Yep, Huff Po sucks.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Try this one or any of a dozen others.
http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

I've been in PHX a good bit. Nothing like coming in for a landing through the yellow clouds.

Only an idiot would think PHX has decent air quality.

HuffPo and insults. Yep, you've convinced me.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Pretty incredulous to judge the entire Midwest by Detroit and the Cuyahoga River. Pretty stupid too.

Especially coming from PHX where you can cut the air with your knife and use it to butter bread.

And how many governors have been jailed in AZ

I knew you would be along shortly.
If you will go to my post i mentioned a lot of beautiful country in the midwest, detroit isn't one of them.
By the way, it was 40degrees this morning here in phoenix

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG

Especially coming from PHX where you can cut the air with your knife and use it to butter bread.

Not sure where that idea comes from. I breathe the air here all year long and don't see an issue with it. And everyone knows we eat tortillas here and not bread.

Tied with LA for second worst air in the US.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...69011&title=2_PhoenixMesaGlendale_AZ
You really are that dense?
wow brent, u would think "you'ed" be a lot nicer...with all the locations u have (under that cow of yours there)don't look like there's much more places(loc) that would take u in ...........imo..... smile And RoninPhx / thanks for the trip thur the corn belt.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
By the way, it was 40degrees this morning here in phoenix

42 degrees here. wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by old70
Detroit has a fair mix of all races, and there are tensions. The city government has proved its ineptitude time and again, but this current administration is looking at consolidating the people in certain areas so they can afford to provide emergency services. They have then considered razing the resultant empty buildings. Best thing that could happen to the city. Oddly enough, the movie industry has found Detroit useful, I know in at least one movie, it doubled as Sarajevo during the civil war. Easy to do in that pit. I find time and again that folks judge all of Michigan by Detroit, Flint and the southern cities. It's not an accurate assessment. There is a tremendous amount of farmland in the south, and some outright wilderness in the north. It's a great state for recreation, just a tough one to find a job in. I have high hopes since we got a republican govt' that has balanced the budget and is actively courting manufacturing and other industries. I hope they are successful, but it's a tough state to get industry into due to high labor costs. The expectations of the union labor may be the thing keeping industry from coming here.

by far i am not judging all of michigan by the southern cities, the friend i stayed with has a farm in upstate michigan and another time i can't wait to get up there. But i am going to fly when i do that.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
As to the heat in phoenix, rather have the heat than that cold.
Speaking of which, it was clear all the way back until i hit flagstaff, about 125miles north of phoenix, and the snow.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by atvalaska
wow brent, u would think "you'ed" be a lot nicer...with all the locations u have (under that cow of yours there)don't look like there's much more places(loc) that would take u in ...........imo..... smile And RoninPhx / thanks for the trip thur the corn belt.

Just trying to help. After all, the first line of the OP was:
"lets see who I can offend:"

I was just trying to make him feel successful and good about himself. Seems like I managed that.... smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In March-April I spent 6 weeks out in an extreme western suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, right next to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Beautiful country imo and the weather was just plain fantasic. Low 90s mostly, no clouds or humidity and the air quality was fine imo. Great weather for golf.

Not sure I'd want to be there in July though.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by old70
Detroit has a fair mix of all races, and there are tensions. The city government has proved its ineptitude time and again, but this current administration is looking at consolidating the people in certain areas so they can afford to provide emergency services. They have then considered razing the resultant empty buildings. Best thing that could happen to the city. Oddly enough, the movie industry has found Detroit useful, I know in at least one movie, it doubled as Sarajevo during the civil war. Easy to do in that pit. I find time and again that folks judge all of Michigan by Detroit, Flint and the southern cities. It's not an accurate assessment. There is a tremendous amount of farmland in the south, and some outright wilderness in the north. It's a great state for recreation, just a tough one to find a job in. I have high hopes since we got a republican govt' that has balanced the budget and is actively courting manufacturing and other industries. I hope they are successful, but it's a tough state to get industry into due to high labor costs. The expectations of the union labor may be the thing keeping industry from coming here.

by far i am not judging all of michigan by the southern cities, the friend i stayed with has a farm in upstate michigan and another time i can't wait to get up there. But i am going to fly when i do that.

Ron, I'm not pointing any fingers at you, I travel a lot, and I've actually had people ask me, 'oh, you're from Michigan, what part of Detroit are you from' and was basing my comment on those folks. Many don't realize just how big the state is or what we have to offer. BTW< two years ago, I attended two conferences in PHX, one in January, one in February. Almost hated coming home, going from 70 degress to 27 in 5 hours kinda shocks the system. If it weren't for AZ summers, I'd consider living there post-retirement. Loved the Ft. Huachuca area about 7 years ago when I attended a school there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
In March-April I spent 6 weeks out in an extreme western suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, right next to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Beautiful country imo and the weather was just plain fantasic. Low 90s mostly, no clouds or humidity and the air quality was fine imo. Great weather for golf. �

Goodyear and Litchfield Park have an interesting history.

Around 1915�1920, P W Litchfield (head honcho of Goodyear Tire and Rubber) bought-up about 35,000 acres around there for about twenty, twenty-five bucks an acre, to grow cotton for Goodyear tires. Cotton, of course, soon gave way to other fibers for use in tires.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I'd expect a super-educated omniscient, unfazed by and inured to the plurality of sillybobbles, to know the distinction between incredulous and incredible.
laugh laugh laugh

You beat me to it.. Must be all that touted liberal edyoukashun... Heheheheee..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken, you are such a wonderful puppy dog...

Thanks, Amigo!

'Tis nice to see you using a complimentary ad hominem response!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Ken, you are such a wonderful puppy dog...

Thanks, Amigo!

'Tis nice to see you using a complimentary ad hominem response!

Any time, any time.

What was it you said? Oh yes, " super-educated omniscient, unfazed by and inured to the plurality of sillybobbles"

ad hominen begets ad hominen is how I call it.

Now Mr. Vocabulary Man, how is it that you didn't know what a Renaissance Man was? For a frustrated English major, you sure are a ball of contradictions. But it does make you more entertaining.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As to the heat in phoenix, rather have the heat than that cold.
Speaking of which, it was clear all the way back until i hit flagstaff, about 125miles north of phoenix, and the snow.

I can dress for cold weather, but when it gets hot, there's only so much I can take off. YMMV smile

Here's a nice video of a comparable Jeep. Cool stuff!

Have an A1 Day!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Next trip, use I-80 as your main route, but take the time to jog off it and take some alternate roads. You might find some good things.

almost did that on the way back, as i wanted to go to topeka, and manhatten kansas. I believe 80 runs near there. Family lived there in the 1850's and so on, still have cousins there and a bunch of family in cemetaries there. They moved from indiana to kansas, and from there to arizona in the 1890's.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
In March-April I spent 6 weeks out in an extreme western suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, right next to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Beautiful country imo and the weather was just plain fantasic. Low 90s mostly, no clouds or humidity and the air quality was fine imo. Great weather for golf.

Not sure I'd want to be there in July though.

actually one of the routes north from mexico with the drug runners is to the south of the estrella mountain range where you can hook up to the estrella parkway and then to I10

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
that poor jeep has been modified.
The one i bought has the correct military colors and original engine and stuff under the hood, including the shovel under the hood. Has the military top, pintles, and so on. Basically it looks like it did 6/53 when it was delivered to the army from toledo ohio where built.
I was thinking of stopping and taking a picture of it next to willys blvd in toledo.
Unlike the WWII jeeps, it has the axe on the rear side top of the passenger compartment. 5.38rear end too by the way and 70horse power with the F engine. Step up from the L 55hp WWII engine.
My wife things I am off the deep end. Now have a 42ford script jeep, a 44ford, 45willy's, 49cj2a, the 53m38a1 and a 72fj40 toyota.
My diesel polluting 98 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 by the way towing a trailer and the jeep got about 18.5mpg round trip. The M38 may have a pedestal mount and a M2 Browning in the back for the julyfourth parade in prescott. Am trying to get my wife and daughter to make some W.A.C. uniforms to drive me around in the parade.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
almost did that on the way back, as i wanted to go to topeka, and manhatten kansas. I believe 80 runs near there.

80 goes through Nebraska.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ron, you live in Az., feed goats, and don't eat cabrito? smirk

Last edited by eyeball; 11/08/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.