Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was looking over at MidwayUSA and the older Leupolds are pretty much cleared out, with new blurbs and coming soon on the VX I and VX II's. Here's a copy and paste of the new stuff. No new photos yet, hope they don't ugly them up.

1. VX II
The next generation Leupold VX-2 redefines high performance, durability and value. Featuring the Index Matched Lens system with lead free glass and edge blackened lenses, the VX-2 offers the brightest, most vivid and unsurpassed clarity of any rifle scope. Finger adjustable 1/4 MOA click windage and elevation adjustments allow quick and precise zeroing. A custom Dial System is available on 8 VX-2 models and provides increased long range accuracy. With Leupolds industry leading waterproofing with Argon/Krypton filling, you can be sure your scope can withstand anything mother nature throws its way. The sleek, classic lines and stylish gold medallion create a durable scope that is as functional as it is aesthetically pleasing. The ergonomic eye piece is now a true fast focus without the hassle of adjusting a lock ring. These scopes are covered by the unsurpassed Leupold lifetime warranty.

2. VX I
The redesigned Leupold VX-1 series is better than ever. Leupold has fine tuned the VX-1 by adding all the details that make a Leupold top in class. The new industrial body includes a streamlined eye piece that tapers down smoothly to the lock ring, all without sacrificing the classic Leupold style. Using the power selection ring is easier than ever with the added grip of the raised finger tab. Turrets are all finger adjustable and come with turret caps. Leupold has combined premium optical performance with environmental friendliness by using 100% lead free glass in all the VX-1 scopes. The lead free MultiCoat 4 lens system provides a premium sight picture and optimal light gathering ability. The classic Leupold rifle scope has been enhanced with a gold plated medallion that carries the Leupold symbol on the turret. The bottom of the turret also displays the product identification, and proudly displaying that your scope was American designed, machined and assembled. The VX-1 line comes with lens covers and is covered by Leupolds lifetime warranty.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Appears the VX-2 is what the VX III was and the VX-1 is what the VX II was or darn close. A little shuffing as they did last time. How does the new VX-2 compare to the contiued(?) VX III? All perhaps to get pricing more competive with those taking market share away?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought I read somewhere that leaded glass was better than the tree hugger non lead, but optics companies seem to be trying to sell that as a good thing.

at the rate the vx 6 comes out, we might see these models 2 years from now.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch for retailers to dump the current VX-2's and maybe snatch a 2x7 cheap enough to have a reticle change for less $$$ overall.

I just went to Leupold's custom shop site and very few options for scopes are listed. Looks like several lines are up for a change.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 11/11/11.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
The ergonomic eye piece is now a true fast focus without the hassle of adjusting a lock ring.

Boo! No thanks. I'm perfectly happy with the "hassle" of the current lock rings. The fast focus means that it just may unfocus itself while hunting.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The ergonomic eye piece is now a true fast focus without the hassle of adjusting a lock ring.

Boo! No thanks. I'm perfectly happy with the "hassle" of the current lock rings. The fast focus means that it may just unfocus itself while hunting.

+1, that is about the only thing I really liked about Leupold is the locking eyepiece. Wonder if the VX1 will now have click adjust?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate the locking eyepiece!!!!!! its adjustment is so fine that your eyes start to strain before you can realize is it better 2 turns back or 1 more turn ahead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing more useless on a hunting scope than the fast focus eyepiece. Yet rely on industry to sell it as an improvement

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tony
Appears the VX-2 is what the VX III was and the VX-1 is what the VX II was or darn close. A little shuffing as they did last time. How does the new VX-2 compare to the contiued(?) VX III? All perhaps to get pricing more competive with those taking market share away?

Well it makes sense.

They had to do SOMETHING to the VX-1 series to make them at equal to the Redfields scopes in features.

If the new VX 1 scopes have the locking ring and the finger adjustable click turrets, I would rather have one of them than the new VX-2s..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I like the sound of the new VXI; looks like finger adjustable clicks, Multicoat 4 and still has a lock ring ocular. Much like the current model VX II's for a lower price. I could buy one of these.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like the sound of the new VXI; looks like finger adjustable clicks, Multicoat 4 and still has a lock ring ocular. Much like the current model VX II's for a lower price. I could buy one of these.

Same here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think they could come out with some sort of new name?

Leupold for sale..

"What model V, VX, VX1, VX-1, etc."

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just got a sale catalog from Cabelas. VX-1 and VX-2's being sold at discount prices there as well. About $30 off regular price.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Sounds like a winner to me. Let's hope it is sold at a lower price than the current VX II's.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you hunt where you can shoot a buck at 75 yards or 350 yards the fast focus is very nice especially if you have to shoot thru a hole in the brush on the edge of timber 350 yards away. Or if you are checking out a rack at 350 yards. IMHO
Buckfever1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I'm checking out a rack at 350 yards, I'm using binoculars.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
buckfever1,

How do you gain anything by fast focusing in the field? I have tried several times and don't seem to get things any sharper once I get the crosshair sharp and use the sidefocus or A.O.

By the way I'm with you on checking horns with the scope. A few weeks ago I found a buck with my binos. I could not tell what it was without looking though the scope. which I turned up to 16X. It was a three by four at 192 yards.

The next day I found a couple spikes. I could not make sure one had no fork without putting the scope on them. It had to be a spike.

Binocs are good but limited.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 eyes are better than one.......or at least mine always worked that way.

If one has a bino on the same power as a riflescope (monocular) than I believe the bino view will give more detail, assuming equal glass quality.

Years ago, I had a 'doe' turn into a button buck one morning after checking him out a long time while standing broadside 100 yds away, using a 4-14x Leupold - on 14x. Same thing on a 200 yd deer using a 6BR that I had mounted a 6-24x 4200, on 24x.

Optics in general have limitations - and cannot be 100% fool proof in identifying all details in the field on game, IME.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
How do you gain anything by fast focusing in the field? I have tried several times and don't seem to get things any sharper once I get the crosshair sharp and use the sidefocus or A.O.

I was thinking the same thing. Fast-focus eyepieces save me 10-15 seconds on initial set-up, but then, I never fiddle with the eyepiece after that for years. Unless I'm handing the rifle to someone else to shoot, what's the real benefit of this "feature"???

The VX2 didn't really need anything (other than a $50 price reduction). I can't believe Leupold's been making the VX1 for so long without click adjustments.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If I'm checking out a rack at 350 yards, I'm using binoculars.

Let me add that if the deer in question is in the brush and I'm not sure whether it is a big buck, a doe, or a human, the binos are coming out. If I see a lot of rack (the deer kind) and it's about to head over the ridge, the rifle is coming up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,721
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.