Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
We've always been meaning to try it but either forget or it gets damaged. Beyond that, has anyone here kept the liver and how do you prepare it? Can I do the standard "liver and onions"?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Everyone that I know that has tried it (and likes liver generally) has said they would never touch it again. I have never been brave enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Liver and onions, just like beef liver.
Sposta be good for you!

Most seem a little squeamish about the liver, but will eat the heart.

My Dad had a hunt camp trick, he would cut holes in the liver to disguise it as heart, and fry it.

The more squeamish would glean the pan for the heart meat (with the holes) and never knew they were eating the liver.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup, it's pretty darned good. Karen is the cooked liver-lover in our family and she adores elk liver.

Heart? Dang, I never, ever met a heart I didn't LOVE.

Raw elk liver is quite excellent. I actually like it a lot. Better than deer, but ANY raw liver is fantastic.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Properly prepared elk liver is just plain awesome. I would suggest trying a spike elk liver soaked over night in salt water rinsed and sliced about 1/2" thick. Cook the onions first then cook the liver medium rare. Salt and pepper to taste. Push the onions and liver to a separate plate and make gravy with the pan leavings. Serve over toast with a splash of Tabasco - that is GOOD eating!!

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Yup, it's pretty darned good. Karen is the cooked liver-lover in our family and she adores elk liver.

Heart? Dang, I never, ever met a heart I didn't LOVE.

Raw elk liver is quite excellent. I actually like it a lot. Better than deer, but ANY raw liver is fantastic.

Steve

That aint right!! shocked

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Exactly!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Here is a visual aid for those who need a picture

Last edited by rikker; 11/10/11.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It has its own taste, not bad just its own. Much like cow liver. Fried up with goodies its very good. I also like the heart better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Heart ROCKS

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Elk liver is great, well done with onions. Secret is to skin it before slicing to cook. Roll in flour and fry. smile

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never cared for liver, elk, beef, or otherwise, but it's very healthy meat. If it has white spots don't keep it. They're parasites. That's pretty rare around here, though. I've only seen it a couple times in my life.

The heart, now, that's a different story. I love it baked with dressing, stovetop or homemade.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Take a parasitology course and then tell me how appealing that liver is.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It was always a tradition in elk camp to have a meal with fresh liver and onions. Wasn't all that fond of it as a kid, but it is fantastic given a chance. The best way I have had it is a simple recipe..soak in salt water for several hours. Remove and bread with a 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp Mrs Dash. Fry till golden brown and remove from heat. Sliced onions are then cooked till tender..add liver back in with the onions to warm then serve.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have found that I love raw elk liver cut up into 3/4 inch squares! Makes great catfish bait and then you really have some good eating.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love elk liver as well as deer liver. Bigwhoop, just cook it as you would any other liver. Personally, I like it done medium well with onions. Good stuff!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Brine overnight, rinse, pat dry and thinly slice.
Slowly sautee 4 onions thinly sliced and set aside (covered and warm).
In the pan where the onions were, heat to high, and add several slices of pancetta then the liver.

Cook the liver briefly on all sides until done, add the onions and toss together to mix.

Place in a serving dish and drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jryoung
Brine overnight, rinse, pat dry and thinly slice.
Slowly sautee 4 onions thinly sliced and set aside (covered and warm).
In the pan where the onions were, heat to high, and add several slices of pancetta then the liver.

Cook the liver briefly on all sides until done, add the onions and toss together to mix.

Place in a serving dish and drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.

The one time I tried elk liver it tasted very bitter. Does the salt water bath help this? I like bovine liver just fine.

Like DZ I think heart is the MEAT. Too bad I practically blew this years elk heart to smithereens.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
We've always been meaning to try it but either forget or it gets damaged. Beyond that, has anyone here kept the liver and how do you prepare it? Can I do the standard "liver and onions"?

I've only tried 3 kinds of liver: deer, elk, cow. To me, cow liver is "strong", deer liver is "mild", and elk liver is just like deer liver but big like a cow liver. If you like it, there's lots of it. If you don't like it, there's lots of it. smile

Personally, I quit eating liver. I used to think I liked it, but then one time mom mis-labeled a package as steak to fry. It stunk like [bleep] when I cooked it. It had this weird texture like it was badly lockerburned or something. It was just NASTY. A couple days later I looked at it again and realized what had happened. I decided if I don't like it when I don't know what it is, I don't actually like it, so I quit eating it. I give it to my dad and aunt instead.

I've never been a fan of liver and onions. I don't like onions cooked with meat. We'd roll it in flour and fry it in bacon grease. Mom would fry taters, then make gravy from the liver drippings. I'd usually ask for spinach to go with it. Back when I thought I liked liver, that was one of my favorite combinations.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I eat livers of cow elk and calves, and they are consistently good. But, after trying rutting bull elk liver twice - never again. So, the answer depends on the elk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.