Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to PM Ryan this and then I thought lets just go public, Some guys here may also have answers or opinions.

Ryan, I'm needing some info to sway my decision on a stock for a Left hand, Winchester M70 .300 WSM Featherweight. I'm thinking standard fill.

Main focal point would be a trim, handy and mid-weight stock for a hunting rifle.

I do like the featherweight stock but some days I like the Schnabel, and other days not so much.

I think the Supergrade is out because of it's "beefier" dimensions. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

The Edge/Compact might have too short of a fore arm for a 24 inch barrel, Your thoughts?

The Classic could work, but I believe the Classic will have slighty "beefier" dimensions that the Featherweight, Yes?

I would have to imagine the FW would weigh a touch less than the Classic in comparable fill,Have you/can you weighed the diff between these two stocks with the same fill?

I'm being told the standard fill stocks will be around 32 oz's and the Edge fill will be around 22-24 oz's.

The factory wood stock is right at 36 oz which puts the rifle at 8.25 lbs, I'm thinking I will drop 5 oz by going to a featherweight standard fill, and I really want to stay under 8 lbs total. In fact 7.75 would be perfect.

I would like to stay as light as possible while using standard fill.

Do you have a FW standard and Classic on hand that you are able to weigh? Thanks, Ken.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ken,

If your looking for a slim and trim stock and wanting to be under 32 oz, the win featherweight is the way to go.

The supergrade and classic stocks have an overall larger forend as they take up to a #5 barrel contour where the win featherweight takes up to a #3. With a larger forend comes more weight.

I just weighed a painted featherweight and classic stock. The classic weighed 34 oz and the featherweight weighed 30oz. Now your stock may not weigh exactly the same but it gives you an idea of the weight difference.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put an Edge on my M70 FW in 7 WSM a month or so back. It is my second Edge - the other is on a 26" barreled M70 Classic in 7 RM.

The Edge is short and compact but not overly so. The Edge will weigh 21-23 oz depending on barrel contour and paint. That weight includes swivels and a 1" Decelerator at 13.4" LOP.

If you want to tote the rifle around, go Edge.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you want THE winner, wait a few months for D'Arcy Echols to get the slimmer version of the Legend stock on the market. McMillan makes D'Arcys stocks so I don't feel bad for saying this.

Nothing comes close to the Legend for a full sized M70 stock, and it's a pretty safe bet that the upcoming slimmer version will do the same for the lightweight stocks.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rick, Are you privy to info that I need to know about?

I just talked to Darcy 2 days ago and we talked at length,he never mentioned anything about a slimmer version in the near future.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
He won't commit to a time frame, but that is his plan.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is Darcy's Legend presently made for a short action M70?

If so, that is how I would go right now.My rifle with a standard Classic action, 24" barrel,and scope, and Echols Legend Edge weighs 7.9 pounds.

Plus the stock does a great job of handling recoil.Might be really good for a 300 WSM.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got a Compact pattern stock on my 300WSM Model 70 and don't find the forearm too short for the 24" barrel. If anything, I think forearms on most factory stocks are too long to begin with.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can get a short action Legend, It just seems most people familiar with that stock do not describe it as, trim or sleek.

It seems like the stock was designed for large caliber DGR rifles and Darcy even hints that way. The idea of taming recoil is way cool with me.

Bob, any pics or dimensions on that legend?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I've got a Compact pattern stock on my 300WSM Model 70 and don't find the forearm too short for the 24" barrel. If anything, I think forearms on most factory stocks are too long to begin with.

Would you be interested in getting me the length from the front action screw to tip of stock?

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Don't have the rifle here with me to measure, but here's some pics that shows the length of the forearm:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kenneth yes there are pictures of the Mashburn on here, but I have no idea how to find them.

The stock is not as trim as my Compact Edge,but I would not hesitate to use it on a WSM...it has little drop,a comfy grip,a nice comb,and is very easy to shoot;balances well.You are right about it being a stock for a magnum, but I figure it would work very well on a 300WSM.

LOP is 13 5/8ths on mine.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate it all guys,

And thanks to Ryan for his response, having Ryan around is like having a "mole" at Mcmillan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Model 70 Classic Sporter SG in an Edge Compact Classic........stock looks fine on the BA, balances great with weight solidly in my left hand as I like it.

Stock weighs 21.5 oz w/ 1/2" pad; as shown with Leopold 2.5x8 in Conetrol mounts, weighs 7 lb, 15 oz.

MM
[Linked Image]

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't know that MCM offered a Classic for Winchesters. Is it the same basic pattern as the Remington Classics?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not the standard (Remington) Classic.............it's the Compact Classic. Its quite a bit trimmer than the standard Rem. CLassic, more along the lines of a Mountain Rifle pattern & very close to the KS pattern, IMO.

Here's a KS for comparison.

MM
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.