Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hope all is well up there in the great state of Alaska. Thought you might find the following comment from a reader of the story humorous.

I've never heard of a Hurricane force storm hitting Alaska. Climate change still a myth?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45218633/ns/weather/#.Trqdb3LzI_c

Cheers all keep your feet dry.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As it says in the article, we tend to get storms such as this one on a fairly regular basis. It's not your everyday thing, but people who have lived more than a handful of years have seen them. Consequently, people sometimes don't heed the warnings as they should. This is (was) a potentially hazardous storm. Fortunately there is some ice forming which helps to buffer the wave action. Again, fortunately, that ice is not thick enough yet to cause damage when it gets pushed up; it simply piles into slush which makes a barrier to further wave action. That isn't true in all places, of course, so some may be getting more wave or ice damage, but we haven't really had it as bad as it looked like it could get. We may still get flooding after the strong northerly push since Bering Sea water isn't going to make it through the Bering Strait very quickly. Be interesting to see who got hammered. It wasn't a good storm to be on a southerly facing coast (like Nome for example).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's from MSNBC, i'm not surprised by their comments. I'd say most of them know nothing about Alaska's weather.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks in Alaska endure and do things on a daily basis that would be front page news if they happened in the lower 48. Just part of everyday life up there.

1Minute
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I still haven't seen the FEMA trucks...Where are they?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They'll be there next spring.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What those morons at pms-nbc don't realize is that we get these types of storms quite often. We just don't give them names and then stand there with our hand out to FEMA waiting for help we do not deserve nor want.

Oops, looks like others have said the same thing. I guess I should have read the entire thread first.

Last edited by AlaskaFE; 11/09/11. Reason: because I'm not awake enough yet to have read everything posted.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE
What those morons at pms-nbc don't realize is that we get these types of storms quite often. We just don't give them names and then stand there with our hand out to FEMA waiting for help we do not deserve nor want.
yup!.......u got either got grit...or u should get.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I need to build a pad for my new FEMA trailer. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE

ouch

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

Hey, maybe we can get a group discount on trailer pads? laugh

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
just throw some pallets down on the tundra.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still waiting for my check from the last storm. Come on FEMA, I need some new studded tires for my truck. crazy

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I'm still waiting for my check from the last storm. Come on FEMA, I need some new studded tires for my truck. crazy

Well hey, now that you mention it. I could use some cash to finally buy a cabin up in the Lake Louise area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went for a little 'spin' around town on the sno-go. Winds are presently just under 40, gusting to just under 50. It all looks pretty benign. All except for the water. Our typical single daily tide which would normally be a very high tide at 5 feet is showing the promise of what they were predicting. You can see the water creeping inland as you watch, a veritable bore tide, relatively speaking. That's my only worry.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
You may be bootstrappy as far as handling stormy weather, but Alaska gets more federal taxdollar assistant per capita than any other state.

"At the bottom of the pyramid, America is a ruthlessly punitive and accountability-obsessed society. At the top of the pyramid, it is endlessly forgiving. Before trust can be restored, accountability has to be established."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Only problem with that is that it isn't distributed equitably per capita. wink

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
[quote=heavywalker]Hope all is well up there in the great state of Alaska. Thought you might find the following comment from a reader of the story humorous.

The lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

These types of storms happen and have little to do with the climate change debate. The problem is the lack of attached sea ice. In the late 90's and early 2000s the NW Coast of Alaska started to see sea ice form much later than it usually did. The common thinking was we pulled our boats out of Kotzebue's moodiest small boat lagoon by Sept. 25th ish because the ice would come over night freezing your hunting rig till the next summer (June). I remember that in 2005 we had a warm spell that melted the lagoon ice in early Oct and we boated/hunted for another 2 weeks or so. By 2007 we could keep our boats in the water until Oct 5th ish with little fear of ice. Later sea ice, longer boating season warmer water and air.Good or bad?

Thee benefit of solid, land fast fall sea ice is it acts as a cap on Kotzebue Sound keeping storm surges from damaging low lying areas like Kotz, Point Hope and Kivalina. We are seeing later solid sea ice and earlier break up which is also a safety problem for sno-go travel. Global warming? Climate change? Time will tell.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
At least we are not going to be subjected to bammy's nonsense today as he shuts down all the rest of you guy's media. We will not suffer the fools intentions of disrupting our services. We will not be told the sky is falling.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by ironbender

A Maxi-Pad I am guessing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.