round! We will all just HAVE to see the photos when all up and ready. Going with peeps or a low X sccope of some type? You will, like a few others of us here, then need the full red and black wool regalia froom Filson, LL Beane, Stormy Kromer, etc. Keep us all up to speed on this one, OK?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jericho
Used to see 03s that were rechambered to 300 Win Mag quite
often.

Yeah, quite a few around and some used the original milsurp barrels. Nothing at all wrong with the idea, execution or concept. More common than the 300 WinMag, IME, are the 308 Norma aka 30/338 and 30 Belted Newton. Both have longer necks and pre date the Winchester round by about 8 or 9 years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 2X7 Leupold that is a late 1960's vintage that I thought I would put on top of it, and you can bet there will be lots of pictures to share.

Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'll work, and well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.