Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
NYPD prohibits single action, or any double action that's capable of single action fire. Revolvers must be double action only, as must all autos. I imagine that this is the reason.
Yeah, you can always count on an administrator to find a hardware solution to a software problem.

The Glock only mentality is just more dumbing down of America. Play to the lowest level, rather than trying to elevate the game. This is not a bash on Glocks, I think they're perfectly suited for military and police work. It's more a condemnation of the mindset that only a Glock will work because there's so much extra training needed with all other platforms. Like someone else already said, this conveninetly ignores a century of use with other platforms successfully, and plays to small anecdotal incidents making them the standard.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
NYPD prohibits single action, or any double action that's capable of single action fire. Revolvers must be double action only, as must all autos. I imagine that this is the reason.
Yeah, you can always count on an administrator to find a hardware solution to a software problem.

The Glock only mentality is just more dumbing down of America. Play to the lowest level, rather than trying to elevate the game. This is not a bash on Glocks, I think they're perfectly suited for military and police work. It's more a condemnation of the mindset that only a Glock will work because there's so much extra training needed with all other platforms. Like someone else already said, this conveninetly ignores a century of use with other platforms successfully, and plays to small anecdotal incidents making them the standard.

Perfectly stated.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
...as to round count, isn't it better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. the fact is glocks work, they are simple, no external safety to train around and they have hi cap mags. the 1911 while a good gun is alot heavier and has alot of things to train around, like condition one, like being SA only, like have alot less magazine compacity. its a gun that works great shooting at the range or plinking.

...not trying to make an enemy here cumminscowboy, but that may be the most vacuous entry from the standpoint of logic that I've seen on the campfire....sorry to be blunt.

The first rule in a gunfight is to have a gun. Unfortunately that maxim has led alot of people to make poor choices. The "average" encounter (if there is such a thing) ends without a shot being fired, simply by the victim demonstrating that he is armed and has the intention to fight back (this according to Jim Higginbotham in Fire For Effect). If so, then probability-wise, you could carry one of the blue training guns painted black and save the expense and weight of a real gun. However, as a wise person once said, "99 out of 100 black bears will turn tail and run when they come in contact with people. The problem, is they don't come in numerical order, so you won't know which one its going to be." Probability changes the equation--you'll probably never need the handgun. You'll probably be close enough to your target to not need controlled shots. You'll probably be assaulted by someone not determined or on drugs that will be easily stopped by a minor caliber. At what point do you decide that the %'s are ok to stake your life on??? It's a personal decision, ie. magazine capacity---you'll probably not need more than 6 shots to solve the problem---I'm ok with that one, but it's a personal decision. Magazine capacity is fine if it's at minimal cost---however, size and weight dictate that you'll give up stopping power to gain firepower (a seperate arguement best left alone for now). Personally I've chosen to error on the side of stopping power at the sacrifice of firepower--but then I live a sedate, suburban lifestyle. Were I defending Bastogne or fighting at the Chosin Reservoir or living in Cook County, Ill. my choice might be different, I admit.

Regarding "training around" the safety, I agree that the gun is not fool proof, but then fools shouldn't be carrying them. To place virtue on a lethal weapon because it takes little training is misplaced to say the least and negligent to say the most. If your thesis is "Glocks are foolproof" then the also accept the synthesis "Glocks are the best option for fools."

To state that the 1911 is great for the range and plinking but not LE or defense defies logic, rationalism and statistics, not to mention 100 years of history.

Sorry for the rant---you hit a nerve. BTW, I have nothing against Glocks although I only own one.
Excellent post.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

To answer your question of the greatest handgun ever made: the Smith & Wesson M&P/ Model 10.

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning HiPower's and 1911's seem to rule here, along with the SAA. I like the CZ75's and I sleep with a Steyr M9A1. The K22 was mentioned earlier. I just got my first one, pre 57, and it is very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Greatest Handgun Ever Made

Hello Forum Friends
Well, That's Rather easy the Gun that changed the world the S&W Registered Magnum. The time was 1935 When Col. Douglas Wesson released his hand made creation the Registered Magnum. S&W was the first Gun Manufacturer to release a Magnum handgun and they did it in Grand style. Wesson selected the Finest gun smith's he had on Staff to cherry pick the parts and hand assemble these fine guns. It Opened a Huge door to law enforcement and hunters who wanted a Powerful round and gave the Police a side arm that they could contend with the Likes of Gangsters back then. Sadly the Registered Magnum would be changed over into a Production line revolver after World War II and later became known as the Most elaborate handgun ever offered by S&W as it was assigned the Model number 27 in 1957. Shown below is my First Year 1935 Registered Magnum. One of only 720 Made that very first year. Below it is it's Grandson a Pre-27 That shipped out of the factory In July 1955...It has been said that Fewer than 10% of the Pre-27's shipped out of the factory In Nickel finish. TheGeneral

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They didn't come with oversized Target grips from the factory as either standard or optional, did they? Just askin'. Maybe you've got them on for shooting purposes?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]

Colt .45 ! Of course,what else...

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
They didn't come with oversized Target grips from the factory as either standard or optional, did they? Just askin'. Maybe you've got them on for shooting purposes?

Hello Cole
In 1954 S&W Offered Over sized Target stocks as an add on when Ordering their gun or option consumers could buy after they made their purchase. The Nickel Pre-27 shown came with them as well as it's Wide Target Trigger and Wide Target Hammer making it a Full Taret model, or more commonly Called 3-T's... TheGeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by generalstuart

Hello Cole
In 1954 S&W Offered Over sized Target stocks as an add on when Ordering their gun or option consumers could buy after they made their purchase. The Nickel Pre-27 shown came with them as well as it's Wide Target Trigger and Wide Target Hammer making it a Full Taret model, or more commonly Called 3-T's... TheGeneral.
Thanks General. I read through your other post too fast and was of the mind that the pre-27 was made in the 30's...which didn't make sense if I'd stopped and thought about it. The timeline you present now makes sense to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by generalstuart

Hello Cole
Thanks General. I read through your other post too fast and was of the mind that the pre-27 was made in the 30's...which didn't make sense if I'd stopped and thought about it. The timeline you present now makes sense to me.

Hello Cole
In 1935 when S&W released the Registered Magnums you had a choice of Standard service stock, Magna stock or the very Rare Walter Roper stocks as far as wood went. Shown below is my 1935 .357 Registered Magnum, with all Three variations of the wood I speak of...I Guess the Original Registered Magnum could be called Pre-27's as well since they were the Grandfather to the later made Pre-27's and model stamped 27's made later yet...TheGeneral.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by XL5
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by XL5
The FN 1910 in .380 Browning is responsible for more deaths than any other handgun in history.
Huh?

That was what Gavrilo Princip used to kill Franz Ferdinand. About 16 million people died in the ensuing dustup.

That's just combatants. If you take into account collateral deaths caused by disease, malnutrition, etc, that stemmed directly from the war's disruption of the Continent, the number is closer to 25 million. And if you include the 1918 influenza epidemic (which originated in the incredibly crowded and unsanitary conditions of the Western Front, most likely on the Allied side of the trenches), which killed an estimated 20 million more people worldwide, the number is closer to 45 million.

But let's not quibble. That 1910 Browning triggered a helluva mess.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Beautiful specimens, General...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I assumed they were all the same gun with different grips put on. His full collection of vintage S&W revolvers is amazing, though, for sure. I think I'd get an ulcer if I had so many beautiful pieces to take care of and secure. I'd be constantly worried about rust.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
all the cops around here I see carry glocks, I think I have seen a few sigs as well but thats it, never a 1911, if you are being honest with yourself not having a double stack mag is why most LE and miltary folks have found something else besides the 1911.
I've noticed several cops just doubling up on the mag pouches. Other cops don't seem to be so paranoid and just carry a couple spare magazines. I'm not aware of any cops that were saved because they had high capacity magazines. There have been a few cases where cops have fired a high round count from cover, which is really a case of cops being willing to miss more.

I've never seen any evidence that was convincing that high capacity magazines were any sort of requirement for a cop. Quite honestly, if you expose yourself enough to shoot more than three 8 round magazines of ammo, then you're probably assured of being hit yourself.

Cops, just like anyone else, are not encourage to get into any protracted gunfights. The handgun is a defensive arm.

But if you're positive that a single column magazine precludes a pistol from LE service, would you mind sharing your source of convincing evidence?

Kevin, I'll jump in here, if you don't mind.

First, I don't think a single-stack mag really precludes a pistol from the LE selection list, but it has significant disadvantages in protracted gunfights. Protracted gunfights are statistically uncommon in the USA, but they are by no means rare. As the medical aphorism goes, "statistics are cold comfort to the man with the disease"; likewise, it is little comfort to the cop in a protracted gunfight to know that he is experiencing a very uncommon adventure.

I have personal knowledge of (i.e., I know the cop(s) involved in the gunfight, have personally debriefed them, and have confirmed the circumstances with a second witness/source) of 5 gunfights in which the officer in question exhausted all the ammunition on his person within a matter of minutes. In all 5 cases the offender was using a superior firearm (rifle or high-cap pistol) and aggressively attacking the cop(s). In all 5 cases the officer used his handgun in a suppressive fire mode to allow him to either maneuver to a better defensive position, obtain a more powerful weapon (rifle or shotgun), or provide sufficient delay time for other officers to arrive on the scene to help finish the fight. You may recall I've alluded to a west coast deputy I know very well who exhausted his personal loadout of 96 rounds of .357 Magnum cartridges in not one, but TWO gunfights.

This is a particularly sticky problem for rural county deputies, who are much more likely to be a long way/time from backup if they get into a fight. We have seen situations where all that stands between a missing deputy ("shoot, shovel, and shut up", cue the banjo music) and a man who comes home at the end of his shift is having enough ammo to get to his patrol rifle in his squad car, and when backup is 30 minutes away, you've got to be prepared to fight the full fight with what you've got on your body when the flag goes up. My former county in Wisconsin recently switched (against my objections) from the Glock 23 to the SIG P220 single-stack pistol in .45 ACP, with no change to the number of magazines carried on the duty belt. This reduced the number of pistol rounds on the deputy's person from 43 to 22 rounds, which struck me as lunacy. As a member of our SWAT team I started carrying a double-stack mag pouch on my duty belt (36 rounds) and encouraged the other team members to follow suit. Most did, and today all but a few of the old guys carry 4 spare mags, and some carry more.

But I think the most persuasive argument for double-stack mags for LE/military use comes from a good friend who I can't name, but whose first name sounds a lot like Hank, and who is a civilian CQB trainer for some of our military's SF people. Hank comes from a background on another continent where there's been a lot of armed conflict over the past 30 years or so, and based on that experience he's got some pretty firm opinions on what sort of pistol a man should carry if he has any expectation of getting into a CQB fight for his life. Hank's view is that your pistol needs to be chambered in 45 ACP, period, and it should be a Glock, although he'll cut the SIG P250 and S&W M&P some slack, and he'll tolerate a reliable 1911. The higher capacity magazines are necessary in his view because when you get into the thick stuff, reloading should happen as infrequently as possible. A single-stack magazine gives you 1 or 2 engagements before you need to be thinking about a reload. A double-stack gives you 3 or 4 or 5 engagements before the same problem arises. The difference between those could be your life.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling. It's Sunday morning, my coffee tastes good, and I'm in no hurry to get to my honey-do list... grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I assumed they were all the same gun with different grips put on. His full collection of vintage S&W revolvers is amazing, though, for sure. I think I'd get an ulcer if I had so many beautiful pieces to take care of and secure. I'd be constantly worried about rust.

That's one of the reasons I moved from waterlogged Wisconsin to west Texas, Hawk. You oughta think about buying some fine S&W guns and getting outta Florida your ownself!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
I would say there is a list not just one....and I am speaking cartridge guns here....in no specific order here

SAA...first real succesful Cartridge revolver still made today

Mauser C96....first succesful Auto

Luger....form and function blend like only Germany can do still the standard in MFG tolerances and function

1911....the Standard in Combat hanguns and the most prolific handgun ever made

S&W M&P(model 10)K frame S&W the most prolific revolver ever

CZ75..one of the most copied designs ever and for a reason it works

Walther PP and PPK..the standard of pocket pistols and still made today nearly 80 years later

BHP...the final design of the finest Gun Designer to ever live IMHO...and issued to more military units than any hangun in history

That's an excellent list, with excellent reasons behind each one. My only quibble would be that the S&W Model 10 can't really be separated from the entire line of hand-ejector-spawned revolvers that S&W produced, and as such I'd broaden that selection to include all of its siblings and cousins, a truly impressive bunch!

And my only outright disagreement would be the Walther PP/PPK; I have owned and hated several specimens of that particular pistol.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That's an excellent list, with excellent reasons behind each one. My only quibble would be that the S&W Model 10 can't really be separated from the entire line of hand-ejector-spawned revolvers that S&W produced, and as such I'd broaden that selection to include all of its siblings and cousins, a truly impressive bunch!

And my only outright disagreement would be the Walther PP/PPK; I have owned and hated several specimens of that particular pistol.
I agree with you on both points.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.