-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This might seem like an obvious question, but I've never had to deal with below zero hunting conditions for more than a day or two down in Oregon and Washington. I'm going moose hunting and whitetail hunting (likely from a stand) Nov. 20-30 around Cochrane. My guide said temps could be as low as 20 below where we are hunting. I've got lots of Sitka gear hunting clothing, but am thinking I need some sort of coverall, facemask, gloves and pac boots?? Any recommendations of what you like? Will probably only use this stuff once, so don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that minus 20 Celsius or Fahrenheit? Makes quite a difference in how you have to dress.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20 below is not as cold feeling in the dry air as it is in the humid. if -20C that is only -16 F so warm underwear and layers to keep warm is the norm. I you are in a stand take a sleeping bag to wrap up while waiting. Wear a toque or watch cap as it may be called in the south. I have a fur hat I wear when it gets -40 as 10% of your heat will be lost through your head. As strange as it sounds, if your feet feel cold protect your head more. Wear felt pac or really good thinsulate boots and wear mits to keep hands warm and fingers nimble for trigger squeeze. ake sure the rifle has all lubricant removed.

Once the deer is down you will be removing cloths to keep from overheating.

Have an excellent hunt. Hunting whitetails in the cold and snow is a hoot.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Are you hunting up along the Forestry Trunk Road or in the open country north east of Cochrane? Beautiful country all around there.
Either way, the wind could easily be an issue by then. I would recommend felt pac boots with wool socks if stand hunting. If spot/stalk then Thinsulate/Gortex hiking/hunting boots along with the wool socks. A decent set of polar fleece pants and jacket layered under your Sitka clothes along with polypro long johns should do the trick. A toque and a pair of Arctic Shield glove/mitts should round things out. That is what I wear when hunting here in Alberta in late Nov. Be prepared as well for warmer weather as it is Alberta after all. This is all stuff you could easily use where you live as well, esp if you winter steelhead.
Enjoy your hunt here.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the responses and well wishes - I was waiting to hear from my guide regarding whether it was C or F and he was saying -20 Celsius which is only -4 Farenheit if my math is right. I can handle that pretty well with the gear I have. I did order the arctic extreme muck boots that are rated to -60 just to be safe as the guide said knee high boots would be a good idea. My Danners and Meindls should suffice if the temps stay above zero.

I'm not sure exactly where we will be hunting. I'm going with Mark Tannas of Grease Creek Outfitters and I know he hunts around his home in Water Valley which is NE of Cochrane. Seems to be a really nice guy, but this will be my first trip with him.

Joe

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Water Valley is nice country. It has a decent mix of rolling hills, valleys, trees, and clearings. The weather that time of year can be unpredictable, but the last few years have shown some snow towards the end of November. Temps shouldn't be all that bad, but the wind should always be respected, as it can cut into a fella pretty hard. Pack something to cover your ears, face, and hands, and you should be all right.
Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it turns out!

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just to be geographically correct Water valley is NW of Cochrane. Have a great hunt.GRF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GRF
Just to be geographically correct Water valley is NW of Cochrane. Have a great hunt.GRF

Totally correct - my typo. Thanks.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Coming to the party late but.

I just got something similar to these for stand or still hunting an like them alot. work great and allow me to keep my normal (broken in) boots on in all 4 seasons.
http://www.cabelas.com/footwear-accessories-icebreaker-insulated-boot-blanket-overboots-1.shtml

for hands i like mitts with glove liners... call me crazy but the liners i like are baseball gloves all leather liners they give more dex then fleece and won't burn as fast or melt either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure exactly where we will be hunting. I'm going with Mark Tannas of Grease Creek Outfitters and I know he hunts around his home in Water Valley which is NE of Cochrane. Seems to be a really nice guy, but this will be my first trip with him.

I know Mark, I spent 10 days hunting cougar with him and a former partner of his. It was several years ago, but I stayed in a nice little trappers cabin just down the road from his home. We didn't see many whitetails, but moose were quite plentiful.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
Thanks for the responses and well wishes - I was waiting to hear from my guide regarding whether it was C or F and he was saying -20 Celsius which is only -4 Farenheit if my math is right. I can handle that pretty well with the gear I have. I did order the arctic extreme muck boots that are rated to -60 just to be safe as the guide said knee high boots would be a good idea. My Danners and Meindls should suffice if the temps stay above zero.

Joe

I've been working nights lately.
That is some real nice country in there. Weather should be be pretty nice by Alberta standards. There was likely some snow in that area the last 24 hours though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Layers. Good Thermax, poly pro whatever medium weight underwear. Shirt/sweater/pants/bibs with windproof fleece outerwear works for me. I wear Meindl winter 800 boots, Ravenwear Canuck hat, wool/lycra/spandex socks, Artic Shield mittens with liner glove combo, fleece face mask if required.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've loaded up on cold weather gear and can hardly wait 10 more days for my hunt to begin. Had some good advice to get some of those thermarest heat pads that you stick to your back in case it gets bitter cold on the treestand days. Have plenty of handwarmers and added the Sitka muff to my collection which feels like it should work great. Bought some of the Muck Arctic Pro -60 degree boots as well.

Now I'm just debating on a second rifle for the whitetails. Taking my .338RUM with 250 grain accubonds for the moose and leaning towards the .280 Ackley with 140 Accubonds for the deer. Considering one of my Model 7's though for a nice compact tree stand rifle (.243 win or 7mm-08). My thought is that the .280AI is a good Moose round as well so if something happened to the .338RUM I'd have a backup...decisions, decisions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd choose the 243. ;-)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've killed a pile of big bodied muleys with the .243 and 85 grain Barnes tsx and have seen a couple elk fall to the same bullet. .240 Weatherby and 100 grain partitions is another possibility. Tough choices!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
I'd choose the 243. ;-)

It certainly don't "tickle" on the business end...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Anaconda, Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,097
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.