Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have one that's NIB, never even been put together. Had another one that I hunted with for years. Although a bit on the heavy side I think they are one of the sweetest shooting auto-loaders out there. Any other original Super X fans out there?

`Bring Enough Gun`
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the Trap and Skeet versions...both unfired although I will get around to shooting them one of these days....

I believe they live up to their accolade as the semi-auto version of the Model 12. Very well made guns. Only thing I did to mine was replace the gas tubes with stainless ones....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just had one in the shop a few days ago where the owner complained it 'wouldn't cycle shells'.. So I loaded up 3 and we went outside to test fire.. One shot - the bolt went nowhere .. laugh

I took off the forearm wood and lo and behold, there was NO O-ring and NO gas seal.. Duh!! No wonder.. Fixed that and took 3 shots in rapid fire.. A bunch of coal-like crumbs fell outta the action.. laugh The buffer was so old, that the first shot shattered it.. Fixed THAT - and now he's got a super (no pun intended) shotgun..

Those babies are VERY well built and solid as a rock.. But if you need parts, be ready with a fat checkbook.. Nuline Guns has all the remaining factory parts and they ain't cheap...

eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had a couple and one remaining. It was made into a slug gun. I really have no use for it but is has the slickest action of any autoloader I've owned, so it is probably going to stay with me for as long as I don't need it wink

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My go-to gun, have a lot of respect for these. I have had one for about 15 years, picked up three more this year. There are some weaknesses, the bolt buffers need to be replaced every thirty years or so, although the new models with improved elastomers may last 60. Magazine tubes can rust, and springs should be changed as on any repeater.

No particular need to suffer with Nu Line's prices and response. Wright's Gunsmithing is the other SX1 expert, they also make upgraded parts like magazine tubes, bolt buffers, spring sets, etc. They sell a tune up kit that is a good buy. Numrich also has a lot of parts in stock. Lumber shows up on Ebay occassionaly.

Not a bad idea to have a spare bolt handle or alter yours so that it can only be removed with pliers.

The Winchester forum on ShotgunWorld is a good place to go for info on these guns.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just updated our two about two weeks ago - put new bolt buffers and O-rings from Wright's in my Dad's trap model and in my field model. I bought my field model in 1976 when I was 20, first new gun I ever bought, was made in 1974, the first year of production. Sweet shooting old shotguns.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Odessa,

You dad's trap gun serial number is under 32,000 isn't it? It has the early style wood.

I have 2 Super X skeet guns, a super X trap by son shoots as a back up gun and my 26" IC field gun I use for pheasants. I paid
$245.00 for my pheasant gun new in the box in 1982.

Best auto ever made in America, only the Beretta 303 and 390 come close to rival the super x in quality.

I saw a clean up parts super x when Winchester discontinued the super x that had a field receiver, a trap marked barrel, a field forearm and straight trap stock, The serial number was 89,XXX which is the highest serial number I have ever seen or read about in Super X's.

Doc

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Changing the bolt buffer every 30 years will only work if you're not shooting it much.

When I was using one regularly it was every 5000-7000 rounds and they were the new ones. They were starting to look a little crushed and deformed by that time.

Crack a bolt from hitting the back of the receiver and you will be set back over $300 and they are not easy to find.

Bolt buffers cost practically nothing.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
All they are are SLAMMER GAMMERS.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Check the upland forum for a pic of a certain Model 59. It's getting some nicks.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Original bolt buffer in my field grade gun, impacted and chipping out at bottom.

[Linked Image]

Original bolt buffer after I pryed it out (and chipped out the nipple portion).

[Linked Image]

New bolt buffer from Wright's installed in my field model.

[Linked Image]

The trap gun was in the M42800 range - he had me sell it for him last week, that is why I went ahead and replaced the buffers - wanted the gun to be in good shape for the new owner. I hadn't shot my field gun in 17 - 18 years until last week, after I installed the buffers - still shoots great, sometimes I wonder why I like a pump so much!

Last edited by Odessa; 11/12/11.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
See what seems to be a little wear groove at 3pm in the metal cap below the buffer. It fits over the recoil spring inside the stock. The rod that extends from the back of the bolt fits into it. The point of wear is 3pm in the shallow dimple. If so and if it gets bigger it will eventually cause the Super-X1 to start jamming. The rod that fits into it will start vibrating and not follow a true path back and forward. Since it is attached to the bolt, the bolt will not run true and cause feeding problems.

If I'm actually seeing wear, it should be replaced. With additional use it will get bigger and eventually cause problems. The scratches seen on the cap are probably from the rod jumping out of its alignment inside the dimple depression.

You have to take the stock off to change the cap. Kind of beetch to change and you will have to compress the spring to do so. Watch out for a flying spring. smile

The original is soft aluminum. They make a replacement of steel.

Last edited by battue; 11/12/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.