Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I guess more details will follow, but I thought some folks on here might like to know.

He has been in a rest home for the last four+ years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, thanks for that, Bt, as Les was pretty much an institution and source of local gunny pride for a long time.
I wonder who is going to get that six foot musket he dragged to his shows (at the price of a firstborn child) for the last few years...

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is sad to hear.

Les made me a double tapered, full octagon Barrel for a custom 7mm/08 M88 Winchester I built for a friend in the late 1980s.

He was one of the old school Kalispell gunsmiths and learned his trade from John Buhmiller. His shop was an interesting place.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for that update.

The Kalispell connection is sure getting smaller between those who have passed on, moved or ceased working in the trade.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another arrow to a decrepit ol' heart already bleeding profusely!

Les hated Baucus. When I bought John B's Speed Graphic from Les and was writing a check to him, I said � straight-faced � "You spell your last name 'B, A, U, C, U, S,' right?" Took Les an instant to "get it," then everybody at the gun show heard 'im roar.

Tried to get Les to run for the Senate, on the theory that with both a Baucus and a Bauska on the ballot, Montana voters'd be confused enough to dilute the Baucus vote enough to retire Baucus. Still wish that he'd done it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May he rest in peace. Fascinating guy with a fascinating shop. He had a pretty good run.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Idared
Thanks for that update.

The Kalispell connection is sure getting smaller between those who have passed on, moved or ceased working in the trade.

I don't know about that, ID.. There is more going on in Kalisell than you think.. wink

Actually, the "Kalipell" gun trade is more in the whole Flathead valley rather than just in Kalispell proper.

Other than Monte Mandarino sort of retiring(he is still there) others are still at it..

Jerry Fisher moved back to Big Fork a few years ago. Barry Lee Hands is a young engraver who lives there who was just starting in the trade twenty years ago. John King is nationally known metal man who still in Kila.

The there are other barrel makers like Montana Rifleman, and McGowen and several others still in the area that were not even rifling tubes a 20 years ago.. There are also a lot of Shotgun Stockmakers down by Polson and a defense contractor (or two ) building AR platform rifles in Kalispell.

Then there is Definace Machine, who builds many of the best Remington clone custom actions for the trade and Lone Wolf stocks in Columbia Falls. There is also Serengetti/ Kilamanjaro rifle company in Kalispell .

You can get an entire custom bolt rifle- barrel action and stock(synthetic or wood) made entirely in the Flathead valley if you want.

Last edited by jim62; 11/11/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a Ballard Pacific we re barreled with a Bauska barrel years back, North of the Medicine line.

....He was a mite slow, but his product WELL worth the wait, That rifle shot well.

RIP, Old Timer

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not quite. Jim is right...there's a whole 'nother stack of top tier gun providers in the Flathead Valley. John Buhmiller, Don Tibbets, Les Bauska were three I knew through my dadster but there are a whole bunch of new-tech cutting-edge businesses beginning to gel. From military to full-custom to semi to tools, we have some real players.
It's neat.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by Idared
Thanks for that update.

I don't know about that, ID.. There is more going on in Kalisell than you think.. wink

I should have worded it, "The original Kalispell connection".

I know there is still things going on up there but most of those I remember in the 70s & 80s are gone or not actively practicing the trade anymore. Besides those mentioned Tom Burgess and Mone Kennedy quickly come to mind.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
IC B3

L
L
I must say, that I have known Les for many years and he had gone to high school with my parents--both deceased. I own several barrels made by Les over the years and have and will always cherish them. They are fine pieces of a barrel makers art. We are all saddened in his passing but he is happier now than he was before.

L
L
I must say, that I have known Les for many years and he had gone to high school with my parents--both deceased. I own several barrels made by Les over the years and have and will always cherish them. They are fine pieces of a barrel makers art. We are all saddened in his passing but he is happier now than he was before.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Originally Posted by larryo

Heard ya the first time.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
My family has known Les for probably 50 years, certainly 40 at a minimum. I had him rebore a barrel from .270 win to 338-06 about 1982. It was bent and wouldn't sight in. Took it back to him, he looked down the bore, wedged it in a piece of equipment and gave it a jank. Looked down it again and pronounced "that'll do."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you , perchance know that bunch in B.C. and Alberta, that just would not QUIT bombarding him with "orders" for heavy BPCR Barrels?

His stick floated HIGH.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for sharing the Baucus episode, Ken. It made me smile.

Les was a good friend and for 20+ years he was a daily visitor here at the store. It was so much a part of his routine that the UPS man even delivered a package to him while he was siting in here -- which prompted Les to remark that he was "Gettin' too damn predictable...."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about another loss to the community. Never heard of him or his barrels, but I know the feeling, our local 'smith has had a stroke, and no longer takes work, or even answers the phone.

Lots of years of memories, and metal shavings, and talent lost to the world.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.