Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Fellow Fire Members,
My hunting buddy just bought a Benelli R1 ARGO in 30-06 today at the gun show. This rifle is new to him so I have a few questions that I hope any of you who also own one can answer. They are as follows:

1. What has been your overall experience with this gun.

2. What kind of accuracy have you achieved with this gun and with what ammo have you had the most success?

3. Any problems or concerns?

Thanks guys, can't wait to hear from all of you. Have a great day!!!

may all your projectiles fly true!!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My son and I each own Benelli R1's - both 20" 30-06's, wood stocked topped w/ Trijicon 2.5-10x56 amber dot scopes.

Originally Posted by 7mm08okie

1. What has been your overall experience with this gun.

Overall experiences with the rifles has been very positive. I don't know the exact round count for the 2 rifles, but I believe it's close to a combined total of 900-1000 rounds. We have experienced zero malfunctions/failures of any kind.

Take the time to set the stock up w/ the included shims so that it fits right - makes a noticeable difference in shooting stuff on the run. I don't typically shoot at unwounded deer on the run but I've dumped so many pigs and coyotes w/ this rifle that I've gained a tremondous amount of confidence in my swing shooting.

Cleaning this rifle is a pleasure, particularly for anyone that has undergone the aggravation of trying to clean comparable autoloaders like the Browning BAR and the Remington 740/750 series. Dissassembly is quick, complete and the barrel can be cleaned from the rear like a bolt action.

2. What kind of accuracy have you achieved with this gun and with what ammo have you had the most success?

Both rifles seem to shoot about 2-2.5" MOA when brand new, settling down to ~1.5" MOA after the 1st 100 rounds or so. My rifle has considerably more rounds down the pipe than my son's and is continuing to shoot tighter groups as the round count gets higher:

[Linked Image]

We shoot Hornady 150grn SST's in both rifles. Truthfully, haven't tried to many different types of ammunition - it's cheap, accurate kills deer and pigs dead, discouraged me from looking any further.

3. Any problems or concerns?

I've never experienced a problem with it, but some folks have had minor POI drift from dissassembly / reassembly. Reading about it on the internet has "worked on me psychologically" and I usually clean my rifle spotless before the season, sight it in and then don't touch it again till the season is over.

I don't use my stock to dissassemble the barrel locking cap (doesn't seem like it will hold up long term), I have a compact 7/16" open end wrench that I use on the flat of the lug, no problems.

The trigger is a 2 stage trigger - give yourself some time to get used to it and you may like it. I have shot a lot of adult air rifles over my life and like the trigger on the R1 - it's not a match trigger by any means, but it is a perfectly servicable hunting trigger.

We've shot a pile of stuff with ours - love 'em!

My son shot this buck with his season opening morning:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope that helps....

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Life is just one damned thing after another

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.