Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We were just taking a break here at work and one of the blow-hards was going on about his hunting spot and gear for the upcoming rifle deer season that opens this weekend.

First thing that got my attention: "Yeah I've got my 30 foot tree stand all set up and ready," he says.

"The one you bought at Bass Pro?" I asked, knowing that he bought a Sniper Intimidator ladder stand that's 18ft to the rail, 'cause they were on sale and I bought one just like it at the same time.

"Yep. I can shoot all the way to the north tree line out of it. I've picked off several coyotes the last couple weeks, that were trotting along that tree line."

I know the place and know that it's 650 yards to that treeline from his stand, so I stated that.

"Damn, you hit a trotting coyote at 650 yds????" another guy pipes up.

"Yep. Three of 'em in the last two weeks."

"So what kind of rifle are you using?" I ask.

He pauses just a second then lays this interesting piece of firearms info on us: "It's a Winchester lever-action semi-automatic 7mm Remington Mag. First thing I did to it, right out of the box, was to send it off and have a 42 inch bull barrel put on it."

"Really??"

"Yep. It came back and I still couldn't keep it on the ground, so I sent it off again and had a special 6-inch BOSS put on it, with all the ports pointing straight up. Those 7-mags feel like somebody dropping a cinder block on your shoulder, and you can't keep 'em on the ground if you don't do something to tame 'em."

"A Winchester lever-action semi-automatic??? What model is that?" I ask.

"I don't remember."

"How long you had it?

"Bought it new about 10 years ago."

"Is it a SXR?"

"Yeah, something like that. And I also sent it off and had the action gutted and got rid of the lever. I just wanted a pull bar on the back of it to cock it with. And I put a composite stock and a bipod on it, too."

"Uh huh... I bet that bipod works good up in your ladder stand."

"Oh yeah, works perfectly and with that bull barrel and BOSS it just goes 'pop', 'pop', 'pop', and she hardly moves now."

I was having trouble keeping a straight face, so I excused myself from this very educational conversation.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
laugh laugh

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Please have the same conversation tomorrow, and tape it for us. Need a good laugh occasionally. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Skeezix
We were just taking a break here at work and one of the blow-hards was going on about his hunting spot and gear for the upcoming rifle deer season that opens this weekend.

First thing that got my attention: "Yeah I've got my 30 foot tree stand all set up and ready," he says.

"The one you bought at Bass Pro?" I asked, knowing that he bought a Sniper Intimidator ladder stand that's 18ft to the rail, 'cause they were on sale and I bought one just like it at the same time.

"Yep. I can shoot all the way to the north tree line out of it. I've picked off several coyotes the last couple weeks, that were trotting along that tree line."

I know the place and know that it's 650 yards to that treeline from his stand, so I stated that.

"Damn, you hit a trotting coyote at 650 yds????" another guy pipes up.

"Yep. Three of 'em in the last two weeks."

"So what kind of rifle are you using?" I ask.

He pauses just a second then lays this interesting piece of firearms info on us: "It's a Winchester lever-action semi-automatic 7mm Remington Mag. First thing I did to it, right out of the box, was to send it off and have a 42 inch bull barrel put on it."

"Really??"

"Yep. It came back and I still couldn't keep it on the ground, so I sent it off again and had a special 6-inch BOSS put on it, with all the ports pointing straight up. Those 7-mags feel like somebody dropping a cinder block on your shoulder, and you can't keep 'em on the ground if you don't do something to tame 'em."

"A Winchester lever-action semi-automatic??? What model is that?" I ask.

"I don't remember."

"How long you had it?

"Bought it new about 10 years ago."

"Is it a SXR?"

"Yeah, something like that. And I also sent it off and had the action gutted and got rid of the lever. I just wanted a pull bar on the back of it to cock it with. And I put a composite stock and a bipod on it, too."

"Uh huh... I bet that bipod works good up in your ladder stand."

"Oh yeah, works perfectly and with that bull barrel and BOSS it just goes 'pop', 'pop', 'pop', and she hardly moves now."

I was having trouble keeping a straight face, so I excused myself from this very educational conversation.

You work with Lee24? shocked

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does he write lyrics for Da Yoopers songs?
"Ya, my only hope was Betty Lou,
she was the one,
a combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped heat-seekin shotgun."

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL I've always looked at that as cheap intertainment but it hard a hell not to just break out in a loud belly laugh. But then I've done it a time or two. Sometimes you just can't restrain yourself.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I almost picked one of those up in a trade last week. This one was in a wood stock though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I was the first man on Mars too, but that mission was classified.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 68injunhed
I almost picked one of those up in a trade last week. This one was in a wood stock though.

Got one too, but mines a .375 H&H made in SC. And it's a Supergrade

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 68injunhed

Was it made in South Carolina.....wait, they weren't making them in SC 10 years ago.......never mind.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I learned how to shoot elk the other day. Guy said the last one he shot a few years ago his buddy paced off at over 1100 yards.
Another guy in the office asked what he used while trying to cover a smirk.
Browning grade II BAR in 300 Magnum, use a Simmons 44 Mag scope and 168 Match bullets. All I've used since High School. Sighted at 100 yards in case I have to thread it through the brush.
Wow, how high did you have to hold?
Just held the bottom of the post on him, where the post runs into the bottom of the scope. Broke his neck, 1st shot. That BAR is a great elk gun!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
c'mon Skeezix you're pullin our leg eh?

did a guy really say that stuff and still make it across the street successfully?

and people say miracles don't happen......sheesh

I may put one of those 42 inch bull barrels on a Python

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

LOL!! Dan, this guy really was a security guard at a NASA facility in California years ago, and when we want some really good entertainment, we get him to talking about his adventures out there.

Yesterday, he recounted how he flew in the back seat of an F-14 from Edwards AFB to Pensacola NAS at high Mach to deliver a highly classified piece of avionics gear that was needed there for a special mission.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That sounds like that story about the guy that was fishing off that high bridge.He had no luck that day but he snagged a coleman lantern.The funny part of the story was the lantern was still lit.
I hope you didn't have on a good pair of boots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and I did it with my wife.....uh.. Morgan Fairchild,yea, thats the ticket.

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
c'mon Skeezix you're pullin our leg eh?

did a guy really say that stuff and still make it across the street successfully?

and people say miracles don't happen......sheesh

I may put one of those 42 inch bull barrels on a Python

Yeah, 2legit, you need to do that. One of his little design details that he mentioned was that after installing that 42" bull barrel, the rifle balanced perfectly right at the front of the receiver. So if it helped that Winchester lever action semi that much, it ought to REALLY help your Python.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

And I was the second man, but due to budget cuts I had to walk back.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I call BS.

I was there, and didn't see you anywhere.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The above conversations should be used as examples of why drinking alcohol while pregnant is bad.

The original international turd
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the auto parts stores in my old home town had a sales guy who was a notorious teller of tall tales. He had some illness, and was out sick for a while. Before he got back a large gnarly rock a foot or so in diameter appeared on their counter. It had a label that read, "...this is Jerry's kidney stone..."

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,341
Posts18,487,734
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.